• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another help deciding on an optic thread

Theblakester03

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2019
Hi there, I started a thread a few weeks ago looking for help deciding on a 20” .308 starter precision shooter (suppressed). Here’s how that thread started, “Howdy, typical gun guy here. Most of my shooting is with rifles at 50-250 yds. I hunt hogs/yotes and other critters with night vision and thermal scopes. Decided to begin testing the waters with medium-long range shooting (300-700 yds). Looking for a .308 with a 20” barrel. I don’t reload.”
Well after several replies and the fact that I had $600 in Cabela’s gift cards from a safety initiative at work when I came across a deal for the Ashbury Precision Ordnance Saber® M700™ Precision Bolt-Action Rifle on sale for $899, I jumped on it.
Now I need a 20 MOA rail (suggestions welcome here), some good rings and a scope for it.

To reiterate, it will be used on a 20”, bolt action, .308. It will also be suppressed with a QD suppressor
Local gun range goes out to 600 yards, but I’d like to learn to shoot sub MOA out to 800 eventually with this gun.
I might also want to hunt with this gun, generally from a static position, but could be as close in as 50-75 yds. I generally will shoot during daylight, but may hunt with it at dusk and dawn. (If shooting with it at night thermal scopes will be used).

As far as optics go, I’m open to suggestions, but I think I’d like an FFP scope and something in the 3-18 power ish. And something with a 50mm objective lens and a 34mm tube or a 56mm objective lens and a 30mm tube. Again I’m open to suggestions.
Finally, I’d like to stay under $1500 but could possibly go over if convinced why it’s a better deal.
Been considering the following scopes so far-
Vortex Razor HD GenII 3-18x50
Schmidt Bender Precision Hunter 4-16x50
Zeus’s Conquest V6 3-18x50
Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56
Steiner T5XI 3-15x50
Leupold VX6 3-18x50
Swarovski Z6 3-18x50

Sorry for the long post and once again I could also use help selecting a good 20 MOA rail and rings/scope mount to go with the optic. Any and all input is appreciated and thanks in advance!

What kind of reticle are u trying to get?will you be dialing or holding over? That might be the best way to decide with the budget you have.
Also are you trying to keep the scope size down or just don’t need that much magnification?

Lots of things to figure out yet it seems, but many people here, myself included, like to go by the "buy once, cry once" methodology.

I see you are looking to stay under $1500, but might be willing to go over. At least take a look at your absolute highest price point for the scope only. Our ZCO products are quite a bit above your price point stated, but the reviews being posted on this forum are exceptionally good and our price point quite a bit lower than other companies. Some might call this a very good value for the quality being delivered. Doesn't hurt to at least explore. The ZC420 might fit your requirements other than being at a higher price point.

Regarding rings, there are numerous brands that deliver very high quality including American Rifle Company, Spuhr, MasterPiece Arms, Really Right Stuff, Seekins, Badger, and several others.

Good luck in your search. With due diligence, you will find an option that will last you for many years of use and be a pleasure to use.

What kind of reticle are u trying to get?will you be dialing or holding over? That might be the best way to decide with the budget you have.
Also are you trying to keep the scope size down or just don’t need that much magnification?
I’d like some type of mil or Moa reticle. I want to get better at both dialing and holding over. From my experience with a 24 powered scope, the research I’ve done and the people I’ve talked to who shoot 1000+ yards, all that magnification isn’t necessary, so I planned on staying in the 15-18 power range.

Honestly... with the current bushnell deals, you would be hard pressed to find a better value in optics right now. I ordered a XRS2 and it comes with a kestrel, through GAP for around $1600. Or order the scope only through bushnell and get an open box XRS2 for like 1100ish. Or you can get the DMR2. There are better optics out there, but for the current prices, there isn't.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The Gen 1 Bushnell Elite scopes can he had for less than $1,000. They are decent and fit your requirements. The DMR and HDMR do not have a zero stop and only 5 MILs/rev if that doesn't bother you, but the ERS and XRS have 10 MIL turrets and a Zero stop.

Otherwise, I would look for a Gen 2 Razor 3-18. 10 MIL turrets, easy Zero Stop and great glass for the money.

Both these scopes have a great warranty on them so buying used should not be any issue.

There are some smoking deals in the PX, just be patient and keep a keen watch for them.

The Bushnell DMR2 Pro is one hell of a scope, and there's an open box deal still on the Bushnell website right now for under $1k. Or you can get the same scope WITH a Kestrel Sportsman from GA precision for $1400.

Reactions: 260284
I used to be a Bushnell fan and still have one of their elite tactical 6500 series scopes, but after buying a $1000 dollar scope of theirs, with an illuminated reticle, that bled into the outer lens and messed up the field of view, and having a pretty bad experience with their customer service over it, I don’t really want to go the Bushnell route.

I used to be a Bushnell fan and still have one of their elite tactical 6500 series scopes, but after buying a $1000 dollar scope of theirs, with an illuminated reticle, that bled into the outer lens and messed up the field of view, and having a pretty bad experience with their customer service over it, I don’t really want to go the Bushnell route.

The current illuminated reticles don't have issues like that, and a lot of things have changed with their CS. The DMR2 Pro, IMO, is the best deal going right now in your price range, either as an open box or with a Kestrel from GAP. The XRS2 with Kestrel (the open box ones are sold out) is a close second.

This must have been awhile ago though, even if you dont buy one of the dmr2s on sale, I would encourage you to contact their customer service again if you still have the scope. They were great with me on my one issue and are really trying to provide the best service they can.
Cant guarantee that they will consider a bit of illumination bloom an issue, I wouldnt, but it would be worth a try to see if they would be receptive.

Last edited:
This must have been awhile ago though, even if you dont buy one of the dmr2s on sale, I would encourage you to contact their customer service again if you still have the scope. They were great with me on my one issue and are really trying to provide the best service they can.
Cant guarantee that they will consider a bit of illumination bloom an issue, I wouldnt, but it would be worth a try to see if they would be receptive.
It was in August 2013.

I think you should go with the Zeus Conquest. Sounds like it will smoke everything else. It's like spotting shit from high above Mt. Olympia!

I think there are a lot of good options you’re forgetting. My advice, check the PX here for the best deals. Some even come with rings. If you don’t like it, you can likely resell it for a similar price and try something else.

This is what I did to try different reticle and scopes. So far I’ve been most pleased with the Sig Tango 6 I got. Great glass, great reticle, etc. I probably traded several before I settled on the Sig.

If you go used, you can get a $2500 range optic in your $1500 budget. Most times, you save $600-1000+ over new price. I have bought both new and used top tier optics. Unless you are looking for a unicorn, patience will lead you to your goal. Heck, even the very top of the heap come up for sale fairly regularly.

Reactions: Theblakester03