Another SAC success story

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
Many years ago, I bought a Win 70 .300 wsm. I had it rebarreled by E.R. Shaw and I tried my hand at bedding the stock for it. My results were less than stellar, so I contacted a couple of the Smiths here on the hide to bed it into a new stock. Mark Gordon from SAC accepted the job without hesitation. When I received the completed work, I found that the stock work, bottom metal and bedding job were perfect and it shot my 168 SMK load extremely well. Then it sat in my safe.

Recently, I feel that I have reached a level of shooting maturity that has led me to reduce the population of my gun safe. There is no need to have a safe full of guns that I can't shoot well, so I am concentrating on being very proficient with what I have. With the help of a member here (Thanks Mallard!!), I began the quest for a LR load with the Hornady 225 gr Match round. The ladder test produced intriguing results and the 2nd stage of load development produced a promising group (Load Data Thread Link). Now, I will move out to 1000 yards with the load to really put the gear to the test.

Thanks again to you Mark for your fantastic work!!

IMG_0574.jpg

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Re: Another SAC success story

I like your rifle! It's a little different than most you see here. What are the specs? Does you're stock have a finish on it yet?

300WSM is a accurate cartridge. I watched a 1000Y benchrest world record 10 shot group of 3.9" appear right before my very eye's one time while pulling targets for the guy who shot it.

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans

Thanks for the input. The stock is a Boyd's Thumbhole (Link) that runs about $100. It shipped 100% finsihed (the previous one I effed up bedding was like 75% or so finished) from the retailer. I really liked the feel of the stock when I handled a similarly stocked Howa at the Cabelas in Buda, Texas.

The barrel is a E.R. Shaw No. 4 Contour, Helical Flute finished at 25”. The bottom metal is Williams one-piece. Mark did the bolt knob conversion to a Badger knob. I added a Jewell trigger and Tubb Speed Lock firing pin setup. The base is EGW and rings are Leupold PRW. The scope is a Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40.

IMG_0575.jpg

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans

The only thing that I feel that I am lacking is to see about adding a rail, so that I can use the Atlas V8 on this rig. I'm comfortable with the Atlas on my other two bolt guns and using the Harris on this one just adds a different dynamic.