• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another spotting scope topic.

dcshoo11

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Ok so I have heard a lot of complaints about leupolds riflescopes. However, there really isnt much on here about their spotting scopes. I have narrowed it down to a Swarovski 65mm, or a leupold mark 4 spotting scope. Here are my reasons for both (while very limited because I dont have much time behind either).
Luepold:
has a reticle which will be great for calling corrections.
Swarovski:
Awesome image quality
I can spot trace without a problem in any condition.
However, no reticle.

I know you guys might be asking how would I even narrow it down to these two. Obviously Swarovski is a top of the line spotting scope, but I just havnt heard much about the Leupold Mark 4 to make a decision.
I will be using the scope for long range schooting, as well as overseas on deployments. Im not asking for you guys to tell me which ones to buy obviously, but need pro's and con's of both scopes to have an informed deicision.

Re: Another spotting scope topic.

My optimal scope would be a Swarovski with a reticle. If anyone knows where to get one with a reticle then I would jump on that in a heartbeat. So far though, havnt been able to find anything.

What are the complaints you have heard about Leupold scopes? I have had good experience with the Mk4's. The only complaint I can think of is their mil-dot reticles will slowly melt off if left in the sun for too long. Not sure if newer models come with laser etched reticles.

Swarovski definitely is the better glass of the two spotting scopes but the Leupold is still a high quality glass. I prefer the Leupold due to being a smaller scope, it comes with an integrated soft case, the added reticle is great for shooter/spotter communication, and it has battle proven record for durability.

You might want to look through some of the Bushnell excursion FLP's. Maybe do a side by side comparison and see if the extra coin is worth it for you. The Leupold is a nice spotting scope and I've only used ones that were beat up in the Army.

You may want to take a serious look at Kowa spotting scopes, probably the best value for the money. I agree, the Swarovski scopes are good (and probably the best), but my ST-80HD isn't twice as good (even though it cost's twice as much) as as my Kowa 66mm with ED glass. I have a little 50mm Kowa spotter (no longer manufactured) that puts some big name 80mm spotters to shame with its better clairity, and have no problem seeing bullet trace with it.

Only down side to either the Swarovski or the Kowa, and that's the lack of reticle option.

for those of you that have used the leupold mark 4 spotting scopes, how easy was it to see trace? also, out to what distances was it becomming difficult to see trace

I have the Mk4 12-40X with reticle. Works great and no problem seeing trace.

Spotting vapor trail is easy with a Mk4. With good conditions spotting rounds past 1600 yards+ shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that heavy mirage or the right combination of humidity/air pressure can limit how easily vapor trail can be seen. Or if your target is silhouetted by the sky. (with any brand spotting scope)
If you want to get real good at spotting VT, practice with a M49 spotting scope. The Leupold will feel like you're cheating.

I would consider just using a good rifle scope. I used to carry a spotting scope with me. Now it sits in my closet. I have a S&B 5-25x56 on my rifle, which I can easily spot out to a mile on metal target. One less thing to carry.

Awesome. I think you guys helped me make my decision and save some coin. Gotta love the SH.

So what's your decision, if you don't mind being asked.

Leupold Mark 4 with a Horus reticle. It boiled down to being able to have a reticle in the scope, and being able to spot trace with no problem. Since members of the Hide who own a Mark 4 chimed in here, it swayed me towards the Mark 4.
I have used both before, but wasnt able to compare them side by side. When I looked through the Swarovski it was after weeks of using the M49 spotting scope. Obviously it would be like going from a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari, and I was able to spot trace all the way to the target. The Mark 4 I used, but honestly dont remember much about.
If people here are saying the Mark 4 is a good quality spotting scope, I am willing to give it a shot. Worse comes to worst I can always send it back and get the Swaro.

I have a Loopy w/ Gen2 from Premiere. Loopys are clear and capable but dark compared to some of what is out there.

Good luck

Cant say that I have had the chance to look through a USO spotter. I heard those arent much of a spotting scope as an observation scope. However, give me some input on the USO spotter.

Since you chose the Mark 4 with Horus, did you choose the H-32 or the H-36? Whichever you chose, what made you go in that direction?

Well the reticle choice is a whole different ballgame. I like the H36 for the reason that it has the ranging reticle in the corner. However, it feels like it would take up too much of the scope, therefore making it difficult to actually spot. It looks really busy. What I am going to do is order the H36, and if the aforementioned issues arent really a problem, then I will stick with it. Otherwise I will switch it out for an H32. Thinking more about it, I dont think the H36 will be too much of an issue because the reticle is only that big at max power. However, I will keep you informed when I do get the spotting scope. It's still a little bit away because I have to get the funds first. I will keep you posted though.

Also, just in case anyone is interested. If you become a member of promotive.come, especially if you are in the military, you can get the mark 4's with a horus reticle for around 1400, as opposed to the 2000 that Horus wants. They also have discounts on zeiss. Just throwing that out there for everyone.

Thanks dcshoo. I like the Horus reticle but thought the same about the H-32 v H-36. I'll certainly look forward to your feedback on the H-36.