• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another Homemade stock build

Got Diesel

Minuteman
Aug 16, 2010
N. Kansas City, Mo
Well I finally built another stock from scratch. I had built one earlier in the year and planned on starting the next right away. That didn't happen, however I was wanting to have a new one built before deer season started. The build went the same way as last time. These are the only pics I have right now. Need to take some better ones with the camera vs. the cell phone.

Previous Build Thread

Here are the pics I have of this build. This is my .308 Win

IMG_0935.jpg

I figured out that I can build two from one of the blanks that I laminate together.

This is the test fire to make sure nothing was going to come apart before I spent time finishing the stock.
IMG_0955.jpg

Here is how it shoots.
IMG_0959.jpg

Don't mind the messy counter
IMG_0957.jpg

Hanging out in the deer stand.
IMG_0989.jpg

Two brain stem shots. The 178 A-Max nearly decapitated both.
IMG_0964.jpg

The only thing that I really changed up was pillars both front and rear. I can pull the action from the stock and return with no point of impact shift.

Re: Another Homemade stock build

Good work. DIY'ers is what makes America great
smile.gif

Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty happy with the way that they are turning out. Extremely comfortable to shoot also.

I LOVE DIY Stuff! I'm curious how much these weigh? And how many hours, ball park, went into making one?

Thanks

I will get a weight on one tonight.

I can have one to the point of being ready for bedding in a couple of hours anymore. I do the inletting differently now which really speeds things up. I have drawn up the inlet model in sketchup and print that out at a 1:1 then trace that on some scrap plywood and cut that out on the bandsaw. Then I use router template guides and go to town on the inlet.

Awesome DIY, really like the old school wood finishes on rifles. Brings you back to when the only stock choice for your dads gun safe were all wood.

I recently acquired three Mosin-Nagant 91/30's. I think I'd like to use one as the basis for a homemade stock project. Looking at your work simply turns up the heat under me.

Greg

That's pretty light, are you using Birch plywood? Or perhaps something even lighter for the centerline of the stock, & then some birch ply on either side?

Greg, go for it. There's really not much to making one take your time and think the process through.

Yeah they are a lighter than they look. There are four layers of half inch birch. Then the forend gets widened with 1/4" pieces of maple.

I think I will, given this topic's inspiration. However, my workshop is out in the garage, and temps there this past week were in the single digits F, mostly above zero, indoors.

I plan to start with a layup of slabs, sliced to array the grain at small angles to each other. I believe that kind of lamination will provide the best stability/strength and visual impact. The layup will provide the basis for the inlet, with shims and bedding completing the inlet per se.

I will make the first from simple pine shelving, and incorporate pillars directly into the layup.

I will be using Gorilla Glue and clamps for the lamination.

I like the way the forend and butt have cheek panels, and especially the way their wood grain has been incorporated into the motif.

If I understand you right you are planning on doing your insetting during the lamination process? Interesting idea. Should work well just need to measure everything carefully.

I need to show some pics of how I am doing the action inlet now. It works well and in reusable for whatever stock maybe next. I will try and get some pics up later this evening of how I am doing it now.

Plans are vague right now, but the M-N's action appears to have essentially straight up and down lines. I believe the lamination process could be adapted to provide an inlet that should only need minimal glassbedding.

I'm beginning to see how/why the Finns took advantage of the M-N's basic design to reverse engineer the M-39's etc.

Pictures, etc., of any/all of the processes/techniques you employ should be highly helpful.

Greg

I think I want one...have you thought about creating a website and doing this part time? those look really good!

The 243 Winchester which is the 3rd build weighs in at 12.75lbs. As you see sitting on the shooting bench. That's a Savage long action with a 26" ER Shaw var,ing contour barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I want one...have you thought about creating a website and doing this part time? those look really good! </div></div>

I have thought about selling them but that will have to wait for the time being. Right now I am building them in my basement as I just have a carport for a garage.

I am pretty sure that I have found a way to duplicate the palm swell area but haven't built what I need to do it yet. Once I get this accomplished I think I could build one in about an hour and have it ready for bedding and paint.

Thanks for posting your work; it looks like you've achieved a good result! In your other thread you said you use "cabinet grade birch plywood." Is that a pretty common material? Is is much different than plain plywood from a lumber yard? I've seen some kinds of specialty plywood that have many thin layers, but I'm not sure where you would get them. Is there any special way you orient the layers that you stack and glue together? What are you using for finish? Is it like regular krylon spray paint?

The plywood comes from Lowes or Home Depot. It is not just normal construction plywood. This is sanded on both sides and has less voids and knots in it than construction plywood. I use what they call handi-panels that are 2'x4'. I can get two blanks out of one of these sheets. I orient them by how the veneer looks and if I can see any voids showing. There are 9 layers per 1/2" sheet. That means there are a total of 36 layers.

For the finish I use 6 coats of sandable filler primer. Then about 10 coats of Krylon.

Thanks.

That's a great looking stock. How much time goes into a project like that from start to finish? I do NOT have the skills to build something like that. Good luck with building them, it would be a cool hobby/sidejob. Joe

I can get most of the stock done in about 4 hours. It takes time preparing for bedding and doing that. Also the sanding and painting takes a little time.

Yeah the bolt handle there will get reworked. It will get reshaped like the one on the Mark II. Might do that tonight and post some new pics of the bolt handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How many hrs. do you get, in making the stock..........???? </div></div>

Start to finish with bedding and pain not including cure time about 6 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Got Diesel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How many hrs. do you get, in making the stock..........???? </div></div>

Start to finish with bedding and pain not including cure time about 6 hours. </div></div>
WOW........... it` takes me at least 40 hrs....from glu-up..to inlet ( using a bridgeport mil )and paint or clear....
I need help.....
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> WOW........... it` takes me at least 40 hrs....from glu-up..to inlet ( using a bridgeport mil )and paint or clear....
I need help.....
bill larson</div></div>

The way that I build these most of the cuts are straight cuts and easy to set up. Most of the shaping is done with a router. The only part that takes time is creating the palm swell. I am still doing that with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and sanding disks.

The first stock I did I probably had close to 40 hours in it. I was still figuring it out as I went. The inletting was done with forstner bits and chisels. Now I am actually drawing a template up using google sketchup and tracing that onto scrap. I then use my router with a template guide to create the inlet. It goes much much faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i like the stock.. but that bolt handle!!.. WTF!.. kill it!

photo3-2_zps15d1da0d.jpg
</div></div>

LOL, thought I was only guy to make a recoil pad from a cheapo flip flop sandal for a stock I've made or redone. First time at range with my flip-flop recoil pad, guys laughed at it, but had to admit it looked pretty good and did work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i like the stock.. but that bolt handle!!.. WTF!.. kill it!

photo3-2_zps15d1da0d.jpg
</div></div>

LOL, thought I was only guy to make a recoil pad from a cheapo flip flop sandal for a stock I've made or redone. First time at range with my flip-flop recoil pad, guys laughed at it, but had to admit it looked pretty good and did work.</div></div>

I make mine outa computer mouse pads.......glued and layered til i get LOP i want....
it`s called being poor in some ways...... and rich in others...
bill larson

Nice DIY stock. Birch plywood is really tough for the weight. I experimented with this very same material a few years ago and used Rutland Stratabond too. I use fiberglass/carbon for most everything now but definitely like the wood for certain applications.