• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

another switch barrel thread....

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
Here's my questionfor you switch barrel drivers. What action is yours built on? My ideal plan would be tohave 2identical rifles built; 1 long action,1 short action. Short action calibers;223,308,and 300 whisper. Long action. 7mm or 300win mag, 6.5X55. Ideally I wouldnt have to pull them out of the stock to change calibers, and would each use aics mags.
Is this too much to expect or ask for?

Re: another switch barrel thread....

Switch barrel rifles in theory are kick ass.....in reality they suck ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch barrel rifles in theory are kick ass.....in reality they suck ass. </div></div>

Come on....tell us how you really feel....

Yeah knew about bolts. I realize they can be a pita if you have to tear the gun completely down in order to switchcalibers. That's why I was looking at using a dbm set up and 2 diff rifles. I was thinking savage due to the bolt design. The barrel nut would have to go and would need an action wrench that slides through the inside.

think tube chassis like a mak or eliseo, i have a mak tube gun that has 223,308, and 6x47 barrels and a 7mm saum barrel on the way. when you use a glue in reciever you no longer need a barrel nut. all i have to do is take the butt stock off if i need to switch boltfaces and the forend tube and i can swap out barrls. i can go from 223 to 308 in less than 10 min easy. i use a davidson action wrench and a farrel vise. here is a pic of mine with the 6x47 barrel

IMGP7549.jpg

Yrah I've considered a rem700but pretty much ruled it out because of possible wear issues due to multiple bolts. That rules out tubeguns. Leaning towards a savage due to the floating bolthead. The nut can be doneaway with by using a shouldered barrel, pinning lug. Would use cdi bottom metal for feeding. Itwould be nice if the 223 aics mags would come to reality till then I'm still stuck with single feed for the 223.

Snyper the 223 AICS mags have been out for a while....people like Triad, Bauer Arms, Mile High all have those in stock.

one thing. on my savage i used an EGW and then a ferrel base. both hung over the barrel nut. if the base was just a bit shorter, it would be nice for easy changes and not having to remove the scope base. but that guy i posted goes at it from the other end

Don't forget about scope set up as well. Are you going to have a different scope for each caliber or are you going to make zero changes for each?

I have a Manners T5-A, Surgeon action and changing barrels is a snap. However, going from .308 shooting 175SMK to 6.5x47 shooting 123 grain ball means big changes to the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my questionfor you switch barrel drivers. What action is yours built on? My ideal plan would be tohave 2identical rifles built; 1 long action,1 short action. Short action calibers;223,308,and 300 whisper. Long action. 7mm or 300win mag, 6.5X55. Ideally I wouldnt have to pull them out of the stock to change calibers, and would each use aics mags.
Is this too much to expect or ask for? </div></div>

No,

It requires you to map each barrel for each action and to be able to return each barrel to the same "zero" each time you change the barrel. Other than that it is a walk in the park.

I've done it on both the Savage and the Winchester actions.

I like doing it on a Savage for the reason you brought up of the interchangeable bolt heads , however , I have gotten more repeatable results with the Winny due to the integral recoil lug[IMO] design.May go the same route on my Surgeon action for the same reason.
It is also built with flats machined at the end of the barrel so that it can be removed /replaced without having to remove the stock.
FWIW
YMMV

If you do not have your heart set on a Savage yet...and like the many options of a Remmy style action but want the ease of swapping barrels/calibers. Then this just might be the ticket for you:

http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

You can buy just the action, even though they say complete rifle.

Take care,Stan

I've got abarrel vise so I'm not too worried about over hang from base. Wouldjust be nice to drop mag, pull bolt, unscrew barrel then reverse and be done. Wonder if I could get away with gluing a barrel nut to the barrel shank touse as ashouler? Cut down on having multiple tubes turned?

I played with a sugen barrel swap last couple of years and was very happy with sort action results. Now I have one of these and is very simple to swap from short to long calipers, currently I am doing .243, 308, 300 WM (338 on the way)

http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/id12.html

yea thats me in pic @ ASC in spring not sure of overall finish but think it was in the top 5. The barrel swaps seem to be tracking for simlar zero changes but still collecting data for offsets that easy to put in Field firing solutions