• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Another Surefire question

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
I didn't find the info I was looking for with a search. If this has been beat to death, please forgive me.

What is the effect of the Surefire muzzle break when used with the suppressor? I couldn't find anything on Surefire's site and hoped that somebody had actually performance info.

Thanks

Re: Another Surefire question

DaveV, I think your asking something like this "Once I put the suppressor on the QD muzzle break, is that the end of the effectiveness of the break in recoil reduction?"

The answer is yes, the effectiveness of the break has stopped completely. They requires an open atmoshpere. Having said that, a suppressed rifle is a most effective "break."

If your question is "what role does a QD break have in the actual process of suppression?" The answer has to do with gas pathing efficiencies and heat disbursement. Still no "breaking", but a damn interesting and little understood, let alone discussed issue. If that is your question, I for one salute you!

I like many wonder why those that can own a suppressor, don't.
And why that those that do, would ever shoot without them.

FA aside.

Thanks RT. Both questions were rolling around in my head, but the second is the one I was focused on. I am curious about the combined effect. I was hoping somebody had wrapped their head around this empirically and not just anecdotally.

Thanks.

Not much to it actually.

In reality the break value of the Surefire unit pales in comparison to a purpose built break. The reason is that a real break will throw the concussion back at approximately 20 degrees +/- to bore axis. Enough to blow past your shoulders. Think of it this way. To counter-force recoil, one has focus the gas energies in the opposite direction, that being backwards. There are important issues at work here. Whereas one wants to "lift" the rifle slightly (forward in line with axis), one does not want to make things worse for the operator to return to target. Its a balance, maximum recoil reduction vs. barrel lift, sound pressure to operator, potentially blow off a poorly designed comp, sound pressure those around operator (if at all important) and in the case of the QD units, ability to successfully engage and retain a suppressor.

As any good suppressor designer will tell you, unless your still stuck in the world of reflective suppressors, that is exactly the wrong way for a suppressor's gas to go. As a result, the vast majority of QD units do not have what is called "reflective cuts". but rather they are simple port outs..

Reflective, angled, machined precision ports...

2010-01-29170728-1.jpg

Cut outs...

surmb556k.jpg

Now that may please the heck out of the QD manufacturers as their units can now be cast to avoid the expense of machining the reflective cuts. Does a great break need to be machined? Nope, but it wont fit in a suppressor!

Low impulse, cast (some are even assemble and welded.

muzzlebrake.jpg

Once in the can, all this gets shut out, shut off if you will and the gases go forward. Ah...nope. In reality QD has a issues with gas blow-back and particulate ejection. A good suppressor design wants none of this. No disruptive port patterns at all, even if they are closed off. It increases gas disruption, can create an increase in dwell time at exactly the point where proper, efficient separation must occur to dissipate heat and gas pathing begins.

Can it be done properly? Of course but its expensive.

IMO....If one was to light the fuse and throw it in a window...it would read like this...

1. Threading on a suppressor remains less than 20 seconds, is the strongest, most precise and cleanest way to mount.
2. QD is the number one problem concerning alignment and potential baffle strike.
3. QD provides the poorest of gas seals under extreme conditions, degrading suppressor performance generating particulate throw back on optics and operator.
4. QD is not as accurate on precision rifles as direct threaded assembly.
5. QD units quickly “carbon up” creating considerable assembly/disassembly issues that threading does not.
6. QD is actually QA (Quick Attach) as a suppressor may go on faster, but when that suppressor gets hot, it gets red hot, and is hardly QD.
7. QD, with its requirement for the flash/compensator is heavier on the barrel.
8. QD can use more than 2” of wasted internal suppressor space, causing additional weight.
9. QD requires the operator to buy more proprietary gadgets for the end of every weapon that will have a suppressor mounted.
10. QD are generally not the best configuration for recoil reduction, whereas they do work, they are not optimal.
11. The most effective and efficient gas pathing wants nothing to do with QD in its current design.

Operationally, few Military and Police Clients have found a reason to need QD, referring to the whole process as being driven by the civilian market seeking to multi mount one can on mismatched threads.

In the end, keep it simple as less to go wrong is always the best way forward. That should just thrill a whole bunch of folks....

In coming!

08.jpg

Great post Rolling Thunder! Very informative.

Sorry to deviate but...I'm not the guy that's "been there, done all that" but my service weapon had a can on it more times than not. Out of all the years of shooting- range or real world- I've never said "I need my supressor on/off right @#$%ing NOW!" I don't really see the point. It's on, it's there, it's stays there, just like your parents said- leave it alone and don't play with it, you'll go blind! The QD mount is another way for all the wonderful companies out there to make you pay for another $85+ for an un-needed part. And the worst part, people <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> will <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> pay for it.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaingunzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of all the years of shooting- range or real world- I've never said "I need my supressor on/off right @#$%ing NOW!" I don't really see the point. It's on, it's there, it's stays there, just like your parents said- leave it alone and don't play with it, you'll go blind! The QD mount is another way for all the wonderful companies out there to make you pay for another $85+ for an un-needed part.</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Actually you missed the point. </span>

As with most things weapon system related, the mission and end user drives the gear. The end users want QD. Or more plainly, they want tool-less attachment and detachment. And they DO NOT want threads. Threads can be cross threaded, or hard to perform under stress, in the cold, in the dark, covered in sand or mud. Threads=unscrews at the worst possible time. This doesn't mean they want to attach and detach and attach then detach it in the field or hour by hour. But the end user needs to be able to do this. And he needs to be able to do it without the use of tools. The less likely it is to dick up, the better.

Further complicating the issue, when you remove a threaded suppressor from the barrel what are you left with? A exposed threads. The threads are completely unprotected, and that rifle is now "FLASH ENHANCED", or turned into a camera flash bulb. Have we all forgotten why the interest exists in mounting flash hiders on .mil weapons? It's to mitigate the flash seen at night. The same flash that destroys night adapted vision, but more importantly encourages accurate return fire from the enemy.

The end users don't want a thread protector to keep up with. They don't want to have to keep checking the tightness of the barrel to suppressor lockup. This isn't about making purchasers buy more flash hiders. If you think about it, it would be better to make you buy more suppressors, one for each rifle.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Here's the big secret. <span style="font-style: italic"> This is one of those things that separates those who know from the other cool kids.</span></span> The government knows guys lose shit. It just goes missing. They know their guys break shit. If they misplace or render one of these suppressors unserviceable, they want to be able to grab another and run it. Not only that, but ideally they would like to be able to run it without re-zeroing.

Surefire advertises less than MOA shift from suppressed to unsuppressed at 100yds. Everyone who DOESN'T GET IT, assumes this means the military wants to shoot suppressed now, then take it off and shoot unsuppressed. And then maybe now shoot suppressed again. Or maybe not, but maybe later. A certain company has been catering to the tweak it yourself POI shift by trying all the different numbered attachment channels. Anyone who touts that to me doesn't get it.

If a random suppressor and new suppressor interface produce less than MOA shift on any given rifle, than a different suppressor or different suppressor interface will also produce less than MOA shift on the same rifle. Or any other rifle. Now it has all become plug and play and a given rifle and a given suppressor can be issued independently from each other. That's the whole point. That's it. You need a new suppressor, swing down and sign for one.

<span style="font-style: italic">I bet a lot of you are having a lightbulb go off all of a sudden. Makes a whole lot more sense now, huh?</span>

BachJ,
I'm just basing my comments on what I've done over the last couple deployments. Once in the AOR we're going to be working in, we'd set/zero prior to sp and then my teams weapons would remain in that state for the length of patrol 2-3 weeks at a time. We get back to the fob and disassemble for cleaning. Once a supressor is on, there's no reason to take it off-it's just one more thing to get screwed up. The original KAC cans we got were a PIA to get back on if you got any kind of crap in the mount. We started getting AAC's for our short guns and they work well, but the Mod 0 SPR's were always using OPS INC screw on cans.

As for matching random supressor's to random weapons- again, this is based on where I grew up- you don't do that. Each weapon system came exactly as that, a complete Sopmod system. Each gun had it's on can. Mechanicly speaking, you can swap bolts from gun to gun- would it work? Yep same part right? Would you do it- in a pinch yes- but right in the TM there's a warning saying that bolts stay with the original weapon.

Post got way off topic, sorry OP.

A question I do have though is if it's not a ploy to make us purchase the FH/adapter seperate then why not sell the suppressor and the FH as a set and charge one price? I know, dealer's call but it should be an option or at least get a discount on the FH if your buying the can. Just my thought.

Would there be any benefit in designing a brake with progressively increasing or decreasing port sizes (while mantaining the 20 deg rearward angle that Rolling said) I imagine not but just wanted to see any opinions or facts.