• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any dippers?

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
i know i know bad for your health and all. anyone else use this stuff? always interested to see how many people do. dont mean to offend anyone by this. posted this on a different forum about my offroad project and got a lot of flack for it. personally its my bad habit. i dont drink or smoke other than the occasional corn cob pipe.

Re: Any dippers?

Yep, I loved it for years, and I still miss it every day.

I quit 3 years ago when my dentist referred me to an oral surgeon and he said he needed to do a biopsy to see if I had cancer.
I quit that day, and all of the tests came back negative.

I hope yours do too!!
grin.gif

im on a can of copenhagen wintergreen a day now. would take southern blend or LC over wintergreen but with wintergreen at a bit over $2 a can to everything else around $4 ill stick to wintergreen
wink.gif

Can of mint Skoal will last me 3-4 days depending on stress levels.

I am a big fan of copenhagen and red man. My old lady is a dental assistant so I get a lot of flak for it but I sure do love me some worm dirt.

Yep, about a can every week or two. I've quit cold turkey twice just to prove to myself I could (6 months each time.) But I just like it. Once I decided to chew sunflower seeds instead, and that stuff did more damage to my mouth and gums than worm dirt ever did.

Can to can and a half daily. Grizzly straight cuz I'm a cheap bastard. Damn Marine Corps is to blame!

Used to do the Skoal Edge wintergreen for awhile, then picked up Red Man gold blend. Didn't stink up the clothes and hands plus, could sit at my desk and do it instead of going outside for a smoke break, very important in the dead of winter and dead of summer for me lol.

Particularly stressful day resulting in quite a bit of the Skoal, I woke up the next morning and felt like someone had taken sandpaper to my inner lip, swollen up and everything.

I switched to the shredded beef jerky that looks like a skoal can they sell at 7-11 to quit lol

Copenhagen Long Cut, because snuff gave me heartburn.

I was a can and a half per day Copenhagen guy at the end of my 18 year addiction. I used the nicorette gum to quit.

I still dream about dipping and I have to fight the urge every hunting or fishing trip. Sitting in a deer stand with a lip full helped pass the time. Of course, it was easier to justify the addiction when you could get a roll of Cope for $18. That stuff is way too expensive now.

Started Snuff at 9yrs old Gold River.... moved to Skoal then Copenhagen...

Shit started to make gums sore and gave me heartburn BAD.. Copenhagen Black was the worst!!

Quit 12 yrs ago.. Only miss it once in a while!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixpack340</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Grizzly straight cuz I'm a cheap bastard. </div></div>

+1 but wintergreen

Many a keyboard have suffered the famous "Shank induced Copenhagen spew" here on the hide if you look back through posts.

About a can of Copenhagen per day here.

1 can of cope will get me 2 days or so. Using the extra long cut. Its like regular long cut except it pinches better and it goes for the promo price like the wintergreen.

1-1.5 cans a week to 1/2 can a day, depending on my extra curricular activities for the week. Timber Wolf red and black. The real name is natural or classic...I just call it red and black due to the IQ of the average convenience store clerk.

Hate to be the party pooper, but dealing with this issue first hand.

The LE Community in our area will be burying an Officer very soon. He has inoperable mouth/throat cancer, and will be passing as a result of it any day now. No question that the cancer is a result of his daily dip habit.

Hardest part, is not watching him worry about the fact that he is going to die, but watching him worry about how his wife and very young kids are going to make it once he is gone.

Like most folks, he had no intentions of dying at his age (under 40), and as such he had made little to no preparations. Now his family is facing life without his income (only one they had), without any life insurance or death benefits (PD will not pay), and without any family support (parents are passed, and they have no other siblings).

His closest friends on the job tell him every day that they will do everything they can for his family, and I am sure they will, but you can tell the worry for his family is 100 times worse than anything he is personally going through himself.

Needless to say this is having a big impact on a lot of the people interacting with him, and fortunately there may be some good coming out of it. One group has pledged to stop smoking and/or dipping, and another group is working to see that everyone is a prepared as they can be if there is a sudden unexpected death in the family. As bad as the situation is, hopefully some good will come out of it.

Food for thought,
M Richardson

The relationship between dip and oral cancer is very low if any at all. Smoking and oral cancer is another story.

I switched from smoking 1/2 pack a day to now chewing half can a day when my son was born. So lets switch this topic a little (sorry to hijack your thread) whose quit and how!? I've been using some type of nicotine for 20 years now.

How did you quit? I'm getting to the point that I want to quit so my son will never remember it when he gets older.

Very sorry to hear about your friend Captain. Cancer is tragic and like all tragedies often we want to find something to demonize and blame. I have lost a father, sister, numerous uncles, all to cancer. Not ALL used tobacco. Some used and quit and some never had used. They all died. If I give up tobacco it will not bring any of them back. Everything is dangerous in excess. I have seen plenty of people who live with a gigantic wad of dip in their lip, or chain smoking, or 6 pack of beer a day, or a pound of candy a day or......get the picture? Tobacco has been used for many hundreds if not thousands of years. There are many factors not being allowed into the equation when the evils of tobacco come up in a conversation. How about the correlation of refined sugar use to the rise in cancer? Know anything about that? The correlation in rise in cancer rates with the increased use and abuse of alcohol? Ethyl alcohol is a carcinogen too, bet you didn't know that, not many people want to talk about it since it is sooooo good for your heart. The rise in cancer rates with the advent of certain food aditives, use of non stick teflon, increased use of plastics, etc etc ad nauseum.

You want to quit? If you want to quit you can, if you don't, you never will. I quit for 3 years because I wanted to, and I started back for the same reason.
People are quiting their vices right and left and the cancer rates continue to climb. I would have to imagine that we aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Cope long cut wintergreen is $1.79 a can and lasts me about 1.5 days.

Switch to dipping from smoking a pack a day of $6 marlboro lights.

I chew Red Man. Couple times a week is all. Throw one in at work in the afternoon sometimes.
Started out with Skoal and got up to a can a week, quit for a few years, then picked up Red Man.

Grizz Wintergreen... Tin a day.

Quit smoking 8yrs ago, started dippin... Cheaper, less risk, I don't smell like an ashtray, and best of all is I can breathe!!!

Dr. even said it was a better alternative than smoking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalebDuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im on a can of copenhagen wintergreen a day now. would take southern blend or LC over wintergreen but with wintergreen at a bit over $2 a can to everything else around $4 ill stick to wintergreen
wink.gif
</div></div>

$2 a can!!!
shocked.gif

Copenhagen where I live is around $6-$7! Grizzly is about $5

I'm pissed that they eliminated online tobacco sales... I used to order mine from N.C. and it was $10 a roll w/ free shipping!

i hate to say but im a can a day dipper like i said above and my dad is currently in the final stages of losing his battle with cancer. it effects all of us at one point or another. in fact half the reason i dip so much is trying to cope (pun somewhat intended) with a father 1100 miles away that is on hospice while im trying to focus on finals and schooling and skeet team and all that. as far as quitting a lot of guys i know go to sunflower seeds (i can attest that when im around non-dippers i chew on some sunflower seeds instead of packin a lip to avoid offending them and it kicks the hankering) or to that beef jerky chew you can find almost any gas station. also if you are quiting check out smokey mountain dip. its a natural herbal stuff that tastes exactly like a flavored dip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You want to quit? If you want to quit you can, if you don't, you never will. I quit for 3 years because I wanted to, and I started back for the same reason.
People are quitting their vices right and left and the cancer rates continue to climb. I would have to imagine that we aren't looking at the bigger picture. </div></div>

Don't know if this was aimed at me, yes I want to quit it has nothing to do with Cancer, if I get it I get it and that sucks but life will go on until it doesn't. I want to quit for monetary reasons and so my son will never remember me with this disgusting habit that we all love so much. That's why I asked if anyone had any tips on how they quit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalebDuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im on a can of copenhagen wintergreen a day now. would take southern blend or LC over wintergreen but with wintergreen at a bit over $2 a can to everything else around $4 ill stick to wintergreen
wink.gif
</div></div>

$2 a can!!!
shocked.gif

Copenhagen where I live is around $6-$7! Grizzly is about $5

I'm pissed that they eliminated online tobacco sales... I used to order mine from N.C. and it was $10 a roll w/ free shipping! </div></div>
it was about $4 a can for the wintergreen to about $5-$6 for the others down around my hometown in California. needless to say $2 a can up here in Wyoming i was ecstatic especially for a poor college kid haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
People are quitting their vices right and left and the cancer rates continue to climb. I would have to imagine that we aren't looking at the bigger picture. </div></div>

Don't know if this was aimed at me, yes I want to quit it has nothing to do with Cancer, if I get it I get it and that sucks but life will go on until it doesn't. I want to quit for monetary reasons and so my son will never remember me with this disgusting habit that we all love so much. That's why I asked if anyone had any tips on how they quit. </div></div>
threw in some tips for you right before your post
wink.gif

I have a dip in right now! I am a Cope fan but at almost $8 dollars a can in NY I usually chew Grizzly as it is closer to $5 a can. I quit for three years and then folded under the pressure and went back to dipping.

Goose. Yes it was partially aimed at you and advice for anyone else thinking of quitting. If you want to quit then I think you should. If you are having a hard time quitting cold turkey then ask your doctor for Welbutrin. I don't like pills and there are side effects. Welbutrin works, although it will disconnect the trip switch between your brain and mouth. If you think someone is an asshole you will tell them.

There is also a possibility to grow your own and make your own snuff without all the chemicals that go into the mix. I grew my own and have probably 200lbs aging in a barn, completely organic and chemical free. I have yet to make any snuff yet but I have the recipe and plan to do so as soon as I feel it has aged enough. The aging process breaks down the carcinogenic compounds greatly reducing them. Which may account for pipe smokers being some of the least effected by cancer rates.

a buddy of mine is a coal miner in WV. he will not go underground without at least 6 cans of Copenhagen on him. he gets 4 dips per can.

I went through a can of Copenhagen every few days for a couple of years. I started while working at the computer lab in school. There wasn't much work to be done, I wasn't ever much on studying, and I had reached the end of the internet. Dipping gave me something to do at work. Then it gave me something to do while driving. I would quit when my tolerance got too high because I enjoyed the buzz, but of course I eventually just kept dipping without the buzz out of habit. When I finished school and actually had things to do it started to become a hassle. Having to track down bottles (I needed a water bottle, a spit bottle, and a finger cleaning bottle) became too much of a headache. Knocking a spit bottle over and having to stop what I was doing to clean up that mess was terrible. I finally decided that I got absolutely nothing out of it anymore. No buzz, I have plenty to keep me busy, I don't have to worry about being jittery and it sure as hell isn't making me money. I quit cold turkey and used sunflower seeds to satisfy the oral fixation. Then I became addicted to sunflower seeds... Dipping was more a habit than an addiction for me, but sunflower seeds became a full fledged addiction!

I still pick up a can on the rare occasions that I go out to a bar. It is great for keeping beers spaced out so I don't have to worry about a DUI. There isn't more than 1/4 missing when I throw it away the next morning. If I don't start with a beer, the stuff gives me a headache and makes me sick now.... I can't say I miss it at all. It disgusted me before I started, disgusted me while I was doing it, and disgusts me now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goose. Yes it was partially aimed at you and advice for anyone else thinking of quitting. If you want to quit then I think you should. If you are having a hard time quitting cold turkey then ask your doctor for Welbutrin. I don't like pills and there are side effects. Welbutrin works, although it will disconnect the trip switch between your brain and mouth. If you think someone is an asshole you will tell them.

There is also a possibility to grow your own and make your own snuff without all the chemicals that go into the mix. I grew my own and have probably 200lbs aging in a barn, completely organic and chemical free. I have yet to make any snuff yet but I have the recipe and plan to do so as soon as I feel it has aged enough. The aging process breaks down the carcinogenic compounds greatly reducing them. Which may account for pipe smokers being some of the least effected by cancer rates. </div></div>
any chance on sharing the recipe an details? a buddy and i are planning on going as low cost as we can next year. make our own booze (moonshine beer wine etc.) and looked into some stuff to make dip but havent found anything good yet.

I used to dip 2 cans of Copenhagen a day. It wasn't as expensive as it is today for sure and being able to get it a the PX made it really cheap. I quit when a saw a TV show showing a 20 something year old who lost half their face to dipping. Stop right there and then. To this day when I see someone go to put a dip in, my mouth waters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalebDuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goose. Yes it was partially aimed at you and advice for anyone else thinking of quitting. If you want to quit then I think you should. If you are having a hard time quitting cold turkey then ask your doctor for Welbutrin. I don't like pills and there are side effects. Welbutrin works, although it will disconnect the trip switch between your brain and mouth. If you think someone is an asshole you will tell them.

There is also a possibility to grow your own and make your own snuff without all the chemicals that go into the mix. I grew my own and have probably 200lbs aging in a barn, completely organic and chemical free. I have yet to make any snuff yet but I have the recipe and plan to do so as soon as I feel it has aged enough. The aging process breaks down the carcinogenic compounds greatly reducing them. Which may account for pipe smokers being some of the least effected by cancer rates. </div></div>
any chance on sharing the recipe an details? a buddy and i are planning on going as low cost as we can next year. make our own booze (moonshine beer wine etc.) and looked into some stuff to make dip but havent found anything good yet. </div></div>

What I have is the Cope recipe. It involves 2lbs of cased leaves ground to desired consistency. 1 liter of water, salt, potasium chloride, large stone crock and heating source. I willneed to find my book to get exact amounts and such. You willneed to grow some tobacco. There are many varieties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't know if this was aimed at me, yes I want to quit it has nothing to do with Cancer, if I get it I get it and that sucks but life will go on until it doesn't. I want to quit for monetary reasons and so my son will never remember me with this disgusting habit that we all love so much. That's why I asked if anyone had any tips on how they quit. </div></div>

Electronic cigarettes: http://altsmoke.com/ No cancer, no smell, aside from the cost it's a guilt free nicotine habit. It's just water vapor.

I dip! I confess. Almost everyone I know does it from time to time. I fell into it playing sports in high school and college. It was a baseball thing, then when I was in college I took a night class with every Alabama football player on the team. It was an easy credit and it was actually a fun class. We ALL dipped, we shared it with the teacher even! I sat by a defensive lineman, whom was a very large dude, and he talked me into "bumming a dip" every class. I'd hand him the can and I would get back about the equivalent of a normal size pinch! Asshole!

I have tried quitting but usually high stress situations bring me right back to it. I have vowed to quite though. I don't want to my son to see me doing it and grow up thinking it's the cool thing to do because his dad does it. My father in law dips like a fiend, he constantly has it in.

And to the person that said dip has little to do with mouth problems, that really depends on the person. I have seen guys do it for 25+ years and it not do a thing to them. I have seen others do it for a month and have to have teeth removed from infection.

I don't dip at all.
But I support an active duty team (scout/sniper team of the 1/327 Infantry) that has quite a few dippers.
If you PM me, I will give you their APO (they are over there now) and you can send a roll (Or log or whatever you call a bundled up package of tins) if you wish.
Someone on this forum sent a crapload of good cigars a few years ago, and they were greatly appreciated.
Thanks, now back to your regular programing...

I loved Cope. Quit over 10 years ago and still have nightmares where I'm still addicted and trying to quit! Guess quitting years ago was traumatic, and left me with flashbacks!
smile.gif

I recommend you quit too.....how are you going to feel about yourself if one day, you're eat up with cancer because of dip. That's coming from a hypochondriac though...
Take care,
Phillip

Yep, I only go through a can of Copenhagen in about 3 days. Cut down a ton. Many,many midnight shifts in the Patrol car-Dip is your FRIEND
cool.gif

Also tried the swedish snus (pronounced snoose)from General, the Original brand. Small packets like Skoal Bandits.They pasteurize the tobacco and eliminate many of the carcinogens.

We all have our vices. Now that I'm getting old and already crippled, I'm running out of things.... Its way too easy to swill good bourbon,smoke cigars and dip.