• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Any Civil War buffs here?

ArmedGinger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2018
BC, Canada
Some might find this quite interesting.

Two years ago my grandmother gets a phone call from a small church down in the US. They asked us if we were related to a Judson Clark. My grandmother does a lot of Genealogy and they had found her through one of his family trees she put online. They informed us that they collect book donations to sell them to raise money and inside a bible was this piece of paper. It was Judson Clark's discharge papers from the Civil War.

sVjMtDg.jpg

He was a volunteer in the 1st Colorado Cavalry. Now sadly they were the same ones that committed the Sand Creek Massacre. I would hope though my ancestor was moral enough not to take part. Wishful thinking though.

The other cool thing is the gun in that photo was carried by Judson Clark through the Civil War. It is an 1851 Colt Navy that has been passed through my family.

Click the link below to see a high res scan of the discharge papers if you want to read them.

The Civil War relic is the one on top and the bottom is my modern reproduction by Uberti.

a5iHxwh.jpg

Wow, that's really something. I don't see and pictures of pistols.

It is an Imgur issue I believe. I had tried to link Imgur images in the past. If you take an image by using "open image in new window" and directly linking to this site, the image will disappear after a few minutes.

If linking from Imgur, open image in new window. THEN, REFRESH that page. Image will load again, this time with the Imgur header and white bracket. Only then can you post the image with no issues. The image will appear on this site with the Imgur header attached. It is probably a marketing thing.

Two years ago my grandmother gets a phone call from a small church down in the US. They asked us if we were related to a Judson Clark. My grandmother does a lot of Genealogy and they had found her through one of his family trees she put online. They informed us that they collect book donations to sell them to raise money and inside a bible was this piece of paper. It was Judson Clark's discharge papers from the Civil War.

sVjMtDg.jpg

He was a volunteer in the 1st Colorado Cavalry. Now sadly they were the same ones that committed the Sand Creek Massacre. I would hope though my ancestor was moral enough not to take part. Wishful thinking though.

The other cool thing is the gun in that photo was carried by Judson Clark through the Civil War. It is an 1851 Colt Navy that has been passed through my family.

Click the link below to see a high res scan of the discharge papers if you want to read them.

The Civil War relic is the one on top and the bottom is my modern reproduction by Uberti.

a5iHxwh.jpg

Excellent post, and welcome to the Hide.

I do gunsmithing on black powder revolvers and cartridge SAA's as a side gig and I practically live and breathe those old handguns and rifles. Ever see a .44 Remington ring steel at 300 yards? That old warhorse is more than capable.

First major adult novel I read while I was still in junior high was Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier. That was the book that practically shaped the way I am today. It is a guide to what being a real man means. Most memorable part for me was when a starving Inman took a basket of food left outside and still left money in it's place as compensation. The values of honesty, integrity and courage displayed by this character in both the novel and subsequent movie is priceless in today's society and more people should take lessons from it.

By the way, I see you are having some trouble linking images on this site. I posted a mini-tutorial of sorts just a post or two above this one. If you are using Imgur as your host, that should help.

sVjMtDg.jpg

a5iHxwh.jpg

Very cool! I lived near the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery and found one of my antecedents.

I have also toured a few battlefields. I defy anyone with a sense of history or patriotism to walk the battle line at Gettysburg and not tear up. I am not ashamed of saying that she’d a few tears looking down from Little Round Top into Devil’s Den.

sVjMtDg.jpg

a5iHxwh.jpg

Very nice. I have my great-great-great grandfathers discharge papers. It is humbling to think we are all linked to that struggle in American history.

Reactions: ArmedGinger