• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Tripod Question - Spotting/RF only

MTB doc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2019
Thanks in advance for any advice. Looking for recommendations on a tripod and head for spotting and rangefinding for Sig 3000 BDX binos. This set up will not be used for shooting the rifle, so I am curious as to which options are best for for just the binos. Thanks!

Without having a little more info on budget and situations this would be used, I would say to go with the most solid set up for the best price. I have used the Shadowtech pig-0311 tripod for matches for about 6 months and for $138 you cant beat it. Then I would recommend a leofoto ball head or leveling base to match to it which run $80-165. Gives you a super solid set up for $315 or less
Pig-0311 tripod
Leofoto leveling base
Leofoto ball head

Without having a little more info on budget and situations this would be used, I would say to go with the most solid set up for the best price. I have used the Shadowtech pig-0311 tripod for matches for about 6 months and for $138 you cant beat it. Then I would recommend a leofoto ball head or leveling base to match to it which run $80-165. Gives you a super solid set up for $315 or less
Pig-0311 tripod
Leofoto leveling base
Leofoto ball head
I really appreciate the info, thanks!!

lots of folks recommend a fluid head or geared head for spotting only duty.
being one of the poors, i an just putting this $40 Orion "slow motion adapter" on my ball head so i can scan across distant objects for ranging. this option is not as fine as a real geared head, so it doesn't take much to move it (which is better for speed).

c8ccd67355e527ee115643bbcd37cfb6.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: seansmd
lots of folks recommend a fluid head or geared head for spotting only duty.
being one of the poors, i an just putting this $40 Orion "slow motion adapter" on my ball head so i can scan across distant objects for ranging. this option is not as fine as a real geared head, so it doesn't take much to move it (which is better for speed).

c8ccd67355e527ee115643bbcd37cfb6.jpg
Thanks, it will definitely be for spotting only.

Thanks, it will definitely be for spotting only.
if i have some time later, i will try to get some video through a spotter so you can see how fast or slow it moves.
the big knob allows you to free the plate for large elevation adjustments, and then you can tighten it and use the small knobs for finer adjustment.
one of the complaints about geared heads is they take forever to move a little bit, so this might be an option if it isn't too coarse for adjustments when looking out hundreds of yards.

if i have some time later, i will try to get some video through a spotter so you can see how fast or slow it moves.
the big knob allows you to free the plate for large elevation adjustments, and then you can tighten it and use the small knobs for finer adjustment.
one of the complaints about geared heads is they take forever to move a little bit, so this might be an option if it isn't too coarse for adjustments when looking out hundreds of yards.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help.

Reactions: theLBC
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help.
as promised...

this is a svbony scope at 20x, pointed at a tree @223 yards away.
i am turning the lateral adjustment knob 1/2 turn and back again.

Last edited:
as promised...

this is a svbony scope at 20x, pointed at a tree @223 yards away.
i am turning the lateral adjustment know 1/2 turn and back again.

That looks great, it would definitely suit my needs. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: theLBC
I use the Snapzoom Universal Bino mount ($25ish) Add a small arca plate to the bottom (sunwayfoto are not much$$) And mount it on the tripod. Works fantastic!

Attachments

• 49888B15-95A0-466A-A74B-3657F4FDDA94.png
    49888B15-95A0-466A-A74B-3657F4FDDA94.png
    813 KB · Views: 30