• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Another noob question

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I am wanting to start reloading next year and need some help.

What is a good solid starter kit for about $500, I've been looking at Hornady's starter kit from Midway.

I will be reloading for the .308 Win. mainly for hunting, my rifle has a 1-12" twist, any good hunting bullets I should look at?

My reloading will most likely be low volume so I do want a single stage press.

This is my brass count: 12 cases from an unknow manufacture, 20 cases from Hornady custom, and about 124 cases from Remington, will these be ok for starting up (at least for the first 146 or so)

I figure Varget powder is ok, any other powders I need to look at?

Also, which size primers would I need for the .308 Win?

To help pay for this I am selling my Rem. 700 7mm Mag. if anyones intrested!!

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Another noob question

I'd look at the RCBS Rock Chunker kit. You'll need a trimmer if it doesn't come with one. Get a flashhole deburring tool and a inside/outside case month chamfer. You may aslo look at Reloader-15 powder it's not as temp. stable as Varget but easier to find. Lager rifle primers WLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a good solid starter kit for about $500, I've been looking at Hornady's starter kit from Midway.</div></div>

I started with an RCBS rockchucker deluxe kit ~$300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be reloading for the .308 Win. mainly for hunting, my rifle has a 1-12" twist, any good hunting bullets I should look at?</div></div>

Nosler Ballistic tip 165 grain would be a good start

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figure Varget powder is ok, any other powders I need to look at?</div></div>

Varget works well in the 308 if you can find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, which size primers would I need for the .308 Win?</div></div>

Large rifle

Mike

Your brass is going to be fine.

I have the Hornady LNL kit. Although it was a good enough starter kit that's about all it is... Good enough. I don't particularly like the digital "pocket" scale and still use a 505 scale for my powders.

I have no regrets with the starter kit, but just know that it isn't all inclusive and eventually you are going to replace stuff as you get better. In addition to the kit you'll need a case trimmer, dies, shell holders, dial/ digital caliper, ammo boxes, and misc other pieces to get you going. I also picked up a stand for the powder thrower from Sinclair and it works out much better for me.

Read the thread on reloading and start a list of everything you're going to need. i like the drill press method of prepping brass, saves me a bunch of time but again, it's more tools and money you'll need to shell out.

Stick with something in the 165-168gr range for the 1 to 12 twist and you should be all set. I have had very good luck with the 165gr SST from Hornady but a lot of people seem to like the A-Max. They're both good bullets in my opinion so choose whichever makes you happy.

Varget is good stuff if you can find it for a reasonable price. I've had good luck with accurate powder as well.

I've been using FED 210 primers but there are a bunch of large rifle primers that will work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at the RCBS Rock Chunker kit. </div></div>

Before you buy any hardware spend a few dollars and buy a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. It has more usable data than any 2 or 3 others. Read the chapters not involved with cartridge specific data. You can look that up anytime. Read the safety / storage chapters at least twice.

Don't get a starter kit. Assemble your own kit using the best tools available.

The problem with that is that I don't know all that I need and don't have the money or the skill to buy the "BEST".

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

There is no need to buy a BMW kit before you learn the basics.

The basic RCBS RockChucker kit will do you fine. That's what I started with in 1972. And it still does good work.

Get a Lee Auto Prime with appropriate shell holder.

Get a couple of good case holding blocks. While I have several of the plastic "multi" models that are suppossed to hold everything, I prefer the wooden ones Midway carries. They're a bit more secure.

Leave the flash hole and primer pocket tools off until you get the basics down. If you are shooting Mil-surplus brass get a RCBS primer pocket swage die kit. If you have a table sander or bench grinder or know someone that does you can grind a small flat blade screwdriver to clean the primer pockets of burned carbon.

The cases don't have to be polished. But they do need to be clean and dry. I have in the past put brass in an old pillow case and run it through a couple of wash cycles with my work clothes. CAUTION... Most spousal persons / girl friends may take offense if you choose to do that when her nice things are in the wash. You need to leave these in the sun to dry for a couple of days... or blow them out with canned air. That cuts the drying time a lot.

If you don't want to go to all the hassle of wet cleaning the brass, 4/0 steel wool will clean the outsides pretty good. Pay special attention to the case necks, shoulder areas.

I don't remember if a plastic "screwdriver" handle comes with it or not. But one of those with a 30 cal bore brush makes pretty easy work of cleaning carbon buildup out of the inside of case necks.

Lastly, you can pick up a cheap set of 0-6" dial calipers for $30 or less. Get a set and learn how to use them. They will be important in years, months and days to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at the RCBS Rock Chunker kit. </div></div>

Before you buy any hardware spend a few dollars and buy a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. It has more usable data than any 2 or 3 others. Read the chapters not involved with cartridge specific data. You can look that up anytime. Read the safety / storage chapters at least twice. </div></div>

1+ on Lyman Manual and RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. Got started on that and have been very happy with it.

I suggest you get a used single stage press off Ebay or Gunbroker or from someone on this site, a Hornady priming tool and primer pocket cleaning tool, a Lee collet neck die and trimmer, a Redding body die and BR-30 powder measure, a RCBS competition seater, Wilson chamfering tool, and whatever portable electronic scale. That should fit within your budget. Use your magazine box as an OAL gauge.

Varget, WLR primers, and 168gr Hornady bullets are vey accurate together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with that is that I don't know all that I need and don't have the money or the skill to buy the "BEST". </div></div>
The following link covers much of the same territory as this post. My write-up is aimed at covering all of the bases economically without compromise in the finished product. You're free to consider better options. Hopefully it will be helpful to you.

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1466718#Post1466718

Reading is highly recommended to assist your effort. There's no substitute for an informed decision.