• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any 223 pet loads for 16-18” bolt guns?

AR-180

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2006
The Triangle, NC
Does anyone have any good 223 bolt gun loads for more compact barrels?

I’ve checked the tacked thread, but I didn’t find much for shorties.

TIA

What components do you have access to?
Id tell you that 23.3-23.7 of 8208xbr under a 69-80 gr bullet will do well enough in any rifle.
But since 8208xbr is unobtanium it doesnt really matter.

The best choice will be the same regardless of it you end it a few inches earlier.

Reactions: nrspence
Tac does well, w748, cfe22e, blc2 and varget does very well.

My 16inch barrel likes pretty much the same stuff my 28inch does fwiw. The 16 just does it slower and blastier lol.

Do you have a standard 223 chamber?

69, 75, 77 and 80 grain bullets all do well depending on your barrel twist. What charge i/we use wont necessarily help you much... BUT I will say most all the powders I use in 223 or 5.56 seem to do well at the upper end of the pressure limit.

Varget tends to win out with the heavy bullets, but case fill tends to become a problem if seated short. Drop tube will help. The bal powders give much more room in that case, but sacrifice temp stability.

My 16inch barrel likes pretty much the same stuff my 28inch does fwiw. The 16 just does it slower and blastier lol.
This tends to be true.
Ever notice that when we went to heavier bullets and shorter barrels with tighter twists... that same Pet Load ammo tends to be at least decent in 16", 18" as well as ones over 20"?

Most of the heavy work gets done down near the chamber, then the remaining pressure just integrates to result in more speed with the longer ones. With the shorter ones, you get a little higher pressure at exit ("blastier" as redbullitt called it).

The bullet length (weight) dictates the twist, and the powders that do well with those weights do that regardless of the barrel length in the shorter direction.

Trying to take advantage of a "faster" powder isn't impossible, but due to the pressure limits of the barrels and brass, you don't get the same benefits as the opposite situation where a longer barrel might exploit a slower powder. Even then, most of the regular Pet Loads powders are at least decent in very long barrels.

When you start discussing barrels from say 10" to 14", then your loads can benefit from some tailoring that might mean a different cast of powders.

Try the usual cast of characters depending on your twist and bullet weight preference. If we are talking 69 - 77 grain range, then stuff like your Varget, RE-15, H4895, 8208, TAC, and so forth will be worth a look.

If you want better advice, maybe narrow down the twist and bullet that you are thinking about to keep the thread on focus. YMMV

I was able to test out various powders and bullet lengths.

It’s a 9 twist. It shoots well with XBR, TAC, and Re15 using 75 and 77 BTHPs.

It’s not a long enough barrel or fast enough to twist to stabilize 75 ELDs.

It hammers though and feeds perfectly from an MDT magazine. I’m happy.

I am still curious about trying a faster powder.

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: RegionRat
FYI I have a CLE chamber 18in with 1-7.7 twist . A NATO or Wylde chamber will probably like a higher charge.

LC brass and cci 41 primers on all loads
23 Tac with the SMK 69 has been a good load through my 18in SPR 2707 fps average. Accurate and I’ve been able to stock up on that powder and projectiles
I use this load for ringing steel

24.6 Varget gets me 2692 fps with the 69 SMK and is more accurate , but I’m lower on Varget.

My best load is the 77 SMK with 22.3 N135. 2637 average fps and little bug holes.

I don’t have my seating depth data with me but most are 2.25-2.26 mag length

18" 7.5 twist, 23.6gr 2206H (H4895) under Berger 77OTMs gives me 2730fps. Or 24.0 gr Varget.

Reactions: AR-180
Since I just started reloading, I've found surprisingly that I get better accuracy loading at the lower end of the powder scale. Since I don't care a bit about velocity, just accuracy at 100 yards, I'm finding it comfortable to do these tight sub MOA groups in my factory bolt gun with low or average loads than all these high power loads where you need to watch for signs of overpressure.

Reactions: Robert4
WOA 18” 1/8 twist gets me 2750fps avg with 25.8gr of varget and 69gr smk. I could push it a little harder and keep good velocity spreads and groups but brass life goes down the pooper.