• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another which rings question

Enoch777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2018
Ordering a Tikka 6.5 ctr 24" rifle prob Friday. I am going with the Area 419 20 moa base and I'm conflicted on ring height even after an exhaustive use of the search function. I have a Vortex 6x24x50 hst 30mm tube and don't know wheather to go low or medium with the seekins rings.

If you are simply trying to fit your scope you can measure it once you get your base mounted. The bigger question I would be looking at is how do you shoulder the rifle with that stock. I run anything from .75 to 1.5 high to get the objective where I want it on a particular stock.

With the factory base you will need med high rings to fit a 50mm objective scope with scope caps. Medium rings will put the scope so close to the bore that caps won’t fit. If the rail is higher like most 20 Moya bases are then run the medium rings.

Rule of thumb for Tikkas is to run one ring size higher than you would use on a Remington base as the tikka bases are lower profile than a Remington base.

Remember, Seeking mediums are the same height as a lot of other ring manufacturers low rings. Man there needs to be a standard.

It's perfectly fine to not have a low-slung scope. There's no practical advantage in accuracy of a low scope height over a sort-of-high scope ring height. On one rifle, I've had an issue where the scope rings were too low because the comb on the stock was tall. When I got a proper cheek weld it put my eye slightly too high above the scope. I tried to get used to it, but it was too awkward. Moving up one height size solved that problem. On many of my rifles, a low slung scope is just fine. My point, make sure it clears the barrel enough to add caps and that you have no problem achieving a good fit.

R700
Proof Sendero Light profile
Seekins 20MOA base
Seekins 30mm "Low" .82" rings
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 w. Tenebraex caps

Same rifle as above
Seekins 30mm "Medium High" .92" rings
March F 3-24x52mm w. caps

R700
Bartlein #3b fluted
Seekins 20MOA base
Seekins 30mm "Medium" .87" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50 w. Tenebraex caps

Lone Peak TI w. integrated 20MOA bases
Proof Sendero contour
Seekins 30mm "Medium" .87" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50 w. Tenebraex caps

You cant run .82 rings on a tikka with a 50mm objective. Remmy yes. Tikka nope.

@Rthur. Are you sure about that. Seekins medium rings are the same as other manufacturers low rings. Seekins lows are .82”. The tikka bases i have seen are shorter than remmy and savage bases and require higher rings as a result. Im not necessarily doubting you just double checking.

@Rthur. Are you sure about that. Seekins medium rings are the same as other manufacturers low rings. Seekins lows are .82”. The tikka bases i have seen are shorter than remmy and savage bases and require higher rings as a result. Im not necessarily doubting you just double checking.
My bad, I was thinking 34mm/.92 Seekins.
The 30mm are shorter, I believe .82.

R