• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another help me find a rifle thread....custom gun-builders that I might not know of. Ideally short lead times or ready to ship stock.

TheDude219

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2022
NC
Currently have 0 bolt action guns... plenty of AR10's and 15's so looking for some guidance.

Want a Manners stock and lightweight. I am open as far as calibers go. Want to build up to 1000 yards (average would be 7-800). No desire to have something crush my shoulder every time I shoot (so no 338).

Looking to take a trip out west for larger game later this year.

I am aware of GAP, but that's about it as I really only shoot gas guns.

Thanks for the guidance.

Currently have 0 bolt action guns... plenty of AR10's and 15's so looking for some guidance.
7 mm PRC. It is a magnum round. At 1,000 yards, the 175 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter is still over 1,200 ft-lbs of energy, when my threshold is 1,000 ft-lbs. So, yeah, you can get the elk or moose on the next hilltop. It has less drop and more energy than the 7 mm Rem Mag. Backfire on YouTube pointed this out. The 7 PRC really shines past 500 yards. Below that, most magnums and some short actions are fine and only differ by an inch - ish. The 7 PRC, like the .300 WM, does really well in the wind and has less drop. Essentially, to about 500 or 600 yards, your average wind will only require holding left or right edge of the target zone (10-12 inches on an elk) into the wind. Just dial elevation for distance if you like moving along the x-axis.

Be aware that I am a .308 fan and have a handful of rifles in that. But 7 PRC is becoming my favorite.

The recoil I felt from 7 PRC in my chassis with not a lot of padding was about equal to a .308 at 150 gr. So, put on a cushy pad and have no flinching or ouch factor. I put on a cushy slip-on, no problem. Most chassis butts are not forgiving, at all.

The rest of the build is on you. But like others, I would advise spending your good money on the action, which will last a long time. You will go through barrels faster than the action, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: TheDude219
7 mm PRC. It is a magnum round. At 1,000 yards, the 175 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter is still over 1,200 ft-lbs of energy, when my threshold is 1,000 ft-lbs. So, yeah, you can get the elk or moose on the next hilltop. It has less drop and more energy than the 7 mm Rem Mag. Backfire on YouTube pointed this out. The 7 PRC really shines past 500 yards. Below that, most magnums and some short actions are fine and only differ by an inch - ish. The 7 PRC, like the .300 WM, does really well in the wind and has less drop. Essentially, to about 500 or 600 yards, your average wind will only require holding left or right edge of the target zone (10-12 inches on an elk) into the wind. Just dial elevation for distance if you like moving along the x-axis.

Be aware that I am a .308 fan and have a handful of rifles in that. But 7 PRC is becoming my favorite.

The recoil I felt from 7 PRC in my chassis with not a lot of padding was about equal to a .308 at 150 gr. So, put on a cushy pad and have no flinching or ouch factor. I put on a cushy slip-on, no problem. Most chassis butts are not forgiving, at all.

The rest of the build is on you. But like others, I would advise spending your good money on the action, which will last a long time. You will go through barrels faster than the action, in my humble opinion.
Thanks for the details! Will do some digging

Here's a pretty long list of great builders.

Altus.

They’re turnaround was fast, their product is great, and they have great comms.

They’ll be building my next rifle once I’m ready.

What kind of scope you looking for?
Well, I need 2 so I'm a tad more price sensitive than I have been in the past. Love my ZCO's but I have this and a 6.5 creedmore in need of glass, so I want to stay in the $2500 range per scope. Was looking at the NX8 4-32 (never owned a nightforce) but the Ziess S3 has my attention... decisions decisions

have used them twice and I will go back to them when I am able to get another they did magic with my 6.5 cm and the mdt acc you would have to contact to find out how soon or long it would take to have your gun built .

You don't need a gunsmith other than to chamber a barrel. Save the money, time and aggravation and put it together yourself. You will be able to build alot nicer rifle for your money.

Want a Manners stock and lightweight. I am open as far as calibers go. Want to build up to 1000 yards (average would be 7-800). No desire to have something crush my shoulder every time I shoot (so no 338).

Looking to take a trip out west for larger game later this year.

I am aware of GAP, but that's about it as I really only shoot gas guns.

Thanks for the guidance.
Just go to GAP. That’s your best bet to get manners stock rifle soon.

If they don’t have it in stock just enjoy the ride and get exactly what you want and wait a bit