• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any bowhunters out there? Need some advice

Shooter_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Long Island, New York
Hey guys, just looking for some insight on a few issues here and i figured this is the place to ask. This season i'm looking to get back into bowhunting since i was 16. My dad had been asking for a while so i'm ready to jump back in. He hooked me up with his Martin Magnum Bow, a dozen carbon arrows with fieldpoints and 2 mechanicals, a release, the whole shebang to get started.

Now it's missing some things that i'd like input on, i need the following:

String Silencers, which are most effective?

Whisker Biscuit - I have the prong-style that i'm not a fan of

Broadheads - the game has changed drastically since i last looked, i'm looking at Rage Chisels, or any of the rage series in general

Illuminocks - worth it?

Front weight - Is it needed, how much is too much?

Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated. I feel like i'm starting all over again!

Re: Any bowhunters out there? Need some advice

I'll make give you my opinion. For what its worth.

I prefer a good fall-away rest. There are several good ones on the market. Mine is Fuze but I'm not sure you can get them anymore. Whisker biscuits rob fps and are to random foe my liking. Others will disagree just my opinion.

Rage work great. Get them and practice with the practice point before hunting.

Luminoks are more than worth it. Knowing where you hit a animal helps you decide how and when to tracl them

You'll get a million different opinions probably so here's mine:
I've only ever used Limbsaver string silencers and most of my bows have had the string silencers already on the bow when I bought it so I can't help you much there.

The rest depends on what type of hunting you're doing. Whisker biscuits are super simple and I've never had one fail on me. They're awesome for spot and stalk type hunting. You'll always hear that they slow your arrow down and they probably do some, but if you're not shooting feathers it shouldn't be much. I've never chrono'd one, but seems like 3-5 fps is all most people lose with blazers and some claim no loss at all. I have a Hoyt Carbon element and couldn't get a fall away rest to tune on my bow. Pro shop said that we'd just have to guess at the timing since he didn't have a high speed camera, I think he just hated those rests anyway since he called them skid marks.

I've used rage broadheads before and switched back to fixed blades. The rage cuts big holes, but didn't always give me an exit wound. I like two holes better, makes it easier to track IMO.

I also like the Lumenocks or their competitors. It is nice seeing where exactly you hit the animal, especially in low light, so you can make a better decision on when to track and it makes it easier to recover the arrow.

Front weight is whatever feels nice to you on the bow. I'd suggest going to a pro shop with a range and trying a few out. I personally don't have much weight on mine and like to keep my bow as light as possible.

the whisker bisquit or a good fall away rest will both work fine. at my lease, there is a split on them, and everyone still kills deer.

luminocks are good if you're videoing your hunt, and want to go back and look at the shot... I don't use them because deer aren't allowed into P&Y if you shoot one with them. Stupid assed rule in my opinion...

broadhead discussion... that's like pandora's box. If they shoot well in your bow, use a fixed head. Sometimes certain broadheads just don't fly well with certain arrow weights or lengths... kind of like bullets in a gun. I have a mathews ZX7 extreme, and can't shoot certain fixed blades to save my life.. other fixed blades like slick tricks work pretty well.

don't worry too much about all the gadgets.. jsut practice with your bow and become a good shot. nothing replaces a good fitting bow and practice.

I use F15 fixed broad heads from carbon express. String silencers are nice until the draw weight gets high (70+ lbs). The koosh ball looking ones have always worked for me. I run a 6 in stabilizer on the front of my bow. Try some out and see what works best for your bow.

one more opinion...

String Silencers: I like the monkey tails or string leaches. good for vabration absorbsion and small for short ATA bows.

Whisker Biscuit - I like the drop away style, find a good one that does not make too much noise when falling. a bit of molesjin in the right places helps here.

Broadheads - I am a true fan of short fixed blades (wac'ems, G5 strikers), but am starting to like the expandables for long range accuracy. G5 T3s are my go to head right now.

Illuminocks - great for tracking the arrow before and after the hit. can cost $$$. your preference really matters here. they do not change the shot or the accuracy, but can help identify where you hit (or missed).

Front weight - are you you referring to a stabilizer? if yes, I use them for stability on longer shots (50, 60, 70 yards). not really needed on shorter one from me. Try a few in different lenght and weights. see what feels right you are happy to lug over the hills.
if you are refering arrow weights, it is important to get the right spine (stiffness) and lenght. once that is achieved, check center of ballance. when the flechings and tip are installed, your arrow should have most of the weight at the front of the shaft. There are several apps on various arrom manufacture site to help determine this and suggest weight to add to correct imbalances. a good FOC stabilizs the arroe in flight and add penetration to impacts. bit added weight can slow an arrow too. need to find the right balance. a lot like load development in your rifle.

Most of all, have fun. and practice beyond your intended shooting range.

I would say if you are getting back into hunting keep it simple. It sounds like the setup you have is fine as it is.

Forget adding stabilizers, luminox, and all the fancy new stuff on the market that really doesn't make killing a deer any easier.

The wisker biscuits work fine with plastic vains, but will tear up real fletching.

Any string silencer will work, from the modern "Limbsaver" types to the old wool "quiviut" balls.

Same with broadheads, pretty much, they all work.

If I were you I would go somewhere like this http://www.ndarchery.com/ or similar.

Sure there are others around as well.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago and was in need of a new set up all around. I took my checkbook, wasn't pretty, but I have a great set up and the Pro Shop was awesome to work with.

I have used fixed blade, and mechanicals. I am now a die hard fixed blade fan. If your bow doesn't shoot them, then you have an issue with not having it tuned. If your bow isn't tuned then you are robbing yourself of downrange energy, and causing extra vibration. My favorites are the magnus stinger line. They penetrate retard well, are made in America, are cheap, and have a bullet proof warranty. If you fuck up the blade shooting into the skull of an animal (Javilina facing me at 4 yards was about to bolt and scare the herd. Two of my buddies and I harvested 3 out of that herd within 45 minutes on opening day.) they will replace it no questions asked. I would tune your bow, play around with different weight field tips, examine your arrow spine, and pull weight before deciding on the weight broadhead you will use.

For the rest I like whisker brisket for hunting. The fps it robs is minimal, and it more than makes up for that with how much nicer it is to stalk with a nocked arrow.

Luminocks I have never used, but probably will this season.

For the silencers, I always used to use the koosh ball type. I just bought a PSE bow madness XS last year and the thing is so damn quite that I have not bothered putting silencers on this one.

The stabilizers are all a matter of personal preference. It is kind of like a bull barrel vs sporter barrel argument. The longer heavier stabilizers are easier to target shoot, turns out they get in the way out in the woods though. I still know people who hunt with a two foot stabilizer and do well.

hands down drop the wisker biscuit. Get yourself a drop away rest. QAD makes a good one. And I definitely prefer fixed broadheads for big game. Slick Trick magnums fly just like my field tips and have great bone crunching penetrating power. Ive put them right through the shoulder blades of deer. My buddy is having good luck with his Muzzys as well.s I prefer the node style stabilizers, because it allows you to add or take away weight very easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, just looking for some insight on a few issues here and i figured this is the place to ask. This season i'm looking to get back into bowhunting since i was 16. My dad had been asking for a while so i'm ready to jump back in. He hooked me up with his Martin Magnum Bow, a dozen carbon arrows with fieldpoints and 2 mechanicals, a release, the whole shebang to get started.

Now it's missing some things that i'd like input on, i need the following:

String Silencers, which are most effective?<span style="color: #FF0000">Cat whiskers have been proven to be most effective</span>

Whisker Biscuit - I have the prong-style that i'm not a fan of<span style="color: #FF0000">Whisker biscuit is tough to beat. You loose MAYBE 2 fps (which has been the proven average). I have beat up far to many drop away shooters at the range to believe its any less accurate</span>

Broadheads - the game has changed drastically since i last looked, i'm looking at Rage Chisels, or any of the rage series in general <span style="color: #FF0000">broadhead tune your bow and shoot anything fixed blade</span>

Illuminocks - worth it?<span style="color: #FF0000">Not IMO and robs FOC</span>

Front weight - Is it needed, how much is too much?<span style="color: #FF0000">Use a stabilizer just heavy enough to balance the bow out</span>

Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated. I feel like i'm starting all over again! </div></div>

Nockturnal lighted nocks have worked great for me so far. They are tough and easy to turn off, and cheaper than the other options.

String silencers, I have had good luck with cat whiskers.

Rest, I've used both drop away and whisker biscuit, by far prefer the whisker biscuit for most any situation. Guys over on ArcheryTalk have proven several times that there is no difference in fps or accurancy.

Broadheads, I've been using Thunderheads for years, have yet to find anything better.

Luminocks, do affect FOC, but make it handy finding the arrow after the shot.

Stabilizer, I like a short one while hunting, just helps balance the bow.

Like most things this stuff is going to come down to personal preference.

Rob Opp

My .02

I'm shooting a High Country Speed Pro X-10

Rest- Used to have a Whisker Biscuit. Now a QAD fall away (love it)
no contact with the released arrow to effect flight. Holds it in place so it can't fall off.

String silencers- none. go with an aftermarket string stop. No lost speed.

Broadheads- MUZZY MX3 100 grain. I say again M-U-Z-Z-Y!!!!!
been shooting them since the late 80's with no issues
I just can't get the expandable itch. My blades are always open.
I actually used the same arrow all year once because every shot was a complete pass through. Pulled the arrow out of the ground, washed it off, changed blades and killed again.

String Silencers, which are most effective?

No idea.

Whisker Biscuit - I have the prong-style that i'm not a fan of -

Whisker Biscuit is nice and one of the best values for the $$ you'll find. That said, I'm using a QAD Ultra and like it very much.

Broadheads - the game has changed drastically since i last looked, i'm looking at Rage Chisels, or any of the rage series in general

I'm a huge fan of Slick Trick broadheads. They fly like field tips, are tough as heck and penetrate like crazy.

Illuminocks - worth it?

I haven't used them but will this season.

Front weight - Is it needed, how much is too much?

I prefer using a stabilizer and have never had it interfere with handling/shooting while hunting and I know it helps me shoot better which is a good thing when under stress.

Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated. I feel like i'm starting all over again! [/quote]

One thing you didn't ask about but since you're getting started again I'd like to touch on is that if you haven't picked up a climbing stand, make sure you do. My Summit Viper has been one of the best investments I've ever made for bowhunting.

Have had success taking elk with fixed broadheads, no issues between field points and G5 Montecs for my set up.
no luminox allowed here but would use them if allowed; can be a challenge to spot your hit and would be a benefit IMO.
String silencers? Nothing but synthetic hydrophobic materials but no opinion otherwise.
Stabilizer/weights; just enough so the top of the bow tilts forward slightly after u release...try some out

good luck!

Good starting setup. I shoot a martin bow also. I have used a whisker biscuit since I started bowhunting about 12 years ago.It just works so great. For silence use limbsaver products wherever you can.
For broadheads I really prefer muzzys. I used rage mechanicals last year and I don't trust them at all. By the time I got in stand atleast 1blade on all heads had opened up. Make sure you have the right spine for your draw weight on your arrows. Also with the whisker biscuit use blazer vanes.