• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any 300 Win Mag fans?

BigPineyTradingPost

USMC, 0341
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2018
Missouri
Who hunts deer and elk with a 300 win mag? There’s so many fancy, new cartridges right now. Just wondering if the 300 win mag is still in favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX
Yup, my two 300 Winnys
Whitetail deer being their primary diet
31EC1451-63E1-4B5A-81F2-E22327E1DA92.png
1C5E9216-1952-48BC-8A36-81F62CAE54EC.png
C63BB9F0-607B-46DE-8E56-123AE02FD875.png

I'm a long time fan.
Not a very picky cartridge. East to tune. ( might be a 30 cal thing)
I load for over 20 different cartridges, if I had any sense I'd just have 6br, 260AI and 300wm.

On my third 300wm barrel and all have been predictably precise day to day at the range and instant death to critters.
20191118_183922.jpg
185gr Hybrid Targets, RL25 at 3200fps in a 26" barrel.
200yd scope zeroing
Shot a 6 shot group in the .4 range before I left for the hunting trip im on now.

300 win mag been getting it done for 50+ years. Ammo everywhere. My choice for "if I could only have one"

My first foray into the bolt-action world. Rem 700 Gen2 5R 24" with a little work done to it (Wyatts DBM, Timney Elite 2 stage, bedded, M16 extractor, NF 20MOA rail, MBM 4-port brake turned). Shooting 208ELDM 75g H1000 groups @ 5/8". Not too bad for a factory rifle and new shooter. Man, I shoulda started with a 22LR...

IMAG4855_Layer 1.jpg

Last edited:
Tikka T3 lite here. It's not a joy to shoot for extended periods, but it gets the job done in one, maybe two rounds.

• Love
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Fan of my 300s don’t believe I’ve ever had a 300 that didn’t shoot lights out

Been putting critters in the freezer since 1988 with 300wm... when it’s crunch time and tags need to be filled I always pull out the 300wm and make meat...

Great to see the ole girl is still popular!!

Reactions: Alabusa
I love 300 win mag. I’ve since moved onto 300 PRC tho. When my 300 WM Barrel is shot on my long range hunter it’s getting a 300 PRC also. With that said i wouldn’t hesitate to set up another 300 win mag. Excellent cartridge.

Have 2 300 win mags. 1 for long range targets and 1 for hunting. I hunt antelope coues mule deer and elk with it. 212 eldx 2878 hammer nothing goes any where. New and fancy isnt always better for hunting

Reactions: BCX and Alabusa
I love my .300 Win Mag. (Borden Rimrock action, Bartlien #5 barrel, Jewell trigger, McMillan Game Scout stock, and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 scope). It shoots 180 gr Federal Premium Trophy Copper ammo amazingly well and that combination has never let me down.

What’s it do over win mag?
Not much as i have found out from guys running both cartridges. Im have the same debate w my next build. Prob going to run a long throated 300 WM. Lapua is coming out w 300 WM brass any day now.

Not much as i have found out from guys running both cartridges. Im have the same debate w my next build. Prob going to run a long throated 300 WM. Lapua is coming out w 300 WM brass any day now.
Ive heard better barrel life and better /longer range factory ammo. ?

I might just go Norma if I get to wanting a horn 30

My buddy had a 300 PRC and the Hornady factory ammo wasn't that consistent. High ES/SD..
If you go 300 Norma PM me i have a low round count Bartlein off a Surgeon XL.

Reactions: deersniper
My buddy had a 300 PRC and the Hornady factory ammo wasn't that consistent. High ES/SD..
If you go 300 Norma PM me i have a low round count Bartlein off a Surgeon XL.
What 300 norma data? Im getting 2929 with 300 win mag 225 eldm 28 inch barrel long throat 3.787

Never shot it. Picked the rifle up for my heavy 338 LM AI build. Pulled the barrel, sold the trigger and used the rest.

What’s it do over win mag?

More speed less pressure with a better case design. No belt. Longer neck. 30d shoulder. Better suited for the 215-250 gr 30 cal bullets over the win mag when both using a sammi chamber.

I have to seat my win mag bullets way out in the case to get more speed compared to the speed of the PRC. Which is fine but I know I’m running them on the hot side and right below the yield point of the brass. Which is guaranteed to be on the top end of pressure. I can do the same thing with the 300 PRC with load that allows for decent brass life from Hornady brass and is an everyday working load. I will be moving over to ADG brass for the PRC shortly.

I will keep one of my deer rifles a win mag, out of respect for the cartridge. But any of my new builds or rifles in that class will be 300 PRC. If I want more speed I will go to the 300 Norma improved. But I haven’t had the need to increase over the PRC speed.

Don’t get me wrong I still love the 300 win mag. But where it leaves off the 300 PRC shines

Reactions: deersniper
300 WinMag with 200gr Partition is absolutely devastating on whitetail spine and CNS. It bores a tunnel clear thru.

Very, very impressive.

I've stacked Deer and Elk for 15 years with my Ruger 300wm. I love that round. My go to was 180 Accubonds and then before my moose hunt this last season I switched to 200gr Accubonds. I most likely will not go back to the 180's. No brake on the huntin rifle.

I have two hunting 300WM guns, with Elk being the steady diet and occasional whitetail. Bambi doesn't do well with my Winnie. I shot the last one with 220ELD X bullets in the high 2,800's with low single digit SD's. Used to run 200 grain Accubonds before Hornady came along with the goodies.

I have 3 tactical 300's. 300 is also my "if I could only have one" goto cartridge.

People talk this nonsense about a belted magnums, nonsense. We have had zero issues with the belted magnum with RWS, Norma and now ADG brass.

PB

Reactions: BCX and Yote Klr
What 300 norma data? Im getting 2929 with 300 win mag 225 eldm 28 inch barrel long throat 3.787

I thought I was killing with 2887fps, very nice. 28 inch barrel is a solid, mine are 25.5 to 26 inches. Every time I look at PRC and Norma and look at my ballistics, I think I got that already. Could probably hand load up its FPS, but not enough for me to change.

Nothing wrong with those fine cartridges.

PB

Reactions: BCX
yes yes I am a fan a wanna be owner one day as well .

Do some studying on the weight of the rifle in 300 WM. The heavy barrel is nice until you have to pack it a long distance.
Personal preference.

Hobo

Do some studying on the weight of the rifle in 300 WM. The heavy barrel is nice until you have to pack it a long distance.
Personal preference.

Hobo

I do agree on weight. Going to build me a light weight rem 700 mountain rifle, pencil barrel, walnut stock.