• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Another Ghillie thread

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
There are some great posts here on how to make ghillie's. I have been able to get mine about done, with the help and photoes from Sierrawhiskey, Tburkes and others.
Maybe now someone could post some good info on how to make my nice fresh ghillie look old, nasty and like it is ready to go into the brush.

Thanks

Re: Another Ghillie thread

Roll around in the mud, let it dry in the sun. I want to see some pics though.

Tie it to a rope behind a quad/4-wheeler and hit the muddy trails, dry in the sun and knock the clumps off. Repeat if necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe now someone could post some good info on how to make my nice fresh ghillie look old, nasty and like it is ready to go into the brush.</div></div>

Noticed you're located in New Mexico. For ghillies that will be used in desert environments, I like to wet the ghillie in water and then put it in the dryer on low heat for 1 minute just to get the jute twisted up, but no longer than that or it'll ruin the effect and turn into a fuzzy mess. Immediately after the 1 minute, take the ghillie outside (while still wet) and drag it back and forth in the sand for a few minutes. Hang and let dry.

Find the nastiest shitstrewn stagnant mud and rot that you can find. Plop down and start rolling around and crawling.

aa.jpg

Then, let it sit in the sun for a week or so, moving it around every now and then.

Wash it in clear creek water, or a hose, to get most of the shit off it.

Great responses, thanks guys

Tsprink, Didn't take any pics as I was makin it, but I will put some up when it is done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roll around in the mud, let it dry in the sun. I want to see some pics though. </div></div>

+1

You truly needed to watch the History Channel's special on Sniper School to fully understand what that actually does to the material. I do believe that the 5 part series is available on youtube. What you do to the suit will be dictated by your environment. Your coloration package and veg will likely change from one to another.

It truly gets the material loosened up and helps it absorb some of the natural dirt in the area you're in. However, I've heard first hand (one of the field-ops guys correct me if I'm wrong please) that the suit should be dunk-washed then dried after a quality roll in the mud, grass, sand, and whatever else you choose (I know of a Scout/Sniper that rolled his in horse poo...not going to be me). The dunk-wash and dry is supposed to get the bulk of the nastiness out, while leaving in the absorbed coloration and keeping the suit from being matted (like wet dog fur).

Its not supposed to look like that? crap...

+1 to the muddy ditch. get down in it, do sugar cookies, low crawl, do snow angels, whatever you feel like. Just get that jute in the sh!t. It works wonders.

kudo's
july sniper comp with stalk coming in July, and I've begun my first ghillie--just for this event. this is good stuff , big thanks