• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Another NEW GUY! Critique the suit plz

Re: Another NEW GUY! Critique the suit plz

Piss all over it and drag it behind a truck on dirt roads for a few miles.

No, I am not kidding. It will break it in real nice.

I think you did a real nice job bro!!

Not too bad. If you happened to be in the Pacific NW, your choice of the darker hairlike material might go a long way toward explaining all the Bigfoot sightings. The real question is, how does it look against a more natural background (woods) from a little farther away?

I like it, very nice job there. Just need some veg, mud bath and roll around in the wood and you done.

Way to much artificial crap on your whole suit, Your hat will stick out like a sore thumb.
As an instructor with many many hours behind glass, the 2 things that most often give a sniper student away is first movement. Then his bright, unnatural looking, I think this is what a ghillie is supposed to look like hat.
Take off the netting and start over. I recommend one string each of all 3 colors of jute, girth hitch them together on your net. no closer then I per every 3 or 4 square inches. All you want to do is subtly break up you out line and blend with the natural veg you attach to your suit.
As for you ghillie base have a few, dark, light and inbetween. Just sew 550 cord onto your Ghillie base and you can transfer your net back and forth with the seasons, climates and enviornments. Used this way you net becomes multi purpose. you can put it on your ruck, cammo a position, drape it over you and your rifle the possibilities are endless. Use spray paint to dust your ghillie to the desired tint of the region area you are in. Most of all Natural Veg, Natural Veg, Natural Veg. This is the key to hiding.
I do the same with my hat. I make a ghillie net. I've transfered it from boonies, to ball caps, to my helmet with nods down. It does a nice job of breaking up the outline of your helmet.
This wasn't supposed to be demeaning or harsh. I wish you the best in school. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck.

One thing I noticed on the veil:

Whatever it is that you have tied on there (appears to be "stiffer" than burlap, kind of like shreaded twine or something) is all cut to the same length and kind of sticking out at sharp angles.

I know that a lot of this will be covered up with natural veg, I'm just saying it doesn't look natural to me.I'm not entirely sure what the answer would be though.

I'm no ghillie master. It's worth what you paid for it...

Edit: It might be a little dark as well. I'm thinking that when i gets wet, it will be real dark. Remember, it's always easy to go darker, not so easy to get lighter.

yea, now that you mention it. the boonie does looked a bit odd doesnt it..

The guys link you sent, his wasn't much better. I don't have all the answers but watching student crawl through the woods gives you a perspective on what no to do.
First don't think as if you are going to a school, think as if you are going to a school to go to combat as a sniper.
Your ghillie top should be big enough to accomadate your kit. I've worn a ghillie top overseas and you wouldn't catch me without my kit. Or at least a reduced version of it. But you need at a minimum ammo, water, compass, map, gps, radio knife, I'm a big fan of hand grenades. If you are pulling your weapon in a drag bag then a firearm of some other sort in your hands. Don't forget your NVGs and at least a tourniquet.
The more jute you have on your top the bigger a fire hazard you are. Thick ghillies will go up in seconds. They also retain heat. There is virtually no venting. And in the woods jute or burlap looks just like that, jute or burlap. Don't worry about padding your top on the front. It makes it harder to get to your kit and realisticly if you use screening and standoff you shouldn't be crawling that far. It also retains moisture and heat. A heavily burlaped ghilly after a rain shower becomes a lead vest. Once again jute and burlap are just to break up your outline not conceal you.
Pants, you don't need to pad the front. And there is no need to put jute on your pants. It is heavy gets snagged on every piece of brush you pass and leaves sign when the jute is ripped off as a result. For planning consider an ounce below the waist equals a pound on the back. This works for assaulting kit also. If you want to sew 550 to the back of your pants to tie on natural veg in you FFP then by all means do so. But I just wear normal pants.
Boots, don't put jute on your boots. Just spray paint them so they aren't so bright.
And the hat. Large chunks of bright jute are the worst thing you can have on your hat. When the sun hits it it will shine like a spotlight in a deers eyes. You won't be able to put enough veg on to conceal that glow. Less is more in this case. A little natural veg in your hat and you are good to go.
These are some of the lessons I've learned the hard way.
Use them as you will.

And like Ed said, on that veil, don't put a bunch of long branches on it because they will sway around and give you away. While you're "turkey-peaking" over some weeds, you've got another foot of veg waving in the breeze saying, "Here I am!"

I thought your suit was pretty nice but I am not an expert.

LostMarine,
I am definitely not an expert and have a lot to learn still. And you are 100% correct. It never stops. And you are right we have figure out what works and doesn't work. Sometimes those lessons are learned on our own and sometimes they are taught or handed down to us.
I take all of this seriously just as you do. This is our life. To strive for excellence, learn from who we can, and pass on all we know. You never know who you might end up standing next to, slinging lead.
The comments on your suit, which you obviously spent a lot of time on, were not meant as derogatory. Just passing on some of the things that seem small but add up in the long run. Ghillie pants are horrible to walk any distance in, they snag and if padded they tend to chafe. If carried they seem to take up a lot of room in your ruck. The large clumps on the hat will stick out. And they are light in color. That really shines when the sun hits it. Ghillie material on the boots gets caught in thorns and can leave sign for the enemy.
We are stalking in kit now. No more just ghillie and rifle.
I'm sure you will do well in school. Good luck to you.

All valid points Sir. Just more tools for the toolbox right
wink.gif

New thread on kits for the operators coming up.

ANy more comments on the suit from experts/proffessionals?
Agree/disagree, anything else to think about when doing it up?

Overall man, I think you've got a real good start there. It's a hell of a lot better than my first attempt. There's a shit-load of real world knowledge here, held be a bunch of real good guys. Keep an open mind and a good attitude and these guys will be more than happy to help you out.

Good luck man.

You keep talking about getting ready for "school" and I get the impression that you are already a member of a combat unit. So I guess my question is.....why are your mates not getting you squared away?

It's not a jab at you. I ask because in my platoon we spent a LOT of time prepping guys before they went to school. We instructed them on Ghillies, ran Kim's Games, tested their knowledge to the point that when a Marine went to Sniper School it was more to qualify them than is was to teach. I don't recall us ever having a Marine from our platoon fail Sniper School.

JJ's comments on the Ghillie are spot on. Also I feel that the color is just way too dark on the back and the garnish is too dense. Dense is heavy and will cause you to rely on it, instead of natural veg. I would rather stalk in utilities than in a heavy wookie suit. A proper Ghillie just breaks up your outline and serves to hold natural garnish. As a secondary effect it helps to protect you from the crap you will be dragging your body across.

I was going to ask the same question lonewolf, where are his HOGS? but then i read that he's now in the army and no one in his unit has been to school in a decade yet they still have a plt... Dont help this guy too much fella's. if he's going to school, let him figure it out. I prep'd and studied like crazy and when i started stalking, guess what. i changed just about everything. not one answer is going to be right but i can tell you now that your jute is way to long and is going to snag on every thorn and twig...the words FREEEEZE will haunt your dreams if you show up with that. but your story still doesnt seem to add up and you wouldnt be the first to lie about what you do online. good luck to you either way Lost Marine, I hope you find your way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LostMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the reason i ask is, what do you think of this guys kit?
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2136804#Post2136804

i believe thats more in line with the amount your referencing, but isnt that not enough? there is hardly anything there. and when wet, it looks like just a couple strands. I wish he posted vegged up pics so maybe i can get a better idea f what it should be </div></div>

Holy crap, that's my suit!

Yeah, I dont have much burlap on my suit, about 2 sq. yards on it. Less is more is what I've been told by many guys around here. I also like the natural because it is easier to make darker than lighter. I'd get pics of it vegged up, but its been snowing out where I am, and I don't think I'll be able to until May or so... I think I have a pic of one of my older suits...

DSCI0374.jpg

DSCI0381.jpg

I had a little too much jute on this one.

Natural veg and tan jute seems to be the way to go for me.

Take in mind, I am just a kid. I don't know everything, and this is what I've learned from other suit builders on here and from just building suits.

Welcome LostMarine from one new guy to another,

To be honest I'm sure the only reason PIGtooth questioned your legitimacy had to do with you neglecting to state that your in the National Guard. The Active Army works very differently than the Gaurd and Reserve. I know in the Reserve a lot of things get brushed aside for various reasons and then all of a sudden its a priority again. So I can see how the section could be neglected for a decade and now they want to crap out stone cold killers over night. My recommendation would be to get your B4 identifier and see if your BDE or State Command can provide some assistance, and if your near Arkansas Camp Robinson/Camp Pike is home to the Gaurd marksmanship unit and they would most likely be able to assist you.

I don't know crap about Ghillie suits I'm a 91B2O so sorry no help there.

I think your base looks pretty damn good! Looks pretty well thought out. Might want to get the netting on the legs tacked down a little more around the edges, but overall, great work!

Think the guys are right about the excessive jute. Thin it out and shorten it up some. It doesn't take much to do the job.

Good luck and hope the suit serves you well through your course!

you guys get way too into what a ghille is "supposed" to look like. you really need next to no jute to get the job done if you do your job. you should veg prep, a couple times in a stock to change to where your at just cuz you covered yourself with veg when you started doesn't mean thats the kind of veg you'll end up in. yes like he said every 3-4" at most and even then its just so your suit doesn't shine through your veg.

now this is a little thin but i was getting lazy, passed every stalk though
laugh.gif

0362.jpg

lol, just saying less is sometimes more. you don't need to be chewbacca out on the stalk field or in the woods.

oh and buy a TON of heavy duty rubber bands and keep them in your kit, they will become your best friend