• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anschutz legal??????

Blumbergh

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could help me out before I place an order for a new rifle. I am looking to pick up an anschutz 1416 D HB. The heavy barrel model. I want to use it to shoot in NRA silhoette matches and I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal in the small bore hunting class. I read somewhere that the barrel cannot be a bull barrel but there isn't really anything form the description of the rifle that says it is a bull barrel. Does anyone know if I can use this rifle in the hunting rifle class as long as I stay under 8.5lbs??????

Here is a link for reference. Thanks for helping me out.

J.G. ANSCHÜTZ GmbH & Co. KG - Caliber .22 l.r.

This is straight from the NRA silhouette rules

I know it says High power rifle but if you look at the smallbore hunting in the rules it says they are identical to the high power sans a few things.

3.1.1 High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle -

(e) Barrel: A hunting style contoured barrel that tapers from chamber to muzzle. Bull barrels are not permitted.

A factory tuner that does not act as a muzzle brake or compensator is permitted. Maximum barrel length is

26 inches, including tuner. (See Rule 3.16.1).

From that description the barrel just has to have a taper. From the pic of that rifle it looks to have maybe a slight taper starting near the chamber end. I would call Anschutz and find out if the barrel diameter is the same all the way through or if it changes towards the chamber.

yeah, steel chickens is a great source for everything silhouette.

the tapered barrel is ok for hunting class, i think the original intent of the rule was to have sporter or thin barrels, but the wording allows a heavy barrel that's tapered, but not a bull / heavy / target barrel that's the same diameter from receiver to muzzle. Some will even question if the taper has to run entirely from chamber to muzzle, or the chamber swell is good enough with a straight profile thereafter. a good example is the older savage mkii B barrels with the step in it.

it's always been a controversial rule, either at a regional / state / national level as well as a local match, but is the rule as worded.

IMHO The whole thing is pretty much null anyway considering the majority of the rifles at most events are ground up purpose built speciality rifles. You look down the line at major shoots and the average rifle is perhaps 3.5K...... Extremely lightweight stocks with heavy barrels hanging out to ensure the very best use of the weight for a stable offhand platform..... My rifle - I dare say a large percentage of rifles on the line - make Hunter weight by less than 2oz..... Seriously studied premium quality constructions put together by speciality gunsmiths to the very optimum the rules will allow.

Just my .02

My gut tells me while technically a taper, it will not get past an inspection at a larger match.

Best bet is to get something like a Lilja #53 contour barrel which is about the norm for most Hunter Division rifles based on Annie actions.