• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Antler Points...

DirtyDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
Seems like everyone has a different way of describing how many points a buck has. Pretty much 3 ways to call it that I hear the most. Some of it seems regional and/or WT vs Muleys.
Not counting "Spike", "Forky", or "Spork"

1] 3x3, 4x4, 4x3, etc. Gives a # of points per side.

2] 6 point, 8 point, 10 point, etc. Total or Sum of ALL points

3] 3 point, 4 point, etc. Only counting points on ONE SIDE. This is the one that bugs me and seems to be the most common in CA. Why would someone call a Buck a "4 point" when it should be 4x4 or 8 point?
Never heard anyone call a 6x6 Elk a "6 point", why is this common with Mule Deer? Is this a CA thing? You dont hear this in the Midwest, there it's either #x# or Total points, Never just one side that I've heard.

Re: Antler Points...

I've heard/used 4 point, 6 point all my Life. saying 4 point implies 4x4. My buddy just got a nice 6 point elk. It was 6x6. A 4x5 Will be called a 4x5. The ”eastern” total point count i odd to me. Just my thoughts.

I've always used total points, why call it a 4 point if it has 8?

We always use #2 total of all points. I've never heard any different way here in Missouri.

The most common here in Ok. Is total number of points. Except when people talk elk then they use 5x5 or 6x6.

Its harder on whitetail deer because things like 8x6 dont roll off the tongue.

Dont get why some guys dont count eye guards as points either (on muleys). Maybe its a scoring thing, but I know nothing about scoring. Never put a tape to a set of antlers

Its really a West and East thing. West Coast folks tend to use 4x4, 6x4, etc with both deer and elk. East coast people tend to use total number, 10 point, 12 point etc. It mixes and blurrs in the midwest, obviously due to the location being between the two sides.

On a side note, Easterners tend to mistake muley antlers and count the first brow tine...

grew up and spent my whole life in colorado. have been a guide and full time taxidermist for the past 21 years. we always call mulies 4x4 or 5x5 and we always count eye guards if they have them. a 5x5 mulie is usually a 4x4 main frame with scoreable eye guards. whitetail we call as a 10 point or 8 point and so on. elk are like mulies 6x6 and so on.

I've always totaled up everything over 1" but at the end of the day it not about the "points" in about inches......

but that opens up a whole different can of worms, B&C SCI and so on.