• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another new rifle from George and the crew..!!

Tom S

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2004
Coudersport,PA
First off I want to say thank you to the crew there at GAP, they were great to work with and very patient with me given this was my first build and I had a bunch of question for sure.

I mostly read here, not much of a poster but I do enjoy the heck out of reading the posts here but I figured I would step out of the norm and show this thing off a little.

It started life as a 700 VLS in 6mm Rem, shot very well with a 105Amax, would not shoot a 107 for squat. But I got the bug and have always wanted to have a rifle built so the quest began.

Who was easy..caliber was the big one. I wanted something on the lighter side and I had a bunch of 6mm brass so after a conversation with George....6mm Rem is what it was going to be.

Everything looks great...very nice workmanship and you can tell they take a lot of pride in their work. I thought I was all set using my current base and rings but after setting the scope on the rings I soon found out that the new barrel taper wont allow for the accu-lock low rings..gonna need a set of mediums.

Basically I asked for a Crusader built on my action with my Jewell trigger. The only thing diff is George recommended a 27" barrel with a 1/7.8” twist.

Here are a few pics of the finished product.....I was hoping to put some rounds down range this weekend but I dont think I can get a set of rings that quick so that will have to wait.

6mm1.jpg

6mm2.jpg

6mm3.jpg

6mm4.jpg

6mm5.jpg

Re: Another new rifle from George and the crew..!!

Thanks folks...I am pretty excited for sure. Sitting here trying to track down some rings. Anybody have a set of Med or Med/Hi rings they want to part with...??

Well folks I couldnt wait for the new Seekins rings so I dug out a Luppy base and some 30mm rings I had in the gun box and mounted the scope so I could at least get the barrel break-in done.

This is the first 10 rnds down the tube. The first shot took about 7-8 patches before no more blue. The second shot was clean with one patch and the string of 3 cleaned with one as well. Used Sweets on the copper and Hoppes on the powder. I then did a string of 5 and tried to put a good group together with them. Wasnt the best shooting, about 35 out with a shifting breeze, forgot my wind flags and I was shooting from inside a shooting house so you had no idea what the wind was doing. And what was worse was the mirage off the barrel because of being inside, after 2 or 3 shots the bull went fuzzy and doubled in size. I tried blowing down the side of the barrel, it worked but man its hard to hold a sight picture while doing that..!!!

First10rnds.jpg

This was 14 rounds as fast as I could load...no attention to the wind..and the mirage was bad on this one. By the way, when I got home and cleaned after these 14 shots it only took one patch with solvent.

14rndsfast.jpg

Quick addition to this.....George I must say thank you. You guys put together a very nice shooting rifle, please also pass along a personal thank you to Matt Hoch...its got his mark on the barrel.

Congrats welcome to the new era of laser beams

Great rifle! You and George did a great job in building a 6mm tack driver. I'm glad to see that the .243/6mm cartridges are making such a strong showing recently. Laser beams, and very accurate laser beams at that! Great investment and sleep well knowing that rifle will serve you very well indeed!

I guess I should add what I was shooting for ammo. They were some 105Amax's I had loaded up for the rifle before it went through its transformation.

Now I will be putting together a load for the 107SMK. Anyone got a recommendation for a starting powder, I was thinking either 4350 or 4831? The optimistic side of me is hoping for 3000+fps at the muzzle.