• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another FNG Seeking Assistance With Scope Selection (22LR Precision/ELR, etc.)

~JM~

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2020
USA
Just ordered a Bergara B14-R (22LR)

Need recommendations on a scope that I can grow into & perhaps swap onto a better rifle later. I always attempt to purchase Made in USA products. I also attempt to boycott any Chinese products. It is becoming more & more difficult to accomplish.

I bought the Bergara because I couldn't justify purchasing a $2.5K-$3+K rifle at this stage. Had originally thought a "nice" scope would be about $750 to $1K. I have since reevaluated that budget.

I "believe" I am looking for something in the 4-20X or 5-25X range. FFP. Some form of Christmas Tree type of reticle. The decision between MOA or MIL is difficult. MOA seems more familiar, but it appears that MIL is more popular & provides more options. Processing math in my head is not one of my greater strengths, but I could probably learn to do better. Parallax adjustment somewhere between 10-25 yds.

The local range offers 50yd & 100yd. Soon there will also be 600yd. Plenty of open country also available. The area is windy. There isn't any form of organized 22LR Precision shooting type of events yet. Recently bought a KYL/TYL target & have been enjoying that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Rmdashrf
There are alot of good scopes in the 1K range. You want a zero stop and the most magnification you can get. Check out Sport Optics for the Burris XTR II. They are giving free rings and throw lever. I would also look at Vortex line.

This sorta comes down to how close of a focus you need. Brownells MPO is right around $1k and is a good scope. If you want a bit more magnification Athlon Ares ETR is worth a look. If you want to stay under $1k, Meopta Optika6 5-30x56 is a nice scope.

In the 5-20x range, one of my current favourites is probably Element Nexus 5-20x50 for ~$1500 and it has very good close focus.

ILya

Look at the Vortex Strike eagle 5-25x56. Excellent reticle, tracks, a ton of elevation, locking knobs and good glass. I have had one on my Vudoo and have used it out to 500 yards. I would advise getting a 40 MOA base if you get one so you can use a lot of your elevation. Even a 50 MOA would work.

You said you reevaluated your budget. Is it still $750-1000?

Also no math in your head for either MOA or Mils. Run data, dial it on or hold it, shoot. Simple. If you miss then use the reticle like a ruler to get your correction and hold or dial it on. Forget any linear like inches.

Reactions: powdahound76
Strike eagle might be a good option if you could find one.
I would get a cronus or ares etr from gr8fuldoug at camera land for just a bit more than you budget.

Budget is not carved in stone.

I had looked at the Element Nexus & the NF NX8. They look very promising. Was trying to determine country of manufacture. At this price, it really needs to be a good fit for me.

Also looked at:

Unfortunately I have to make a leap of faith/sight unseen purchase.

I have a 30MOA bubble level base on the way.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to shoot to ELR with a .22 then look for 34mm tubes and nothing with less than 100 moa of elevation. You need a lot of elevation with .22s. To get to 400 it’s about 20 mils or almost 70 moa so you can see a scope with only 60 moa total will make it tougher and you will have to use the reticle.

Also if you are spending up to $1500 then you should be looking at the Razor II scopes also. They are made in Japan and finished in the US. Nice fit for your Spanish rifle. ;)

Reactions: Criver600
Anything but Vortex.
Their sponsored shooters are booger eaters.
ask @Rob01. He knows.

I kid. I kid. I do hear they will work for fruitcake though. 🤣

lot of good scopes in that arena, price range. Ilya is the scope whisperer, so weigh his thoughts well, he is more knowing than most anyone else.
a call to Doug at Cameraland sounds wise. He is good peeps and had legendary CS.

A buddy has the PST 2 5-25 on his Vudoo and is very happy thus far.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
If you are wanting to shoot to ELR with a .22 then look for 34mm tubes and nothing with less than 100 moa of elevation. You need a lot of elevation with .22s. To get to 400 it’s about 20 mils or almost 70 moa so you can see a scope with only 60 moa total will make it tougher and you will have to use the reticle

Good advice, my son-in-law and I shot 22's, 401 yards this weekend. I have a 20 Moa rail on my Winchester 52C, NX8 4 X 32x bottomed out at 19 mils, I backed off to 17 and held 5.4 using the Mil-C reticle. Son-in-law no rail, bottomed out at 12 mils and held an additional 12 mils with a Mil-X reticle. 30 Moa rail would be optimum

I'm looking at the Burris XTR III, Meopta Optika6 & the Element Nexus.

The Element Nexus looks good, but I'm concerned about start-up companies & longevity.

Burris is a known entity. No illuminated reticle, but not sure that's really necessary.

Meopta is another company that I'm not familiar with. Their web-site doesn't display the reticle design large enough for me to see the detail. (Or I haven't found the correct link)

The Brownells MPO looks interesting also. At first I thought it was too large & heavy, but some of the above are about the same.

What brand/type of rings should I begin looking at? How do I figure out which height rings I will need?

Thank you.

Last edited:
There’s a gen II razor in the px now with rings for 1550. I’d be all over that if in need and that fit the budget.
Rings need to be of decent quality to ensure that they are true and won’t bend the scope.

Any of the better brands should be fine. Night force, seekins, vortex, mdt, arc, etc.

For height it’s tough without the gun and scope in hand. Generally if you will be running a chassis with adjustable cheek weld I like a pretty high scope mount. If a low stock I like it pretty low. Others may have better, more specific methods!

Just arrived.

1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg