• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Bushnell Elite LMSS spotter reviews? What about Leupold SX5?

Fenix Mike

Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Ive searched high and low, and I cant seem to find an honest review of these anywhere, let alone a review of them against anything else. Does anyone have one? What else have you owned or compared it to? Do you like it and would you buy it again if given the ability? I cant find one anywhere in stock to look at locally, and other than a couple generic "here's what it does" reviews.

For what its worth, Im looking at these two, as well as the Vortex Razor, Leupold MK4 and Gold Ring HD. Ive seen all in person (indoors) except the Bushnell, but its quite a bit cheaper.

I don't own an LMSS (Waiting on the LMSS2, hopefully this fall), but I have spent some time behind one - as well as Mk4s, Swaros, Vortex, etc.

From what I have seen, I'd say the LMSS is probably the best deal for the money in a higher end spotter. Damn good glass, usable but not obnoxious reticle, not too big, and good mag range.

Reactions: Fenix Mike
I have a Leupold kenai sx-? The adjustable mag eyepiece is terrible. The tripod in the kit is junk. The WA eyepiece is decent, but for reference my pst 6-24 is clearer, better image, (apples to tomato comparison) when looking at targets out past 700.

I bought a used LMSS with Horus reticle a couple of years ago; I never thought the focus was all that clear, especially around the margins and I think the reticle should be higher in the field of view on max magnification.
Check out the Athlon spotter - I think its similar to the Bushnell.

I have a Leupold kenai sx-? The adjustable mag eyepiece is terrible. The tripod in the kit is junk. The WA eyepiece is decent, but for reference my pst 6-24 is clearer, better image, (apples to tomato comparison) when looking at targets out past 700.
That’s probably the sx1, the sx5 I believe retails for $1799

It's the sx-2 retails $1300. Focus on it sucks balls to.
That’s really disappointing for an expensive piece like that. I played with the sx5 at Cabelas but wasn’t a ton of adjustment for 75 yards of view

I've used the sx-2 in all types of weather and was underwhelmed by its performance per price. It does have plusses. Its light-ish, and leupold had no problem getting me new lens caps after i lost mine... So theres that.

I have a LMSS without the reticle. I really like mine it's got good glass, it's light, easily packable. I do also have a big Kowa spotter, which is better in the glass, but weighs 3-4x what the LMSS does and cost 3x. I love mine for a field spotter, the Kowa is just the heavy range pig.

One of our great suppliers up here in Canada is actually sending me an LMSS with H32 to review so I'll report back with my findings. I'll be comparing it to my Bushnell Legend Tactical as well as (hopefully) a buddy of mine's Minox MD60ZR and a Mk4 and the Athlon Cronus.

I do wish mine had the reticle.

I would really like to see a spotter work the EBR7B that is close to the weight and size of the LMSS..... Hey vortex.......

I had the Bushnell Legend Tactical spotter for a couple years and it was good but not great. Had to send it back after the mount screw got stripped out from going from one tripod plate to another. Spotter was replaced with one that had out of the box failure. Reached out to Bushnell and I was able to exchange / upgrade to the LMSS with reticle and I’m glad I did. Great size and shape to it, lightweight, clear reticle, clear image and fantastic magnification range. I think it’s the best spotter on the market with reticle for the price point for sure. I think it’s easy to focus and get behind and lined up with target. The reticle is great and in a perfect location. The 8-40 magnification range is also great for adjustment and being able to dial in to that low 10-15 power range is a lot less eye fatigue when spotting at a match.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I had the Bushnell Legend Tactical spotter for a couple years and it was good but not great. Had to send it back after the mount screw got stripped out from going from one tripod plate to another. Spotter was replaced with one that had out of the box failure. Reached out to Bushnell and I was able to exchange / upgrade to the LMSS with reticle and I’m glad I did. Great size and shape to it, lightweight, clear reticle, clear image and fantastic magnification range. I think it’s the best spotter on the market with reticle for the price point for sure. I think it’s easy to focus and get behind and lined up with target. The reticle is great and in a perfect location. The 8-40 magnification range is also great for adjustment and being able to dial in to that low 10-15 power range is a lot less eye fatigue when spotting at a match.

Interesting, my Legend Tactical failed in the same way as your first one did. I'm sending it back in after our local match this weekend. I've asked them about upgrading as well. I agree that the Legend Tactical is good for the price but not great. Is the glass/image quality/ability to read trace very obviously better in the LMSS?

Interesting, my Legend Tactical failed in the same way as your first one did. I'm sending it back in after our local match this weekend. I've asked them about upgrading as well. I agree that the Legend Tactical is good for the price but not great. Is the glass/image quality/ability to read trace very obviously better in the LMSS?

Yes the LMSS is better in every way over the Legend Tactical model in my opinion.

So I just received an LMSS for review this afternoon. I had it out side by side with my Legend Tactical on my rear deck where I can glass a bunch of cliff faces from 1000 to about 1500 or so yards away. I can say right off the bat that the glass quality and image with the LMSS is far superior. I was curious to see that the field of view is actually a bit less (at the same magnification) with the LMSS (it's actually in the specs as well but I hadn't checked) than with the legend but the edge to edge clarity isn't even comparable and the lower available magnification on the LMSS lets you get more FOV if needed. I'll be heading out tomorrow with a buddy to compare how they both pick up trace which is honestly one of my bigger parameters. I should also have the Athlon Cronus and Minox MD60ZR in hand by the end of the week and will be comparing them to the LMSS. I'll do a full review/writeup when it's all said and done.

So I got out today to compare the LMSS and Legend T while spotting trace for a buddy of mine. Was hoping for a dry day as it was in dry air that I found it noticeably harder to pick up trace with the Legend T but unfortunately it poured rain all morning and was humid this afternoon, haha. Because of the rain, we went to the range instead of my long range steel spot so all spotting was inside 500 yards. Although I was generally always able to pick up trace with both spotters, it was easier with the LMSS and the trace was "clearer" if that makes sense? While I initially found the eye box of the LMSS to be a bit more finicky than the Legend, I got used to it after a bit and it wasn't an issue. I think part of that was having it on a shittier, less stable tripod, to be honest. Again, the image quality and edge to edge clarity on the LMSS is far superior to that on the Legend. I was hoping to compare how they both pick up mirage but there was none today. That'll be it for my comparison of the LMSS to the Legend as my Legend is going back for warranty tomorrow. Going forward I'll be concentrating on comparing the Athlon and the Minox to the LMSS.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I use the LMSS and it’s solid for the money. Mine is outfitted with Badger ARC Lite rail and PVS26 for low light situations. It works very well. I digiscope with it without issue. The Leupold Mark 4 edges it out only slightly.