• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another question on difference between .223 and 5.56 brass AFTER prep

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
After firing both types of brass in MY rifle and then during prep, full length resizing and trimming the cases to the same length (1.75) is there any dimensional or capacity difference between the two cases other than what is found because of case wall thickness, etc. ? I'm guessing not.....

Why not weigh a few cases and find out, not scientific, but may open your eyes, or fill with water and weigh, give you case capacity.

Some have less case capacity than others, some are softer than others. You have to test but its generally not a good idea to load with mixed headstamp rifle brass without testing first.

Thanks for the responses. Should have been clearer as I do understand fully the differences in case manufacture differences between manufacturers. What I meant to say was that with the shoulders bumped back to the same location via the full length sizing die and trimming the cases to 1.75" the outside dimensional differences between the two different "calibers" is erased-correct?

There is no external difference between the two as far as brass is concerned.

As others have said its the internal capacities due to brass thickness that can lead to issues. (Or throat differences depending on the bullet to be used)