• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any 7-08 AR's out there?

monsterchevy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
I am getting ready to order a MATEN monolithic set for a larger framed AR and I want to do it in a 7-08. I think the 7-08 has better ballistics than the 30 cal but still retains enough bullet weight for knockdown power. Is anyone chambering barrels in this round and is anybody using this round and thoughts on it.
Thanks
Travis

Re: Any 7-08 AR's out there?

I ordered parts/ put one together 2 years ago, all nice components, kreiger, jp bolt, MA10 upper/lower, giselle, magpull stock etc. By the time I got every thing and put it together I had lost interest - it still has 0 down the tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDuc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the 7-08 has better ballistics than the 30 cal but still retains enough bullet weight for knockdown power. </div></div>

I don't see why you couldn't build one but I think the current crop of 7m08 match bullets need to be seated longer than the magazine which is a turn-off for me.

As far as knockdown power goes my 16" 308 will send a 180gr nosler partition to around 2400-2450fps with varget. If you want better than that a long action or short action magnum would be the next logical step up.

If I made an AR in other than 308 it would be 6.5MM caliber like 260. Plenty of lighter 120 grain hunting bullets that would be good for pigs and deer as well as 120 and 140 grain target bullets with high bc's.

That is a valid point you have about the magazine length being an issue and one I did not think about. I have thought about the 260 but I just felt it to be to small for hunting various sized game. I do think it would work well on deer but I also elk hunt quite a bit and would like to use it for that as well. I have used the 7-08 effectively on elk before and I guess I just thought the ballistics would be better for some 800-1000 yard target shooting. Maybe Ill just stick with the 308?

If your looking at 800-100+ why not look at the 6.5 creedmoor. As you can see in my signature pic I just completed a build using a MaTen Upper/Lower in 6.5 the ballistics on the 6.5 are great and it was designed as an AR cartridge the disadvantage you run into with the 260 rem is that its case length is so long you have to seat the bullets extremely deep in the case to keep the ammo at magazine length.

The ballistics are better it's just loading to mag length.

7mm08 brass resizes to 260 easily so that shouldn't be a problem.

260 is about like a 6.5 swede and that has killed all sorts of stuff.

308 is a great hunting cartridge and I think that the load I have would work on elk within say 200-300 yards. After that I wouldn't attempt it. Also because of the 16" barrel it is not a 1k yard rifle but it is consistent at 600 and 800 if the wind doesn't pick up.

You have to keep in mind that large frame ARs get heavy fast. Keeping a 16-18" under 9lbs with off the shelf components can be a challenge and then add optics, bipod, and a loaded mag...

if you are talkiing about a target rifle, look at the creedmore offerings, but if you are serious about using it for hunting, go with the 260 rem. Far more hunting loads available in the 260 then in the creedmore. The 260 will take just about any game found in North America, even elk if you can pick your shots. I would not use it for something like alaskan brown bears, but I would feel comfortable shooting anything else wandering around the north american continent.

Owning both a 260 and 7-08 in bolt guns I can say the recoil is noticed more on the 7mm, even if only slightly. But the recoil on my AR chambered for the 260 rem is pretty soft by comparison.

Unless you are handloading, then its a wash between the 7mm, the 260 and the creedmore chamberings.

For hunting go with the 260. If you hunt the big bears or concerned about the most power for knockdown, then go with a 308 or maybe something like the 300WSSM (Still pretty mild recoil in an AR platform).

Kope, do you have any problems with the mag length with some bullet weights or no? I know a .260 would work but I already have all components to reload 7-08 already and thought it would be different as well. Not sure if I should go with the 260 or stay 308. If I stay 308 I might do another M1A?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP 10 in 7mm08....

</div></div>
And....

Well I bought a SEI M1A receiver but I still want to know how well the 7-08 does in the AR10 platform. I started a build in a different direction for now but Im sure Ill be looking for another project when I finish this M1A.
Travis

Anyone looked in a AR10 in 7CM. Its just the 6.5 necked to 7mm. Would be perfect for the AR mags.