• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Another Rangefinder Question...

Scott300RUM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Casper, WY
I know this has been beat to death. But I can't find a thread that gives me the answers I want. I've been researching rangefinders for the last few months in the under 1k range and have decided on the Leica 1600. But now that I actually have the money to buy it, I'm wanting to know if there is something better that I should consider. Possibly one that costs 1300 or so. I will be using this for target shooting up to and a little past 1k yards, as well as for both rifle and bow hunting, so it needs to be easily portable and practical to carry around.

I just don't want to run into problems ranging an elk at a 1000 yards (not that I will necessarily be taking the shot, but at least I'll know how much closer I need to get). And if there's an option for 500 more that will ensure me that confidence, then I might get that instead. The only options I'm interested in are angle readouts as I will calculate my own corrections using a weather station along with the lrf. I would rather have too much rangefinder than not enough, so let me know what you guys think.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Scott

Re: Another Rangefinder Question...

The thing to look into is a setup to help you hold your rangefinder steady while using it at distance....I think your LRF is a fine choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott300RUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've been researching rangefinders for the last few months in the under 1k range <span style="font-weight: bold">and have decided on the Leica 1600. </span>
</div></div>

If you have already decided, then why are you asking these questions?

The Leica has one thing going for it - SIZE.

I don't know what your research consisted of, but if you want the no-BS answer from me, buy the Swaro. Also, I'd take a Leica 1200 over the 1600. Leica has gone backwards in quality and reliability with the 1600 compared to the 1200, regardless of the digits printed on the side. But, the 3 year old Swaro kicks both of their asses in field use. I've ranged porous sandstone bluffs to 1920 yards with the Swaro not using a tripod. No, I've not tried them side-side on fur, but the Swaro is friggin' awesome, regardless of their lack of marketing and the presence of marketing for the 1600.

Skip the Bushnells. Skip the Nikons. Been there/done that. Get the Swaro.

Bushnell 1600 Fusion binoculars.

I ranged a palm tree while at the Cup in TX, 1697 yards and I ranged it several times, not just a one time hit. Another guy there was ready to sell his Geovids right then, they wouldn't get a range once.

+1 on the Bushell Fusion. I used a pair at Gunsite last summer and it was remarkably effective with good glass for the price.

Not to hijack thread, but I have done some research lately as well. I hope you find following info useful. Got similar needs, except size is not number one issue to me but ranging distance. Both Zeiss and Leica seem to be lower performance level at the moment.

Obviously you are looking small unit- but seems that Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide / Bushnell Fusion 1600 binos are very close to same level what comes to measuring range. Both weight about same, roughly 2lbs. Swaro does have perfect lenses, but then again binoculars are always binoculars.

Edit:
Heres some comparsion. Hope it helps.
Seems that Zeiss monoculars use somewhat strange beam shape if idea is to measure certain spot downrange.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXprhRbN0Y
Pity that Bushnell Fusion is not in vid.

After looking these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drn2NCvcJMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFpLeHMdE0&NR=1
I forgot Leicas. Only unclear question to me is if Bushnell can measure smaller, typical paper targets, +1000yds as well as Swaro does.

My Swaro's have performed well for me well past 1,000 yards, have great glass, and, when I had a problem, they simply replaced them rather than have me wait for them to be repaired. I use them in lieu of higher-powered but lower quality binoculars regularly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott300RUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've been researching rangefinders for the last few months in the under 1k range <span style="font-weight: bold">and have decided on the Leica 1600. </span>
</div></div>

If you have already decided, then why are you asking these questions?

The Leica has one thing going for it - SIZE.

I don't know what your research consisted of, but if you want the no-BS answer from me, buy the Swaro. Also, I'd take a Leica 1200 over the 1600. Leica has gone backwards in quality and reliability with the 1600 compared to the 1200, regardless of the digits printed on the side. But, the 3 year old Swaro kicks both of their asses in field use. I've ranged porous sandstone bluffs to 1920 yards with the Swaro not using a tripod. No, I've not tried them side-side on fur, but the Swaro is friggin' awesome, regardless of their lack of marketing and the presence of marketing for the 1600.

Skip the Bushnells. Skip the Nikons. Been there/done that. Get the Swaro. </div></div>

The research I've done has been in the sub 1k market. So that's why I decided on the Leica. I checked out the Swaro in person and thought the reticle in it seemed big and it was hard to see the display. It is possible that the batteries were low or maybe you can turn up the brightness. Can the Swaro owners enlighten me on some of the options inside of it in that regard. Do you Swaro owners have problems holding them on Elk, or similar sized targets, at 1k with the bigger reticle?

I have heard about QC problems with the Leica, but I've also heard they've worked alot of the bugs out.

So I take it there isn't a rangefinder in the $1300 or even $1500 range that I should consider? I don't want rangefinding bino's, so that's out of the question, but I figured there'd still be something out there, but maybe not.

Thanks for your help guys,
Scott

I use and like Leica Geovids....all depends on your needs. I wanted very good glass for use as a bino primarily and ranging capable for my needs. I only need up to 1000 max reliably and they do that very well. No experience with the stand alone Leica RF.....but the Geovids are marked 1300yds for reference.

I have both the Swaro, and the Leica 1600. I have gone through three pair of Swaro LRF. They just stop ranging anything past 600 yards, unless it is the side of a big building. One stopped working all together. They take about 3 months to get new ones sent back. I have a friend that has a pair of the Swaro that work great out to 1900 yards all the time. Said you have to get the old ones that does not have the push and scan mode on it.

The first Leica 1600 that I got would not range past 500 yards. Sent them back. One week later had new ones in my hand. It works way better then my Swaro ever did. Ranged some elk in the back yard at 1478 the other day. I would go with the Leica 1600 again any day. I use them over my Swaro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 1600 Fusion binoculars.

I ranged a palm tree while at the Cup in TX, 1697 yards and I ranged it several times, not just a one time hit. Another guy there was ready to sell his Geovids right then, they wouldn't get a range once. </div></div>

Hell yeh! I love my pair

Skyking,

Thanks for your input, it's nice to hear from someone that has actual field experience with the two. I can read about specs and what people 'think' is better all day long, but it really comes down to how they perform in the real world.

Thanks again,
Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use and like Leica Geovids....all depends on your needs. I wanted very good glass for use as a bino primarily and ranging capable for my needs. I only need up to 1000 max reliably and they do that very well. No experience with the stand alone Leica RF.....but the Geovids are marked 1300yds for reference. </div></div>
What size are the ones you use? A friend of mine uses the 15x56's and absolutely loves them! But they are way to big to carry around in a bino chest pack. If the set you have is one of the smaller ones, is it uncomfortable to carry around in a chest pack, size and weight wise. And what yardage are they actually rated too, I can't find that anywhere? How have they performed for you in inclement weather as well as in good weather?

Thanks,
Scott

They are 10x42's. I have had no issues ranging unless the target is very small and it is heavy fog. I use mine exclusively in a chest pack and they are the size of any 10x42's.....they do weigh a little more but in a chest pack I have no problems and I got rid of my regular RF. Range is 1300yds and weight is 32 oz.

I love my Leica CRF 1200, which cost half the price of the 1600.

I say go the swaro if your wanting ranges past 1200 on a regular basis. Anything below that i'd be hard pressed to change from my Zeiss PRF. I don't see many people using them, but it's been spot on every time. It's 300$ less than the swaro. I Agree with 9H, i had nikon and bushnell Rangefinders, sent them back. Buy once cry once. These are all hand held variations though not binoculars so i can't comment on the fusions.

I had a Zeiss PRF before my Geovids and like Blackops 2, I found it very reliable and accurate at the ranges I need....again 1000yds or so and closer. No need to spend the money on the Swaros if you want a good unit for those ranges. Agreed, unless you spend a wad of cash the Swaros can't be beat for 12-1300+

I have no experience with the Swaros. I had 1 CRF 1200 that would not range archery targets at short distances. I had to put something on the target to get a reading. Brothers $200 Nikon would read it everytime. Sent it in and got a new one back. Second one wouldn't range for shit in coyote hunting situations. Warm right out of the pickup or office, it would work fine. After a mile walk in and laying prone, it wouldn't range coyotes at < 300 yards. Came across a good deal on a Zeiss PRF and bought it. Before I sent the second Leica in, I did a quick side by side. 10 targets from 600-800yds; snow covered roofs, garages, sheds, houses. The Leica didn't range a one of them, the Zeiss ranged all of them. I did that little test out my driver side window on my way to the Post Office, just to be sure. That solidified my decision. Got a second brand new 1200 back from Leica and sold it immediately. I really wanted the Leica to "work out", as I loved the compact size of it, but it didn't

I will never own another Leica rangefinding device again. But I will say, their customer service isn't half bad.

My advice, buy a Zeiss or Swaro.

Like ggmanning, I have the 10X42 Geovids and absolutely love them. I have little need for ranging over 1000 yards and they are perfect for my use. I bought these on Zak's advice and have never regretted it.

Leica.jpg

Interesting to hear all of these issues with the 1600 CRF. I have heard there were production issues, but I have one that works great. I ranged a 3 ft in diameter railroad sign fro about 800 yards. I can get readings on signs and cars out to about 1,500 yds. The farthest I ranged was a water tower at 1,999 yds (but that is kind of a useless measure).

I have found that it is rough in foggy weather. With 1.0 mile visibility, I could only range out to 500 yards. Also, it might take a few tries to range things at longer distance.

The thing about the CRF 1600 is that the beam divergence is very small (smallest of all of the RF's mentioned in this thread), which means it will give you very few false readings.

Maybe I got lucky with my unit. I know it took some practice to learn to hold it steady and get a good reading, but I can't see having any issues at all ranging less than 600 yards, even with a crappy hold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 1600 Fusion binoculars.

I ranged a palm tree while at the Cup in TX, 1697 yards and I ranged it several times, not just a one time hit. Another guy there was ready to sell his Geovids right then, they wouldn't get a range once. </div></div>

I'll agree with that 100%
I was ranging the side of a grassy hill at 1681 METERS with my 1600 Fusion and decided that I would try to range a telephone pole. Was ranging the top (to avoid a false reading from the grass behind) beyond 1500 meters, was reading black cows (I've heard that's difficult???) at 1300+ but couldn't hold steady enough to range farther.

Got to compare the Leica bino style ones at Cabelas. (dont remember the model #)
The Leica has better binocular glass, but the Bushnell out ranged them consistently and faster for all three people that tested.

Want a RF to use with my MK4 spotter, and at this point it'll be the Swaro. Different from the 10X binocs, I want more range with the spotter. Swaro seems to be the only choice.

RV6.jpg

edwin907 said:
Want a RF to use with my MK4 spotter, and at this point it'll be the Swaro. Different from the 10X binocs, I want more range with the spotter. Swaro seems to be the only choice.

edwin907 who makes the tripod you are using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second that where did you get that tripod? </div></div>

It's a Ray-Vin scope stand. With the outrigger attachment it gives you a lot of versatility for dual optics.
I've also got the Ray-Vin smaller stand. It's very compact but not suitable for dual optics.

spt.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GAP10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edwin907 Thanks for the stand info. </div></div>

You're welcome.
The smaller is plenty useful, but for rock solid stability with the MK 4 dialed up to 30+ power, bigger is better. I do prefer this (prone) to either of my Gitzo tripods, which are way bigger and much more complicated for little gain in performance.

I went to the sports store a few days ago and played with the swaro and leica again and that leica felt great once again, so I went ahead and ordered one. Thanks for all your help guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple more pics of the larger stand.

ModSpot1.jpg

RV5.jpg

RV2.jpg
</div></div>

Edwin has all the sweet gear! Nice stand, now I need one lol!

To the op.
I had 2 swaros , they both had great glass and both ranged 2k+
But i kept having problems and having to send them in [swaro customer service is top notch btw ].Since, i have tried the leica 1200 , 1600, geovid both HD and standard, zeiss ,
and bushnell arc 1600 binos.
imho for hunting the bushnell 1600 binos are the best . The laser performs better in rain/fog /snow than even the swaro.
Geivids are great binos but the laser is not on par with the bushnell.
I find the small leicas are hard for me to use in low light.