• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Another SPS Package..love/hate relationship, Pics!

Re: Another SPS Package..love/hate relationship, Pics!

2630 will get you to 1k no prob. Just be privy of the wind. I shoot at a 36" steel target with 44 varget and 175s, and I get groups around 15" or so if it is windy, which is perfectly fine with me. I have yet to shoot a day out to 1k with no wind. Also, you should try some 155 palmas or scenars. By far my most accurate load for shorter range work, and they will also stretch to 1k if you get them past about 2850 or so.

Mark really bangs those SPS rifles out. They go from mediocre factory rifles to true precision rifles. SHot one of his reworked factory rifles over the weekend and it stacked the rounds on top of each other at 250 yds no problem.

My S.A.C. build should be on the way to me now. I can't wait to shoot it!

Wow, the before and after groups are impressive. Definitely a noticeable improvement. ReaperDriver, you definitely transformed that SPS. I love the optics upgrade. I can only dream for an S&B.

Question for US Handgunner: Considering the cost of the SPS Tactical and your upgrade, you're pretty much into the cost territory of a 5R stainless. In your opinion is the upgraded SPS a better rifle than a stock 5R? Reason I ask is because I'm looking to drop something into an AICS and I'm trying to choose between an SPS Tac or a 5R. I wasn't planning on doing any action work. Only a bolt knob, muzzle brake and worked stock trigger or aftermarket. Are the results shown in this thread common on the SPS Tacs you've worked on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for US Handgunner: Considering the cost of the SPS Tactical and your upgrade, you're pretty much into the cost territory of a 5R stainless. In your opinion is the upgraded SPS a better rifle than a stock 5R? Reason I ask is because I'm looking to drop something into an AICS and I'm trying to choose between an SPS Tac or a 5R. I wasn't planning on doing any action work. Only a bolt knob, muzzle brake and worked stock trigger or aftermarket. Are the results shown in this thread common on the SPS Tacs you've worked on? </div></div>

Mark, I'm curious about this, too. SFT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try to make it up to TVP. My own personal 308 is under construction and is not even shootable. Its hard to get my own stuff running the way I would like to when I have so many other peoples to work on. </div></div>

A carpenter lives in a shack , a mechanic drives a POS and it appears a gunsmith shoots a Marlin Model 60 ............
laugh.gif

I have a problem child SPS with a throat only Linda Loveless could have , I think Mark might be the cure ........

Any preference to barrel makers ?? I know some wont work on others barrels , but since your a Smith any tube will do ??

Mark,

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to share some pics from today's chrono session. I had previously found some good loads that shot well in the rifle once I figured out my headspace problem (Read here) . But I never had had a chance to run them over the chrono. SO I reshot some loads that looked promising across the chrono (CED M2) and got these results. These were the 1st five groups of the day and the 1st on the left (44.6 Varget load) was a cold CLEAN bore since I had just run some Butch's Boreshine through right before I went to the range.

IMG_1714.jpg

Close up of the .275" 5-shot group
IMG_1712.jpg

Surprisingly, the groups opened up a bit with the 45.5 load but came back together again at 46.0
IMG_1713.jpg

I still can't believe how well a factory barrel shoots after you did your magic. Thanks again, Mark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what all does the rifle have done? </div></div>

......Perform Tactical bolt knob conversion....(huge accuracy increasing service)....

Mark </div></div>

Why does changing the bolt knob have an effect on accuracy? Would this statement only apply when attempting to fire multiple shots as quickly as possible?

The bolt knob does nothing for accuracy. Mark was using sarcasm. There's a lot of that around here. Be on the look out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt knob does nothing for accuracy. Mark was using sarcasm. There's a lot of that around here. Be on the look out. </div></div>

lol, OK thanks for the heads up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bayou</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt knob does nothing for accuracy. Mark was using sarcasm. There's a lot of that around here. Be on the look out. </div></div>

lol, OK thanks for the heads up. </div></div>

Don't worry this won't be the first time you fall for someone's humor... Happens to all of us.