• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Another Ghillie Critique

InfantryM24

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Dallas, TX
Alright gents, let me have it. Obviously this pre-netting and jute, but all ideas and improvements would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

[img:center]
SL730710.jpg
[/img]

SL730709.jpg
[/img]

SL730708.jpg
[/img]

SL730707.jpg
[/img]

SL730706.jpg
[/img]

SL730705.jpg
[/img]

SL730704.jpg
[/img]

SL730701.jpg
[/img]

Re: Another Ghillie Critique

Side zip. Hmmm...is that something that might be able to be seen when worn. I'd put it on with a full length mirror to see if they can be made out as a non-natural edge...my guess is that they'll produce a ridgid edge (vertically). Just laying flat on the floor you can see the possibility of it presenting a flat edge (where the seams for the zipper are).

You were redundant with the buckles, good or bad you can't hide those or the straps very well on the front.

Squared edges on your reinforcement material can hang up on nature's bounty and result in tears. Rounded edges helps, but nothing's perfect when you're punishing it in the field. You might put some shoe goo on those to hold the edging down beyond the seams. You'll also find it difficult to blend the OD green material to the digi-flage; not impossible, just very difficult. You might explore the sponge method (it's on the hide) of rifle painting to simulate the digi-flage.

Is that an ammo carrier I see on your trousers? Make sure to cover up that light color that's contrasting with the rest of the trousers. You might want to break out your rifle and simulate a position...chances are you won't consider that to be tactically sound as it causes you to remove a hand from your rifle and fully extend to your rear (ultimately moving your ghillie and the eye draws to movement) before returning to the rifle.

What are the 2 long contrasting strips on the rear of the jacket, are they removable for cooling? I think I spotted a velcro closure neck as well...a button might be better suited, velcro isn't stealthy at all.

Just my opinion, but keep it simple. You're gradually getting complex here.

Good luck with the build and post up some pics during the netting and burlap/jute stages.

Thanks! Final touch ups with paint are a must. I like the sponge method. The vents aren't finished on the back and hopefully they won't even be visible when all is said and done. Got any paint ideas? All I have ever used is the Ultra Flat Camo by Krylon for rifles and previous ghillies. Seemed to work fairly well, but any other preferences would be great. What about putting something over the buckles to mask the outline? a canvas flap or something. I think you are right though...I tend to get too involved in the build and get carried away. Thanks for the input!!

You never did answer the question as to if that's a bunch of velcro? If it is, your money would have been better spent on Shoe Goo.

Locate that camo thread I was referring to and you'll have another excellent option to the Krylon AND with more color variations.
Thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1506735#Post1506735

You could always try the jute dye in a squirt bottle (touch up method), but the spray paint would likely adhere to the reinforcement material. Remember, some material will absorb some of the color which may result in an altered color (black may turn gray).

Buckles: as stated, those are a redundancy that you really don't need and more material isn't the solution. If you're intent on keeping the zippers, you could install a thin piece of material to mask the zipper slightly (like on the front of the flight suits), but you may still have the distinct hard-edge outline problem. By the way, zippers on the side of the body should ALWAYS zip toward the bottom with a keeper button...your arms in a low-crawl or sniper-crawl....well, you'll see if you try it out before you jute-up. You'll find that those buckles may leave obvious drag marks, will pick up nature's material, and may even hang up in brush creating noise, a trackable trail, and possibly positional discovery.

I tried to post this earlier, but the pc didn't agree.
Your shoulder straps appear to be duffle-bag straps. Granted they're functional, but can you quickly remove them and use them for something else in an emergency? I'd suggest military issue style suspenders, but yours will work for all intents and purposes.

Tips to try: Safety pin some material over those buckles and straps, then stand in front of a full length mirror (top and bottom must be worn), evaluate the outlines to see what stands out and if it creates an outline that looks like "tree cancer" which would be a non-natural bulge in an outline. I'd bet you'll have an even more pronounced outline than before making it even tougher to conceal.

Next, use some scrap reinforcement material and test-paint it to get the coloration you want to match your burlap/jute coloration.

Get out (pre-jute) and work a low-crawl and a sniper-crawl (low is slow yet quick, sniper is low using toes and fingers only push-pull and no more than 4-6 inches at a time then stopping for a few breath cycles) to see if your 1-piece frontal reinforcement and/or the zippers are going to pose a functionality problem. You'll want to make alterations to these BEFORE you jute-up so you don't affect the jute install. You can do this for the buckles as well to see if covering or removal is the best option.

Don't forget: <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Burlap/jute tie-in begins at the bottom!</span></span></span>

I think it looks good, just fix the stuff we talked about.

Good luck at school and I will see you and everyone one else when you guys get back. DONT DO ANYTHING STUPID AND GET DROPPED!

You know I will...always seems to find <span style="font-style: italic">me</span> though...I don't do anything to deserve it! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it looks good, just fix the stuff we talked about.

Good luck at school and I will see you and everyone one else when you guys get back. DONT DO ANYTHING STUPID AND GET DROPPED!

</div></div>

+1000! Work your tail off and pass that school!

BTW, OP asked for a critique so I gave an honest critique. Wasn't intended to be nit-pickey, it's a workable unit and what was pointed out are things that hopefully provide insight to what an OC may look for. Literally dead-giveaways.

Hell yeah! I would not have posted this ghillie on this site unless I knew I would get some good feedback. This is not my first rodeo and I do appreciate the critique. I am not the most experienced person in field craft and just got promoted to a leadership position. I want to get as much from the experienced guys as I can, so I can relay that to the best of my ability to my joes. Thanks again for the critique and I assure you there was no harm done.

Just my opinion, but many of the ghillies that have been posted on the Hide have truly been works of art.

The love, patience, and frustration that go into the build are just mind-bending.

Keep us posted on how school goes.