• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Newbie with questions...

HellsCanyonArmory

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Idaho
www.facebook.com
Hey all,
been on here for a few days reading all I can and getting a handle on some long distance shooting info. Got a few questions (please excuse the ignorance, slowly working on it!).

I have a Rem 700 in 30-06. Its totally factory and about 10 years old. Topped with a Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10x40 and has been my main hunting rifle for the last 7 years. Taken a lot of game with it and with factory Federal Premium ammo I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with it.

I want to build a more long-range capable rifle off this action. What calibers are open for me? I'm leaning towards the .280 (ackley?) or a 6.5mm version??? What all calibers are based off my long action? I need a caliber that I can still kill deer and probably elk with. Longest shot on big game is probably not past 650 yards but I would like to hit steel at 1K yards eventually.

What are your recomendations or preferences for a caliber?
I also notice the .308 is very popular, but haven't found hardly any 30-06 information on here. Why is that?

Going to start reloading this summer and that's approximately when the 'build' will take place, so I'm doing all the research I can to be better prepared to make smart purchases when the time comes. Been reading through a lot of the FAQ's and am learning quite a bit. Thanks

Mike

Re: Another Newbie with questions...

I'm new to this one as well, and I'm starting with .308 as well based on what I've read a lot.

I wouldn't mind going with the .308, but is there any advantage to the .308 vs the 30-06? I know they're 'basically' the same caliber, but aside from the military and LE influence of the .308 I don't see any advantage to the caliber.

The .280 or a 6.5mm round seem very appealing to me as well, still got a lot of time to figure it out before I make any purchases...

Michael

The 308 is more popular because it fits a short action better without loosing much velocity on th 06.

On your long action you have many options avalable. If you don't handload I strongly recomend you start. Shooting long rang is 1000 times better with a custom load your rifle prefers. Especially when hunting!

I don't hunt but know enough about the topic to point you in the right direction. Take a look at the 6.5x284 or a straight 284 win. This is where I would start If I was concidering taking an ELK at 650. Lapua brass is the best for reloading, period! They make 6.5x284 and that case can be necked up to 7mm with a expander mandrel.

For the rifle work I recomend Bob Green Rifles. He Is the best I have ever worked with,and I have worked with several. He will adress every question you have. He specializes in target/benchrest applications so all his work is TOP NOTCH. His prices will not brake the bank either.

Hope this helps.

PS. If your going to purchase new dies for a new cartridge I suggest Getting a competition full length bushing die for sizing, "redding s type". And a wilson seating die with an arbor press. This is how I do it and it works well enough to out perform nearly every one on the firing line when I compete.

First, there's nothing wrong with 30-06. It's a great caliber but only has marginal advantage over .308 and is not a Nato round so not as much research or information has published on it. It will go further with more punch. That said, I think if you want to kill Elk at those distances you need at least a .30 cal. projectile. I'd look into 300 Win. Mag. Maybe even .338 Lapua Mag.

Either will do fine but 7mm will have a slight edge in barrel life,energy and wind drift,with more recoil though.

It might not be a bad idea to get a medium weight barrel if you plan on doing longer shot strings for practice.They don't walk shots like feather weight barrels do as they get hot.

Another consideration is getting a 20MOA angled base and a scope with target turrets.it's hard to beat Nightforce for the $

Thanks for the advice guys, good to finally get an answer for the .308 vs. 30-06.. I have taken two elk with this rifle, one at 346 yards this year, and I took a mature cow elk at 548 yards in 2007 (complete pass through; hit 1 rib behind one shoulder, hit the heart, and completely broke the offside shoulderblade as it passed through the other side. 165 grn Federal Sierra GameKing's). Though I highly doubt I'll be taking another shot on an elk at beyond 500 yards again. I love the spot n stalk more than pulling the trigger which is why I archery hunt as well. But I still want a gun that will punch it out there if the opportunity arises.

The friend I hunt with is a member on here. He works for Seekins Precision out of Lewiston ID, and is helping me get into the game. Will be going with a 20 MOA base and a good longrange scope. I won't be buying top-dollar equipment but I will save what I need to buy reliable the first time around.

I will be reloading for sure. I don't rifle hunt a whole lot for elk, and if I feel the bullet won't make a clean kill at a long range, then I can get closer. I'm leaning more heavily towards a lighter bullet like the .280 AI for the less recoil, and good ballistics. Also planning on trigger work, as well as a Rock Creek Barrel... Opinions? Thanks I'm having a lot of fun learning this stuff.

Mike

One of these days I'm going to give the .280 AI a try myself, looks to be a great caliber.

the 280ai is a great caliber, always has been, now that brass is avaiable and you dont have to fireform its even better.

my shooting buddy .257 here has a 280ai

it is a great gun, super accurate.

he runs berger 180's at 2860fps into tiny groups.

has no problem hitting steel at 1000+ yds

i would have no isses shooting game at 700 and farther with it either

it is really a great cartidge and would be a great choice, excellent ballistics, modest recoil and decent barrel life

I would and did go with a .308. Easy to find amo. Cheap to shoot. Does still pack a punch and you can shoot it all day. Load some 168 gr Match Kings and you will have a shooter. But when it comes down to it go with something that you like and makes you proud to own.

Great to hear about the success of your buddy with it shootone! Sounds about what I'm wanting for a setup... Who's making the brass for the .280 AI?

I can't wait to get this build rollin. I assume I'm going to have to get a new bolt? Or can I modify my current one? Recommendations? thanks

Mike

The parent case for the .280 and the Ackley Improved version thereof is the .30-06, so no - you will not need a new bolt or to modify your current one.

Nosler makes the brass

At first it seems pricy but all other 280 brass requires fireforming which costs barrel life and money

Nosler is good to go out the box

My old 7wsm was 60fps faster but it took me an extra 3 or 6 can't remember but took more powder and my loads were warm ones

His are mild and shoot tiny groups

Your action is good to go

His barrel is 26in btw

Its a good one superb ballistics eats a 308s lunch

Only reason I see owning a 308 is for matches that only allow a 308

I talked with my friend from Seekins today and he also strongley recommended the .280 AI.

What kind of stocks would you suggest? I don't want a full-on tactical stock, I still will be using the rifle for hunting and a lot of prone shooting. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Michael

The MCM A1-3 would probably be the best that fits that requirement.

Mike, stop by next time you are in town and you can play with a few different rifles so you can figure out what stock you like. For my hunting rifle (and favorite BTW) i have a A1-3 McMillan on it. 7wsm..

Im not going to let AL or you build a .308
smile.gif
Go 280ai and you will be happy. When your ready come down and AL can show you how to build it.

Get in on the manners msct or adj mcs-t group buy

Great stock

Run a modest barrel contour sendero or palma and your good to go for long range shooting hunting or matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, stop by next time you are in town and you can play with a few different rifles so you can figure out what stock you like. For my hunting rifle (and favorite BTW) i have a A1-3 McMillan on it. 7wsm..

Im not going to let AL or you build a .308
smile.gif
Go 280ai and you will be happy. When your ready come down and AL can show you how to build it. </div></div>

Thanks Glen! Glad to see ya popped on here! And you sure about that .308? I know Al was pretty impressed with my 30-06 performance on my bull this year!
laugh.gif

He did manage to let me fondle your 7wsm last saturday before we left for shed hunting and I gotta say that's one sweet setup! Was thinking about gettin a poker night together or something and I'm sure we could get some better plans in the works!

BTW you know anybody that makes good rings/mounts??? I hear Badger or Burris are both good! haha
wink.gif
grin.gif

Mike