• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another scope help thread - 50/52mm for ~$2k budget?

ghott

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
I ordered a Tikka T3x in .270win earlier this week (thanks to input from members here and a couple other forums!) and have been looking for an optic to put on it. Rifle will mainly be used as a hunting rig, usually under 200yds in late-evening field hunts, but occasionally out to 4-500yds...so this one won't be dialed all that often.

Looking at only scopes with:
- ~$2k otd
- 50mm or 52mm objective
- Min. power in the 2-5x range
- Max power in the 16+ range
- Illuminated or fiber reticle would be a big plus
- Second focal plane

Front runners:
- Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52mm (Illuminated) - $1700
- Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 (Illuminated) - $1800-$2000
- Swarovski Z5i 5-25x52mm (Illuminated?) - $1700-$1800
- Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 (Non-illum?) - $2100
- Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 (Non-illum?) - $1800-$1900
- Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50 (Illuminated) - $2000
- Trijicon AccuPoint 3-18x50 (Fiber) - $1800
- Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 (Illuminated) - $2100

Here's what I need help with and what I'm looking for in the scope... in order of importance:
1.) Low light performance/visibility
2.) Durability - needs to be able to take a bump or two
3.) Generous eye-box/eye relief
4.) Decent tracking

I have a NightForce, Vortex, Meopta, and Nikon scopes on other rifles - so kinda looking to try something a little different.

You guys have any thoughts on low-light performance and durability on any of my front runners? Any other suggestions for scopes that I should be looking at within my budget that fit the bill?

There was someone selling a really nice 2nd FP scope on here. Don't remember which one it was though.

If I were buying for hunting only with those requirements , I'd look hard at the Leupold VX6. I looked through one not long ago and was really surprised. It was low light when I did and it struck me how good it was.

Reactions: ghott
To follow-up - I think I've just about 99.9% made up my mind on which scope I'm going to try for this hunting rig - and that is the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 (Illuminated).

The illuminated reticle, locking turrets, and generous eye box and eye relief are what really pushed me over the edge toward the VX-6HD. I also like the fact that it has the integrated electronic reticle leveling system, reports of really good low-light performance, pretty good durability, and that it comes with the aluminum flip covers.

Here's what ruled the others out (just for my particular application):
- Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52 - larger tube size and older model compared to the VX-6HD
- Swarovski Z5 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle choice (unless waiting for a used scope)
- Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle choice (unless waiting for a used scope)
- Zeiss Conquest V4 3-18x50 (illuminated) - tighter eye box/eye relief, not as good of glass as the z6
- Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 - no illuminated reticle, big turrets with no locking (honestly, if the z6 came with an illuminated reticle, I probably would have bought it instead of the vx6-hd)
- Trijicon AccuPoint 3-18x50 (Fiber) - not enough feedback given/found
- Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F2 - Runner-up for my application - but, no locking turrets, tighter eye box/eye relief, price $$

All that said, I'm still a little hesitant due to some reports of Leupold's dialing...hoping I get a good scope that will dial decently and return to 0.

Appreciate all the help and feedback!