• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any 3 gunners here? Shotgun advice

j-moose32

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
Just joined a local club and they have a monthly 3 gun competition. Considering grabbing a shotgun to go out and have some fun.

Any 3 gunners here? What are you running for shotguns? I was looking at the beretta 1301 tactical. What side saddles you guys using?
Red dots? I have a spare RMR or was considering that new aimpoint patrol optic

Thanks in advance

Watch a few videos on 3 gun shotgun reloading. Sidesaddles aren't really usable. Remember that in 3gun, shotgun is a reloading game. That's where all the time is. A red dot would put you in Open Class, which you probably don't want to be in. To be competitive in Open Class, equipment needs a lot of expensive modifications, as you'll also need Open pistol and rifle.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Many clubs that shoot 3 Gun are beginning to shoot the increasingly popular 2 Gun, which is just rifle and handgun. Shotgun targets are engaged with handgun. People have come to the realization that the shotgun aspect is all reloading.

• Love
Reactions: BurtG
1301 or Beneli M2 for Limited/Tac Ops or Modified. Both guns will need modification to loading port and extended tubes. Quad loading isn’t hard to learn but it takes a little time and caddies. I run a 3 gun match in Florida and that’s what I would recommend.

Or if you already have any shotgun (pump or semi auto) go with that to first matches and look at what others have. We have a lot of open shooters even at local matches that run box fed guns, Vr80 and other flavors.

Take away: run whatever in locals have fun on Saturday/Sunday, and if you get into shooting majors upgrade. Or like previous post run it 2gun if that is allowed. I love shooting the shotgun and I don’t really enjoy 2 gun but as a match director we get 20% more shooters with our 2gun matches because people are scared of the shotgun. Don’t put side saddles on for a gaming gun. Loading off the belt is way way way faster. Optics on a shotgun won’t increase your speed and most match directors will screw you over with flying clays.

If you are not in a hurry, Beretta is putting out an A300 tactical that will be way cheaper than the 1301. They say they are ready to ship.

Reactions: DIBBS
If you own any kind of shotgun already, just go shoot a few matches with what you have. I got invited by a coworker earlier this year to shoot his club’s 3-Gun match. I ended up running a bone stock 870 Express Mag with factory capacity (4+1). I was definitely underequipped, but I’ve had enough practice loading my 870s in upland hunting situations that my reloads are pretty efficient and I ended the only shotgun stage in the middle of the pack.

Additional benefit; Odds are other guys competing will let you run their shotguns if you ask, and you can find out what you like and want to buy to upgrade.

If you don’t own any shotguns already, I’m sure you’d be happy with a 1301T or any Benelli.

I had the same dream a few years back. Wow! 3-gun looks like fun!

Bought an 1187 and changed out some stuff for Dave's Metal Works stuff.

Then I found out that there's no more 3-gun around NoVA. You have a better situation than I do.

What I was found out watching videos: run the most rounds that your category allows. Fewer reloads. Then I'd suggest getting some inert rounds and practice quad loading. ...which is where I stopped.

A X round shell holder is a good idea for wearing on the stages too.

One of my local ranges has a monthly rifle/pistol 2-gun match similar to the Brutality matches, and a yearly shotgun/pistol match. Till my right eye went grey (and I started shooting more PRS matches) I'd shoot that 2-gum match (badly) every month

M

I ran benelli m2 and stoeger m3000. The catch with sg in 3 gun is loading it. It's the slowest gun of the 3 to do so, so get some caddies and practice...a lot. Start by standing in one spot but you really wanna get around the learning curve, practice on the move because it isn't og 3gun nation...standing in one spot. With comps like that...reload between shooting positions and count your shots

Reactions: Balor
Lots of good advice. If you have any semi/pump shotgun now, go try a local club match to get your feet wet before you spend any money. Tell them you're brand new and that's why you're there and have fun.

I love the shotgun portion of 3 gun and stand alone shotgun matches, but to me duel/quad loading took all the fun out of it.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Many clubs that shoot 3 Gun are beginning to shoot the increasingly popular 2 Gun, which is just rifle and handgun. Shotgun targets are engaged with handgun. People have come to the realization that the shotgun aspect is all reloading.
yeah 2 gun is where it's at! shottie just adds a bunch of logistics and hassle.

that said, hit a few matches and see what folks are using. i have a benelli m2 which seems to be pretty popular in 3g.

Thanks for all the replies gents! I’ll go shoot a match borrowing someone’s gun at first.

They call it “tactical 3 gun match” so I don’t know how strict it is as far as divisions and what not. I don’t think quad loading is a huge deal as the guy told me you can generally get by with a box of shells if you shoot it decent

Haven't shot it in a few years as matches seemed to dried up so my Benelli M1 has been sitting in the safe. Bought the shotgun used with an 18" barrel and replaced it. Has a 26" barrel now with a Nordic extended tube and fiber optic sights. Did some work on loading port to make it smoother and rounded for easier loading. Tried quad loading for a while and if you did it good it was fast but if you missed it then it was a cluster. Load two is easier but not as fast. Invictus Practical makes some great belt loaders.

https://www.invictuspractical.com/

Screenshot 2023-01-13 174129.jpg

Reactions: Balor
If you could find a used fn slp for a good price, it’s a great gun right out of the box.

I’m hearing some chatter from the local club where I used to shoot 3-gun about a new division called Modern Optics Division (aka Stealth). Shotgun is restricted to a tube fed shotgun (no AR or AK pattern mag fed shotguns allowed) but a red dot can be added.

I rarely shoot 3-gun anymore (too many other matches on the same weekend) but back when I did I mostly shot Scope-Tactical division w/ an iron sight pistol, AR w/ LPVO, and a 26” Benelli M2 w/ a +7 mag tube extension. The loading port on my M2 was opened up so I could load two stacked shells at a time (aka droppin’ deuces). I wore a couple shell caddies on my belt that held 8-shells each, which was sufficient for most stages, but I also have a cummerbund shell caddy that holds 20 shells for the really long shotgun stages. As far as loading the shotgun, I loaded 2 at a time by grabbing two shells and shoving them in with one motion, then grab another two, etc. I never really got to the point where I could quad-load consistently on the clock (I could do it in practice but in a match I often fumbled).

Most of the stages that I remember were under 20 shotgun shots (if you didn’t miss), but being able to load the shotgun quickly was a big deal.

Appreciate all the replies. I like the semi auto cuz well, ‘merica 🇺🇸, but I’ll go to a match and see what guys run. I don’t really have the interest (correction time ) for a whole new competition style. I wanna go, have fun, and use it to just get better in a competition setting in between other matches I focus on (rifle, or pistol). Quad loading looks sick, but I’m not there just yet 😎

like most of the guys said a 3 gun match is a shotgun reloading contest. Try to find a 2 gun match. :(:(:(

Quad loading isn’t hard to learn and I can teach most people in 15-30 minutes with the right gear (Invictus Practical caddies). To get super fast you need to practice but for more locals getting rounds in the gun for maybe 1 or 2 stages won’t cost you that much time and effort to learn the basics (ie not yardselling a bunch of shotgun shells on the ground). I never practice reloading anymore unless I’m gearing up for a major. Your loading port does need to be modified but after that it’s easy and one of the more “skill“ portions of the game to separate you from the pack.

You guys are talking 3 gun shotgun and didn't invite me? Much sad.

The 1301 is an awesome platform, but the Tactical is not an ideal competition gun. Ghost ring sights are too slow and overly precise. You'll end up wanting a 12 round tube so the short barrel makes no sense.

Shotgun is awesome. Full stop. Quad loading is easy. It looks way more intimidating than it is, and people that hate putting effort in will exaggerate the difficulty, best not to listen to low effort people. Spend five minutes a day for a month practicing and it'll be like riding bike for the rest of your life. If you can load 8 in 4.5 seconds you'll be fine, no need to practice the skin off your fingers to get sub 3 seconds for the insta likes. I haven't actively practiced quads since like 2017 and I can still walk up to a stage on a 15 degree day with numb fingers and throw down. Shotgun is really all about getting your loading plan/math down, sticking to the plan and minimizing misses because a couple of those will throw the plan off the rails real quick.

@TonyTheTiger you made those reloads look easy! Haha

For the 1301, I see they make a “comp” version. Is that what you recommend vs the tactical? Does this have the loading port modified? I’m guessing when mentioning modifying the loading port above it’s just opening it up, similar to a flared magwell ?

Yup quad loads look great until they don’t. Lol if you plan to do them practice a lot and make sure your shells are set in carrier the same. If just doing this recreationally then the load two will be easier for you to start.

Reactions: j-moose32
Definitely starting at the 2, until I have time to practice quad loading a bit on my own

@TonyTheTiger you made those reloads look easy! Haha

For the 1301, I see they make a “comp” version. Is that what you recommend vs the tactical? Does this have the loading port modified? I’m guessing when mentioning modifying the loading port above it’s just opening it up, similar to a flared magwell ?
It really is easy though. Careful starting with deuces. Everyone I know that's good at quads jumped in balls deep. Everyone I know still on doubles wanted to work up to quads then stagnated and never worked up to it.

Yes, the Comp is the one you want for gun games. The Comp Pro has some kinda weird features. Some guys I know that got them removed the Pro features and installed non Pro parts. The loading port is about as good as a factory one gets but still needs loving. Don't go crazy opening it up till you know what needs doing. I think I got about 70% of the way there on my first attempt then spent the next 3 years sneaking up on perfection as I identified little spots that needed work.
Factory port vs. mine.
Action-bottom-1.jpg
16737192028462695624795384146529.jpg

It really is easy though. Careful starting with deuces. Everyone I know that's good at quads jumped in balls deep. Everyone I know still on doubles wanted to work up to quads then stagnated and never worked up to it.

Yes, the Comp is the one you want for gun games. The Comp Pro has some kinda weird features. Some guys I know that got them removed the Pro features and installed non Pro parts. The loading port is about as good as a factory one gets but still needs loving. Don't go crazy opening it up till you know what needs doing. I think I got about 70% of the way there on my first attempt then spent the next 3 years sneaking up on perfection as I identified little spots that needed work.
Factory port vs. mine.View attachment 8047250View attachment 8047257
Thanks for posting! Definitely is opened up there. The match is a "tactical" 3 gun match where they make you move more from position to position, using cover etc, so I dont think its an all out 3 gun style match. Im gonna go to the next one and see what its like. Ill keep my eyes open for a 1301 till then. If a deal pops up for the tactical or the comp, maybe ill jump on it.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
You don't want the 1301 tactical. Everything is different vs the comp and not in a good way for 3 gun. Loading port is smaller, gas system is shorter, barrel is far less than ideal.

Just stumbled on this thread again. Shotgun is not a reloading contest. It's a hit your spots and don't miss contest. It just has a higher penalty for sucking, leading to more reloading.
With a wicked case of tendinitis I could barely quad yesterday. Still crushed this, way better than guys quadloading efficiently. Because it's all about not missing.

Lots of good advice. If you have any semi/pump shotgun now, go try a local club match to get your feet wet before you spend any money. Tell them you're brand new and that's why you're there and have fun.

I love the shotgun portion of 3 gun and stand alone shotgun matches, but to me duel/quad loading took all the fun out of it.
Yea if you have something already just give it a try. I took my winchester pump to a local two gun, pistol/shotgun match and other than having to reload a bit slower I still stayed in the upper third. I also shoot my pistol and shotgun a couple times a year. :)

Reactions: Modoc
The 1301T doesn't hold enough cartridges with the 18" bbl. Also the safety in front of the trigger kills me as I am used to rear safeties. I like my versamax tacticals/competition. They are hard to find as they are no longer made but they are awesome. Also got a mossberg 940 JM Pro and its a great value and runs great. I'd like to get my on the new Savage Competition guns.

Can't go wrong with a benelli M2 or some of the older Browning golds as they have a great speed loading feature that can save a stage.

like most of the guys said a 3 gun match is a shotgun reloading contest. Try to find a 2 gun match. :(:(:(
Even better than just 2 gun, try to find something that approximates a Brutality Match. Woodland Brutality was here close. Fairfax Rod and Gun club does a monthly club 2 Gun Action Challenge match that's 'brutality light.' (but is hard to get in to!)

Never have practiced loading my shotgun quickly. Sounds too much like work

M

Bringing this back to life versus starting a new thread.

What about red dots? I've always relied on the irons on my M1. Don't work so well now so want to put a red dot on

Bringing this back to life versus starting a new thread.

What about red dots? I've always relied on the irons on my M1. Don't work so well now so want to put a red dot on
On a rifle? Go for it.

Edit, somehow didn't notice this was a shotgun thread.

The new modified division would be a place for a dot on a tube gun. Be aware that must people struggle pretty hard on flying clays with a dot. It takes some getting used to.

Last edited:
I figure he is talking about a Benelli. It’s all good till you’re in open class shooting against box feds. Sometimes we get older and have to make compromises based on our age, and that is ok. It’s where I am now. I need a red dot to see the sights better, and if I have to run open but not be as competitive, that is ok. I do have a box fed, but dang it can be finicky. My problem is that I’m very competitive, so I have to set some boundaries for myself and stick with them.

Reactions: Nik H
I figure he is talking about a Benelli. It’s all good till you’re in open class shooting against box feds. Sometimes we get older and have to make compromises based on our age, and that is ok. It’s where I am now. I need a red dot to see the sights better, and if I have to run open but not be as competitive, that is ok. I do have a box fed, but dang it can be finicky. My problem is that I’m very competitive, so I have to set some boundaries for myself and stick with them.
It’s age based for me. I really want to know if there are specific red dots that people use on scatterguns like my Benelli M1. I use Trijicons on my pistols but not sure about using them on a scattergun

Probably the most common RDS I see is the Aimpoint Micros. A big issue is height over bore though. Plus, consider that the advantage of RDS is relieving the need for front and rear sight alignment. Not that big of an issue in shotgun aiming. Many shotgun shooters aim with a somewhat instinctive point method. Even a few of the open class racegun shooters I know returned to a fiber optic front "bead".