• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trapshooting shotgun recommendations please

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I couldn't really find a forum/thread strictly for trapshooting, so I decided to post in the competition section here.

I shot trapshooting competitions from the mid 80's through the mid 90's. Then family and other things got in the way and I lost interest and sold my shotguns.

I started with a Model 12, Then a Ruger red label O/U, then Beretta 686, then a Ljutic mono-gun. These have all been sold.

I'm looking to take up trapshooting again locally, and want to purchase a dependable shotgun.
    Perhaps (?) a single shot to start with, or O/U, or if I get really serious maybe a combo set. I'd like it to be of current/recent manufacture, with spare parts readily available but hopefully not needed. I've looked at the turkish CZ reviews and want to stay away from those.

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts and recommendations. Don't really have a budget per se, but probably 2500 or less depending on what rifles I sell to generate cash.

TIA

I couldn't really find a forum/thread strictly for trapshooting, so I decided to post in the competition section here.

I shot trapshooting competitions from the mid 80's through the mid 90's. Then family and other things got in the way and I lost interest and sold my shotguns.

I started with a Model 12, Then a Ruger red label O/U, then Beretta 686, then a Ljutic mono-gun. These have all been sold.

I'm looking to take up trapshooting again locally, and want to purchase a dependable shotgun.
    Perhaps (?) a single shot to start with, or O/U, or if I get really serious maybe a combo set. I'd like it to be of current/recent manufacture, with spare parts readily available but hopefully not needed. I've looked at the turkish CZ reviews and want to stay away from those.

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts and recommendations. Don't really have a budget per se, but probably 2500 or less depending on what rifles I sell to generate cash.

TIA
    I’m not a trap shooter, did registered skeet for decades and now I’m just getting old. lol

But, in that price range I’d suggest looking at Franchi. Owned by Beretta now. They make trap and trap combo sets.

Anything else I’d suggest would be a budget buster for you. As you know, good shotguns come dear.

Reactions: 6.5SH and DIBBS

TIA
    I seen you thread and went wow similar to you same thing got married and family duties got in the way was shooting trap 3-4 days a week in the mid 90’s and reloading to keep the costs down I laugh now I could get a box of win double A’s for around 2ish and reload for about 1.50ish how times have changed similar to you I started in a mod12,red label,and then saved for a 686 was looking at the CZ combo and haven’t seen the reviews and was thinking of getting back into it what did you hear about that CZ combo?

TIA
    No need to reply just started looking at the reviews that’s a no go for me in the CZ

Reactions: DIBBS
    Agree on Browning BT 99. Unless shooting doubles it is all you will ever need.

Reactions: bpd459
    Take a look at the Browning Citori CXT, I've been shooting one the last 4 years and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: DIBBS
    @DownhillFromHere any advice with your extensive shotgun background?
    Not really with a $2500 budget. I'd probably agree with the advice to look at Browning.

Like @Baron23, I come from a skeet background. I knew some very skilled competitors who ran Citori variants. The issue many (not all) folks encountered with Browning was that, while the shotguns felt great in the hand, they had excessive muzzle flip. Even with mild 20ga skeet loads, getting whacked in the cheek with every shot inevitably led to massive flinching.

@Baron23 thought Franchi might be a good option. It's been about ten years ago, but I met a guy then who bought a Franchi O/U... the barrel shoulders galled so badly the thing would barely open/close without being slimed with grease. Also, it was a field gun. Light to carry. Kick like hades. I was NOT impressed at all.

This - buying a field (hunting) gun for clay target disciplines - almost always leads to frustration. Field guns are lighter, stocks usually with more drop at comb --> unpleasant recoil. Again, I shot skeet. MANY of us ran 20ga in the 12ga events; giving up an inch at the edge of the pattern for greatly reduced recoil was a Very Good tradeoff, even with 9+ pound skeet guns.

Anyone seriously considering trap will almost certainly want to shoot handicap trap, with distances that require good 12ga loads to reach. Recoil is a HUGE thing. Therefore, my advice to anyone serious about pursuing trap would be to buy a dedicated trap gun. Go to a trap field and ask. People will be happy to show what they're using.
    --------
    In skeet, we used to say "There are two kinds of skeet shooters: those who flinch and those who will."

If someone buys a shotgun that stomps the crap out of him/her, he/she WILL flinch. Period.

Clay-target guns are stocked to mitigate recoil. Some are better at that than others.

With all that said - OP won't find decent trap guns at a gun store. He needs to search vendors of dedicated clay-target guns. The first place I would suggest calling is Robert Paxton at Paxton Arms. Robert specializes in skeet guns, but I would trust him to recommend other vendors. Finally, do not be afraid to buy used. Good shotguns Do Not wear out if properly cared for. I shot with a guy back in the '90s who started with a Beretta 682 that had 100,000+ shells through it when he bought it. He used it for several years without a hiccup.

My $0.02 worth. Maybe a nickel. I loved skeet and I appreciate quality shotguns.
    ----
    EDIT: Whether rifle or shotgun or handgun, people who hunt or shoot casually don't appreciate the volume of ammunition competitive shooters consume. That's why I harped on recoil so much. It's one thing to shoot a box or two of shotshells in an afternoon, or a box of .300 Winmag on a range day. Quite another thing to shoot 100-200 shotshells or 100 rifle cartridges in a day. At the peak of my competitive years, I was shooting 10-12,000 shells annually... and the nationally ranked shooters often used way more than that, as they had to SCORE 1000+ shells each in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 bore just to make minimums for awards. Inexpensive shotguns won't hold up to that kind of volume. Keighoff, Kolar, Perazzi, and others will - and wear parts are designed for easy replacement.

Last edited: