• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another Scope question...for 1000 yards shots

marine0351

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
FL
I went to the range last night with my R700 .308 SPS AICS rifle, sporting my cost effective Millet TRS-1.

Apologies if the question is simple or dumb, just getting used to using a scope for long distance shooting.

I was zero'd in at 200 yards which I verified, I them did a 1mil hold up and could not hit the 350 metal. I put 6 rounds down range and nothing. I then said ok let me go up 10 clicks (1 click = .1mil) and I had this time a spotter, I was dead on. I then did a .8mil hold up for 400yards and hit the metal once in 4 shots. I got upset and just clocked up 8 clicks for .8mil. Again I consistently hit the metal. Ballistics = TAP A-MAX 168grn Police Ammo.

So what am I doing wrong, also above 300 yards the Millett optics were blurred a bit, not crisp at 10X. Also I see a lot of what appears to be heat vapor. beyond 300 yards.

Anyone familiar with the scope marking for a TRS-1, cross, then a line, then a mil dot...are the lines considered a mil as well...(I am guessing no).

Question, I want to shoot beyond 500 to 1200, I have the money to upgrade the scope to a Schmidt and Bender or US Optics, would I see a clarity difference at 350+ yards...?

Opinions...yes I know how to hold the rifle, breath, I have good smooth trigger pull and I follow through...

Thank you for YOUR KIND replies : )

Re: Another Scope question...for 1000 yards shots

how did you do the 1 mil holdover? your scope is not ffp so if you were on the wrong power setting 1 mil in the reticle is not actually 1 mil.

and yes if you upgrade to sb, uso, (alot of other companies) you will se a signifigant diffrence in clarity at 350

I use the 10X setting 99% of the time, I basically just aimed up to the first mil dot since I was consistently hitting with (10 clicks up, 1mil)...yes I know its not a first focal point scope but I thought I was doing the right thing...

What he said^^^

The hash marks on the reticle are .5 mils.

To use your reticle you usually have to have it on its highest power setting. Then you can use your hold over.

Personally I would just upgrade to the S&B or the US Optics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kahai808</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What power range is your TRS?
</div></div>

I believe the OP has the 4x16x50 model.

To answer the OP's question, you will notice a difference in clarity, Millett Vs. USO is night and day and USO is better suited for long range shooting since its FFP vs the Millett's SFP. If you feel insecure about the Millett, then you should probably upgrade.

Although I am only shooting FFP scopes now I don't see how a scope is going to be better suited for long-range just because it is not SFP. Maybe because an FFP is fail-safe if using hold-overs. But it's more about selecting a quality scope with at least decent glass and a mag range that you're comfortable with. Most importantly, it needs to have reliable turrets and IMO they should match the reticle, e.g. mil/mil.

In my experience, 3-12 and 3-15 scopes have provided the most versatility between 0-1000 while maintaining a good sight picture. The scope I'm running is the Premier Light Tactical 3-15 and it is tailor-made for .308 shooting out to 1000, even 1200 yards (depending on air density). I had an SS 5-20, which is a great alternative, esp. for the money (as little as $1299 new non-illum). However, I found the mag range higher than I'd like. Wait and see what SWFA introduces in that line. They may have something out @ SHOT. But a 3-12 or even 4-16 version of the SS with the same optic quality and turrets would be hard to beat.

Don't most guys use a log book to track what turn of the knob actually hits the target?

Ballistics can be a tad misleading. In Bryan Litz's book, he details how BC changes with bullet velocity. But most ballistics program assumes constant BC throughout the ballistics range. Thus you need to figue out what your real world adjustments need to be to hit at each distance.

I've also notice that when I see mirage (aka heat waves), my groups tend to open up versus when a cloud floats over and its shadow eliminates mirage.

Sure a better scope will let you see better. But it is no magic bullet since it is only one component in the system. I find I have to learn my rifle and load's pecularities for each distance, then my shooting becomes consistent.

Practice, practice but take notes too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marine0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I want to shoot beyond 500 to 1200, I have the money to upgrade the scope to a Schmidt and Bender or US Optics, would I see a clarity difference at 350+ yards...? </div></div>

You currently have a Millet and are asking if you will see any difference in a Schmidt & Bender or a USO?!?!?! Sorry this is funny! If you had the cash then why did you go the "cost effective" route? My opinion is to do some more research and learn how to use a scope properly and upgrade that POS!

Mebbe he no have da money back then. I think the "cost-effective" was a tongue-in-cheek realization that now it's time to move on up.