• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Another scope shootout question...SWFA 3-9 HD vs. Classic 3-15

SLG

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
So, for pure glass quality, how does the SWFA 3-9 HD compare to the classic version 3-15? Is the glass better across the board on the HD models, compared to the classic models??

Is the glass in the 10X classic comparable to the 3-15 as well?

Remember that glass quality is somewhat subjective, and will differ from "eye to eye."

That having been said, yes, the 3-9x42HD, and the other HD models, have better glass quality to me. Better clarity, better color, more "pop," less CA. They're not S&B quality, but for what you pay, they're quite amazing.

If they'd update the HD line with a zero stop and a new holdover reticle, they'd be the best thing in their price range. For now, the Bushnell LRHS line holds that spot, in my opinion.

Reactions: skatz11
I had a SS 3-9 HD for a few years. The glass was a incredible for the price and the scope tracked spot on. I wanted 10 mil/rev turrets and a zero spot so I sold it and got a LRHS 3-12.

Thanks very much guys, I figured that was the case.

I have had the 3-15 and currently have 3 3-9X42. The 3-15 is more than adquate for my uses it was just larger and heavier than I wanted for my application. The 3-9 is plenty for the rifles they are going on. If you need more than 9X then the 3-15 is just fine. If you are wanting a lighter more compact scope than the 3-9 is that for sure and yeah its got better glass if that matters to you, but I am not looking at the mooses' eye lashes before I shoot so I don't get all that wrapped up in CA and "pop".

3-15 glass is pretty mediocre. I haven't seen the 3-9 HD, but I'd venture to guess that the glass is much better if it's in the same league as the 5-20 HD.

Reactions: ohnomrbillk
For the price the 3-9 hd has good glass and tracks well. Haven’t played with a 3-15 but have other in the classic line and it is noticeably better than those. One quirk is the lack of parallax but good scope within price range. They also do an hd 10x but price gets harder to justify.

For what it’s worth, I have the SWFA 3-15 and it lets me see 22LR holes at 200 yards better than my Gen 1 PST 4-16 does .308 holes at the same 200 yards. Not by much, but it is noticeable.

The 3-15 has glass going to the dismal side, it's my main complaint with the ones I've had that I bought 5-6 years ago. We could not make out 22 lr hits at 400M on a black painted turkey but could with a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50, both set to 15x.

Haven't looked through the 3-9HD.

The Athlon Midas TAC has better glass than it should, well better everything than it should for the price.

LRHS glass was the best thing about it but it's retail price was a lot more back when it came out. I felt sorry for the guys that paid $1500 for it though.

Uh, I got the opportunity to shoot a new friends 6.5-284 with a very old USO on it. Wow, that was some sorry glass!