• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another Scope Selection Thread -- Ar-10

HosHan

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
What is the platform for the scope? LMT MWS 20"

What cartridge are you shooting?
.308. If I find I want to do more dedicated LR stuff I'll probably pick up a 6.5 barrel.

What is your intended use for the scope? Steel/Target will be primary usage off of tripod or prone. Also interested in some coyote hunting though I'm not sure if this would be the best fit for it. More or less a general use scope, I'm looking for a durable, quality optic with reasonable glass that will last me many years of shooting.

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
Daylight/lowlight (weekend/unabashed fair-weather shooter)

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? My home range runs swinging plates and paper target stands from 100-400 yards. I'd like to learn to shoot out to 1k at some point but I don't currently have time nor easy access to anything bigger.

What is the price range you can afford?
Around $2000.

Let me start off by saying this is my first post after several years of lurking and learning. This website has really helped me learn the skills I need to be a better marksman, though time constraints unfortunately keep me a mediocre shooter at best due to lack of trigger time. I've encountered a little buying paralysis and I'm hoping I can get some advice from those who have significantly more time behind quality glass.

I spent the better part of 30 minutes writing out an essay about which scope I should choose, which really did me a lot of good in parsing down what I wanted out of a scope, but would have been an absolute bore for ya'll to read. Here's the short version of what I've considered:

I was very interested in buying a Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18 based on my positive experience with their 1-6 Gen IIE. The weight of the optic scared me though, given my rifle is already fairly porky and I don't want to relegate it to the bench. On top of this I've seen quite a few threads and posts about Vortex QC issues. I started looking into the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18 and was extremely interested. Many people say they dislike the lack of reticle options, noticeable CA at higher magnifications, and the upcharge for illumination, however I don't see either being a significant issue for the shooting I do. The weight is also nice coming in at almost half of the Vortex and I like the capped windage and locking zero elevation turrets since I tend to sling rifles and bump turrets. I then started looking into the ATACR 4-16x42 F1, which appears to do almost everything the Mark 5HD does, though at a slightly higher price point, a little more weight, and at the expense of a slightly smaller magnification range.
I feel like any of these three scopes would work for me, though the weight of the vortex is definitely off-putting. I like what Leupold is bringing to the table for the price but I can't help feel like the ATACR is a better and more proven investment.

I'm well aware that any manufacturer can have CS issues, and I'm aware that any individual scope can have QC issues. So long as the companies are willing and able to fix these issues when they appear the I'm not too worried. That said I would prefer a scope that is less likely to present issues in the first place.

Can anyone offer any advice here? Do I seem to be on the right track in my thinking or am I overlooking some obvious points? Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve got a Leupold mk5 on my LMT. Never really noticed CA but I don’t use max mag all that often. I love it and I personally can’t tell the difference in glass quality between the Leupold and an ATACR which is why I went with the mk5. Either one will be excellent. Pick the reticle you like best and go with that.