• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience reloading PPU brass??

alfson

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
Does anyone have any experience with reloading once fired PPU (Prvi Partizan) brass? Specifically 6.5x55 Swedish caliber? Also any recommendations for or against any other makers? I am just getting started with this after nothing but 30-06 for many years.

I've loaded quite a bit of .338 Lapua mag and 7.5 Swiss brass. Its all been good and worked well. The .338LM brass seems to be pretty consistent though it has less capacity than the Lapua brass. The 7.5 Swiss brass works well in all the straight pull rifles. Its not a good idea to reload for the Stgw 57 so I haven't done that....
So far I've loaded the 338 cases up to 7 times with no issues and the 7.5 5 or so. I don't shoot the swiss rifles that much so they don't go through the brass.

Frank

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a try and see how it works.

I have reloaded ppu for my 308 with good results. In my opinion the brass seems very soft. Sometimes it is difficult to eject a spent case after firing. It always produces accurate results though. It also lasts much longer than federal brass in my experience.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

reloaded lots of 7.5 swiss a with very good results, their 6.5 grendel not so much, brass is way too thin

Can't address your caliber, but I've reloaded tons of PP brass in 7.62x54R. They have deeper primer pockets, and chony a little slower than Winchester brass same caliber.

I've reloaded PPU 6.5x55. Got 3 loadings on it before buying Lapua for more precision. Worked ok, no failures. Not very consistent as far as weight or length, but all were useable. Accuracy was much better using Lapua brass. Annealing and prepping PPU brass may show you some benefit.

Reactions: Short Round
I have had no issues with their match ammo in 308, very consistent groups from a full case of ammo with every 20 round box with the same lot numbers, Reloading it has shown good case life with full length resizing and trimming it back. Primer pockets are still tight using CCI primers and I am sending a 168gr bullet at 2700fps for 1/4 moa at 100 yards. I just ordered 100 rounds of 338 Lapua brass and I am curious if it will hold up the same way.

Just got in the Lapua brass and it looks very nice, already annealed and ready to go. We shall see how it holds up compared to the HSM brass and S&B brass that I am currently using.

I absolutely hate this ppu brass in 223 I've had about 3,000 pieces that wouldn't size properly. Of course every other manufacturer I've had no problems at all. I think it's very brittle brass seen the case head cracked once on the stamp end. I'd rather recycle this junk than fool with it what a nightmare it was. That's just my nightmare you may have a different opinion. Hate it yes sir it sucks for me Straight to the recycling box if it comes my way...

PPU brass is notorious for loose primer pockets after a few loads in 6.5 Grendel. If you can get it cheap enough, it's ok for plinking.