• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another can thread...researched...need opinions...

cms81586

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2005
AZ
I've done a good bit of research and have narrowed my choices down to 8 suppressors for my Sako TRG-22. I'd like to actually hear a few cans but I'm deployed now and when I get home I want to place my order right away to get my paperwork started. I don't think I'd be disappointed with any of these but I'd like opinions of guys who have them. Please give details why you suggest the can you do. Here are my requirements:

-Thread On only...no muzzle brake or flash hider adapters
-Available in M18x1 threads...not rethreading the muzzle
-Repeatable POI shift
-Durable
-Sealed or break down...doesn't matter but prefer sealed
-Can weight isn't very important but I know it can affect POI shift. The factory barrel on the TRG-22 is heavy but not as heavy as some run
-.30cal capable of handling .300 WM (only using in .308 for now but if it's built to withstand .300 WM it will take .308 forever...that's my thinking anyhow)
-Under $1500 including tax stamp
-If possible... a thread on can in .338LM. I plan on buying a Sako TRG-42 in .338LM and I'd like to use the same suppressor on both rifles. What kind of performance will I get shooting .308 out of a .338 can? I'm guessing similar to a .308 out of a dedicated .308 can since it has more volume but I don't know. Most .338 cans are over $1500 before the tax stamp. Thunderbeast comes to mind. Others, such as the YHM Phantom .338 and then SAS Phoenix .338 are only available with muzzle brake or flash hider adapters. I'm accuracy focused and want to avoid everything but thread on cans. I only found one, that I listed below, that's thread on and under my max price.

Here are the choices I've narrowed it down to by category:

All titanium lightweight suppressors:
SAS ARBITER .308 TI (rated to .300 WM)
Thunderbeast 30P-1 (rated to .300 WM)

Titanium/Inconel lightweight suppressors:
Shark (Only rated to .308 though)
AWC Thundertrap TM Titanium .30 cal (rated .300WM but pushing the max of my budget)

SS Suppressors:
AAC Cyclone
AWC Thundertrap TM .30 cal
Gemtech HVT

.338 Suppressors:
AWC Thundertrap TM .338 LM
-This can is thread on, will be right at my max price after stamp, and gives me the "feel good's". I can use it on the TRG-22 I have as well as a future TRG-42 when I pick one up. I know it will be heavy since it's constructed out of 304 SS but the ability to use it on both rifles makes the trade off worth it.

Also, of the cans listed, who does full circumference welds and who does not? Where can I find out what type of baffle design they use? I have very limited access to the net (hit or miss most of the time) so I'm on here when I can but it takes forever for sites to load.

Thanks for the help!

CMS

Re: Another can thread...researched...need opinions...

Well I'll be, that is about the best windup I have seen as of late. Prepare yourself for PMs galore! But, regardless, you have narrowed it down quite well. I went through the exact same thing for a year and got to hear a broad and deep selection of suppressors. I have great hearing and worked hard at figuring out what actually sounded best 8" behind the bolt and 50 yards past the end of the muzzle.

What I ended up with is on your list, pressing your budget, is sealed, can handle the .338, pioneered cirumferencial welding (and a whole lot more), figured out to take the ring out of titanium requires work and other metals and has sold alot of cans for thirty years and, I figured, will be there 30 years down the road. Heard it, heard it against a broad number of others, happy as can be.

And, I don't know if you have considered they have <span style="font-weight: bold">a military discount of consequence .</span>

Impressive!

In your list for Titanium/Inconel lightweight suppressors you can go for the Tigershark can which will handle 300WM.

If you want an interchangable 338 <-> 308 you can look at JAWS 338 suppressors.

The new endcap design David came up with allow you to change just the endcap for different thread patterns/rifles.

B/t a TRG-22 and TRG-42 you only need the M18x1 thread endcap.

IMHO and all that.....

I have a stainless SRT Shadow rated for .300WM and shoot it on both my .308 and .300WM and I am happy with it.

However, I can already see the day where I will want a .338LP and a suppressor for it.

If subsonic isn't the be all end all to you consider getting a .338 if you even remotely see this in your future.

Lighter weight is more practical but will produce a different tone.

Good luck

have you looked at the new Yankee Hill 338 cans coming out. right now they only have a QD model but Im sure a thread on only can will follow. That would handle quite a few calibers.

Other then that I think I would go with a Shark.... I am getting one too. Have only heard good things about them.

give David a call on the Shark suppressors and he will get you squared away with everything as I have shot one of his 300wm cans on my 308 and there is no POI with it and he also has his new Jaws 338 can as well

I use a TigerShark .30 cal can on my .260 it sounds like a .22 rimfire going off. I also use a "Jaws" can on my .338 lapua...it sounds like a .22 mag shooting 300 gr scenars 2900 fps.

Shark cans....all the way when adding up all the options.

Tom Sarver
Thunder Valley precision

i also use the tigershark on my .308 it sound like a .22 rimfire. i get 1" poi change on 1 rifle and 2" on the other. thats not big deal.
sweet sound, love it!

Before you make your final decision, check out link below. I have one and it is amazingly quiet...as in no ears needed for comfortable shooting. Rock solid construction, 304 stainless tube, 17-4 ph stainless baffles (not updated yet on website...showing 304 stainless for baffles), 100% TIG welded. Dale will send you a mock up tool to thread on to your barrel. Thread it on snugly (as you would your suppressor), mark it at Top Dead Center, and send it back. When he builds the can, the baffles will be oriented at the proper location for minimizing POI.. usually will shoot .5" high from non-suppressed shot. Link below for the Bravo 30 can. Retail is in the 700.00 range I believe. As your active military, Dale may give you a discount. He does a lot of work for various entities in the military.
Steve

http://eliteiron.net/elite-iron-suppressors-page2.html

P.S. look at the rifle at the top of the page!
Steve

Or just buy the .308 can the Canadian Government just selected for their new sniper platform after almost two years of research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just buy the .308 can the Canadian Government just selected for their new sniper platform after almost two years of research. </div></div> Which one might that be ?

You left off the Gemtech Sandstorm. It's all titanium (13.3oz!), handles 300WM, and fits in your budget.

b

I'll check out the Elite Iron cans. The Sandstorm isn't avaliable in Sako threading. M18x1.5 is AI. M18x1 is Sako. Unfortunately that's out of the question. I'll have to check to see if they're offering M18x1 yet. The Tigershark (and I'm assuming Jaws) from Shark are both out of my price range. Still leaning towards the Thunderbeast and the AWC Thundertrap.

CMS

I haven't shot the thunderbeast, but I have a 762SD (same stack as the cyclone I think) and a Thundertrap. Without a measuring devise, the AAC can is audibly quieter than the AWC, and about 1/2 the weight. I also recomend checking out Elite Iron. I haven't laid hands on their 30 cal cans, but I have a 50 cal that I love.

What generation Thundertrap TI?

And here lies part of the big problem'

AAC can without its mounting system weighs 19.1 oz (remember that number)
Now we add a QD mounting systems weight at 4.2 oz, and THAT is if you want a QD mount on your precision rifle.
That brings us to...yep 23.3oz

Now we look at the Tundertrap TI, it weights in at 19.8 oz and is full auto rated. The 7.62-SD is not. The Thundertrap is lighter. Remember there is no titanium in the 7.62-SD. The Thundertrap TI is titanium, stainless steel mix to get the titanium ring out.

Now as to the sound. With the now two year old 5th generation Thundertrap TI next to the 7.62-SD there was, to my mind, no comparison. Not only that the frequency of the Thundertrap TI was much more masked as well. It is a soft hiss.

The Thundertrap will run you much more than the 7.52-SD. It will also outlast a good number of barrels.

Although it is made of Ti the 20oz. Thundertrap is still heavy for what is available. I do not have one but I do have a newer stainless Thundertrap. It is not as quiet as my much lighter SRT Ti, and not even close to my SRT Ti XL. Having many .30 cal cans I would say it is midrange.

+1 on SRT shadow XL Ti... Shark products would be my next choice. I shoot mine through 6mm's,308 and 300wm and works great on all.

here is a video (filmed in a calling contest which required filming of yotes being shot,,, i posted prior on hunting section) of 2 coyotes being shot by my 6mmVais wearing my SRT shadow XLT. They usually run from the super sonic crack but this one worked out well. Anyway good can.

Your on the right track and good to do the research so your happy with your purchase... good luck

Re: Another can thread...researched...need opinion

TRG-22, Black Hills 180 grain Nosler Accubond load with no can:

bT*xJmx*PTEyNjI2MTUzNzU2ODQmcHQ9MTI2MjYxNjA4NjkwNCZwPTIzNDQ3MSZkPSZnPTEmbz1jYWYxZTQwMDg2MTk*OGU5OTNmMWI4M2QzMzg3ZjA*Mw==.gif
<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2eqdzls&s=6" FlashVars="gig_lt=1262615375684&gig_pt=1262616086904&gig_g=1">
<font size="1">Original Video - More videos at TinyPic</font>

Same rifle, same load with AAC Cyclone:

bT*xJmx*PTEyNjI2MTU*MzIyMTcmcHQ9MTI2MjYxNjExMTc1MSZwPTIzNDQ3MSZkPSZnPTEmbz1jYWYxZTQwMDg2MTk*OGU5OTNmMWI4M2QzMzg3ZjA*Mw==.gif
<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=nyib0l&s=6" FlashVars="gig_lt=1262615432217&gig_pt=1262616111751&gig_g=1">
<font size="1">Original Video - More videos at TinyPic</font>

Excuse the brass fumbling and the long hair. I hate being filmed and I'm flying to Michigan tomorrow for a couple of days for work. Later this month, I'm also flying to Nebraska for work for about a week or so and I'm afraid I'm going to freeze my ass off in both places.

Another vote for Elite Iron. Dale builds an excellent can.