• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another hunting scope thread, but with a twist…

robozebra

Doc
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City OK
Here’s the situation, I started on a little hunting rifle project with Jon Beanland last fall. We were planning on building a 300 PRC and 375 Ruger switch barrel rifle using a Terminus Zeus QC and XLR chassis. I have an extra ZCO 4-20 in my safe room that was going on it. I’m going to Africa this fall for a “Dangerous 7” hunt, but an elephant fell into my lap a couple weeks ago. I was planning on taking my 375 WSM with a 2.5-10x Schmidt for the lion, leopard, rhino and hippo. I don’t really want to shoot an elephant with a 375, so I’m added a 416 Ruger barrel to the mix of the QC build. A few folks took care of me, including Terminus with the action in a hurry and Bartlein with turning down a huge barrel blank, to get this thing off high center, and I should have the rifle in plenty of time to shoot it before I leave in August. Now, to the point of my question, I think I need to use a lower power scope on the 416, but still would like the capability to shoot the 300 to some distance. I thought the March 1.5-15 would be the “perfect” scope for this build, but it appears they pooped the bed with the production scope. Haven’t seen one in person, but it doesn’t sound like a hit. Now, I’m not really sure a 4x scope is right for a dangerous game rifle. Are there any good MPVO options that I’m missing? Wish the ZCO offering would make it’s way across the pond, but I don’t see it happening (definitely not in the next 2 months). I have several Premier Hunter/LT scopes, and the reticle isn’t useable at 3x in my opinion. Worried that TT will be more of the same. Otherwise, I see a huge hole in the market. Hopefully, I’m just missing something….. The other option would be to get a well built 1-8x LPVO with a decent reticle and set up two scopes for this rifle. Use the ZCO for the longer range barrel(s) and a LPVO for the shorter range.

Thoughts are appreciated….

The 3-15 tangent hunter reticle is imo very usable on 3 power. I got excited when I looked though one.

1-8 atacr would be a nice option for the big barrel though

Reactions: robozebra
Trijicon 1-8 seems to be popular from what I've read by PH's in Africa for dangerous game. Personally, I'd stick with SFP for those beasts. Along with the ZCO, you'd have it all covered. I can't speak from experience in your situation, but hopefully more will chime in with options.

Having a Zues QC myself, I am looking for the "do everything" scope.... which I don't believe will ever exist.

Been looking at the Vortex Razor 1-10. I like the reticle.

After spending some time looking at the TT Hunter, I might try to find one. Even if it doesn’t work for me on this rifle, I have several other rifles that could find a new scope.

I’m starting to lean towards two scopes for this QC setup. A 1-10 or 1-8 and the ZCO.

The Swaro 1.7-10x42 z6i would probably work beautifully for your intended purpose.

Reactions: robozebra
Leupold mk5 HD 2-10 sounds perfect. I wouldn't suggest the razor 1-10 at distance from personal experience.

Reactions: JS8588
The March 1.5-15x42 should have you covered. It is available in both SFP and FFP.

Swarovski reticle is specifically made for that kind of stuff.
Simple and elegant.
I prefer the older "Professional Hunter" models that they no longer make, but the Z6 as JS mentioned will do you at least as well as any scope made, and is better than most.

Reactions: JS8588
Razor 1-10 or NF 1-8 Would be my choice. It seems a lot of folks even use open sight for DG. I think a lpvo would serve you well. I’m going to SA with a NF 2-10 this year but will be after plains game and shots could be much farther.

I'll be watching this as I think this represents a hole in the market. There were rumblings of zco making something, but definitely wasn't looking promising lately.

I've tried several and still looking for the 1.

Vortex 1-10 or ATACR 1-8

If you need more power , torque wrench and ZCO 420