• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Any experience with “torch style” laser illuminators?

McNamara0851

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
Who has experience with these things? It would be paired with a simrad. I’m interested in the Sirius xtl. Can they be used to scan in spot mode? Are they too intense for gen 3 NV? Are they as bad ass as they seem? Currently running a TNVC torch and need more throw to ID critters that are in the next section, and to shoot steel.

Who has experience with these things? It would be paired with a simrad. I’m interested in the Sirius xtl. Can they be used to scan in spot mode? Are they too intense for gen 3 NV? Are they as bad ass as they seem? Currently running a TNVC torch and need more throw to ID critters that are in the next section, and to shoot steel.
-
A lot of those LED diode lights are pretty high output . That T-20 body style sold online is real common also . They can focused/collimated down and really get out there several hundred yards No Problem, had power to go past 500 yard easy . I bought a Chicom t-20 off ebay to checkout few years back and IR thrown out was pretty impressive when put next to peq15 and atilla200 .
To intense for NV ? .. Yes , like all high power IR, if you illuminate and Bloom off 'close quarter' foliage or objects when it on High Power mode . It not good for your NV tube for sure .

Thanks for the feedback. Still interested to hear from someone running a torch style laser Illuminator like the one mentioned above. I’ve been around the T-20 style, I’d like to find something to run in conjuntion with my LED torch, or stand alone, to reach out to, and possibly beyond a half mile. Most of our land is flat, so I hunt a lot of places where I can see multiple fence lines or tree lines inside of a mile.

Attachments

• 8336183D-9A5B-41C4-90B5-756681091692.jpeg
    8336183D-9A5B-41C4-90B5-756681091692.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 142
That Pic. ??? , WTF ??? do you have any Trees there ? ....LOL

I've only used laser illuminators but in a thread on here a guy said the ELIR-3 (?) performs as well as a PEQ2 on high. I said that was a bold statement and he stood by it. Now I haven't seen the ELIR-3, he says he's compared 'em side by side and I'm not quick to call bullshit on another member, especially if he's seen 'em together.

So I'd ask around about those, TNVC would also be a good company to call, Vic can square you away on all the numbers, etc. and he's trustworthy.

That Pic. ??? , WTF ??? do you have any Trees there ? ....LOL

It looks like NE/KS and yeah, there are no trees. At all. It all looks like it's a couple droughts away from being the "New Mojave".

I have not seen or used the Sirius but have tons of time on peqs including the uhp/la-5 along with the luna elir-3. I can say the luna is pretty much on par with 45mw version peqs.

the atilla 200 along with the la-5 are in a league of their own for sure. the izlid at and even higher league yet. I am interested to hear your report on the spir @The King...

It looks like NE/KS and yeah, there are no trees. At all. It all looks like it's a couple droughts away from being the "New Mojave".
[/QUOTE]

i went pheasant hunting in tipton KS for 10-12 (2001-20012 +/-) years strait with my brother, father and a misc crew of 4-6 around opening day

I have the ELIR-3. Without the US sales safety filter you can remove it’s a 200mW laser if I remember right. It’s no joke.

Only reason I’m trying to flip over to the SPIR is eye safety.

I've only used laser illuminators but in a thread on here a guy said the ELIR-3 (?) performs as well as a PEQ2 on high. I said that was a bold statement and he stood by it. Now I haven't seen the ELIR-3, he says he's compared 'em side by side and I'm not quick to call bullshit on another member, especially if he's seen 'em together.

So I'd ask around about those, TNVC would also be a good company to call, Vic can square you away on all the numbers, etc. and he's trustworthy.

I’m in central Illinois. We have some old hedge rows here and there, but for the most part our township is flat and tillable.

i went pheasant hunting in tipton KS for 10-12 (2001-20012 +/-) years strait with my brother, father and a misc crew of 4-6 around opening day
[/QUOTE]

We'd damn near run over whole (packs? covens?) of those bastards everytime we drove down the road. Big bastards too, like wild turkey big. Tons of deer. There really isn't a better place to hunt come to think of it. There is no cover. At all. But there is tons of grain and cold weather.

I’m in central Illinois. We have some old hedge rows here and there, but for the most part our township is flat and tillable.

Damn. I was way off. Pretty much everything from Appalachia to the Rockies looks the same to me!

If I remember the guys told me that the ring neck pheasant is actually from Asia/China
No wonder why I liked shooting them so much

What always gets me about central/west central USA (I’m in ny) is the wind never stops.
Here we get gusts and lulls, there it’s the same mph all the time.

If I remember the guys told me that the ring neck pheasant is actually from Asia/China
No wonder why I liked shooting them so much

What always gets me about central/west central USA (I’m in ny) is the wind never stops.
Here we get gusts and lulls, there it’s the same mph all the time.

Thanks for jinxing me dick!

Attachments

• A72E2B5E-7373-432B-BB25-150F488123B9.jpeg
    A72E2B5E-7373-432B-BB25-150F488123B9.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Wow
Reactions: brianf
I ordered an illuminator yesterday. Interested to see how it stacks up with some of the higher end stuff.

It’s an armasight co-x G3 pinnacle.

This mounting setup is also the first thing i made with my CNC milling machine lol.

well i’ll say it was only OK.

we had a high lume night and I don’t think it helped.

We had a full moon and no cloud cover. So 100% Lume. and this is high desert so it’s a thing. the SPIR added about 10% light to a full lume situation at 1km.

I would say that more focus on the beam would have been welcomed.

Second pic is buttfucking insanity (my nickname for the unfiltered ELIR-3)

No. it came to a dead stop right there.

Steiner advertises the maximum focus as 2 degrees. 2 degrees is 35 mils. This looks like about 60 mils in size of a beam.

something is wrong there man. any video and pics ive seen of the spir it focuses way tighter than that.

I agree, my SPIR focuses down to 2 degrees. That matches up to the field of view of my scope at 8x. The edges of the beam are way more well defined than your pic. Any chance the focusing ring of the SPIR is hitting something on your rig?

It sure ain’t. I used a dbal d2 today with identical results.

I measured the beam divergence on this unit. It is approx 3 degrees. I have a call into steiner.

I wonder if steiner did an in-line upgrade.

so what mag were you on with your spotter set up in your pics? I presume that's the vortex 15x spotter? if so have you tried this with a variable power optic to see how the beam looks with the spir?