• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience with Barnard P-Chey action

Re: Any experience with Barnard P-Chey action

My friend shoots a .375 CT with this action and it shoots like stink !! I say go for it !!

A good friend of mine had a RUM built on a P-series action; they are real nice.

Talk to Later. I know he was having a 375 built on one but I'm not sure if it's finished yet.

-John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zunrj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good friend of mine had a RUM built on a P-series action; they are real nice.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Talk to Later.</span></span> I know he was having a 375 built on one but I'm not sure if it's finished yet.

-John </div></div>

1+ on Later. He is very well versed in the 375 CT and extreme long range shooting

Howdy,
I have the first 2 production P-Chey actions and I built one of them into a .375CT for myself. In short, I couldnt be happier with it. I fitted mine with a Lawron barrel and put it into a custom Wild Dog stock and it is incredibly accurate. I think the small ejection port and fact that it is a short, solid round bottom action all increase it's ridgidity and accuracy. It may not look as pretty as a Lawton 8000, but if you are after pure performance id highly recommend the P-Chey.

Well lets see where to start trying to explain and describe the Barnard P-Chey action....It is pushing the border of being best action built for the following reasons:

1. Very smooth 3 lug design. Very smooth bolt operation..not only the camming of the bolt but the complete bolt cycle.

2. Bolt body is same diameter as bolt lugs so action doesn't have to have raceways machined into it. They done this very well as the fit is sooo good that it keeps dirt out but at same time allows dirt to be handled.

3. The bolt length of pull can be adjusted by taking allen wrench and moving a "stop".

4. The bolt release is a hard fixed "stop" screw so you do not have to deal with recoil impulse jarring a spring out from the normal bolt stops. The bolt body itself has a "maze" groove built into it that allows you to puzzle the bolt in and out of action.

5. You can call them and have multiple bolts with different bolt faces ordered and just drop the bolt in the action and go.

6. The ease of trigger installation and removal is great. Also the adjustments of the trigger are incredible.

7. You can get it built with no ejector (for the big ELR cartridges I prefer that).

8. The firing pin system can be completely disassembled with no tools. All you do is turn the knurled knob, remove a cap with ball bearing on it, pull the firing pin out if you are so inclined to play(research) around with spring weights.

9. The action is available with a bedding block which fits the action like a glove but also acts as recoil lug due to the action itself is built with a hole in bottom of it and the block is built with a rod in it. That combination acts as the recoil lug.

Thanks and if any other information is needed feel free to call.

Well lets see where to start trying to explain and describe the Barnard P-Chey action....It is pushing the border of being best action built for the following reasons:

1. Very smooth 3 lug design. Very smooth bolt operation..not only the camming of the bolt but the complete bolt cycle.

2. Bolt body is same diameter as bolt lugs so action doesn't have to have raceways machined into it. They done this very well as the fit is sooo good that it keeps dirt out but at same time allows dirt to be handled.

3. The bolt length of pull can be adjusted by taking allen wrench and moving a "stop".

4. The bolt release is a hard fixed "stop" screw so you do not have to deal with recoil impulse jarring a spring out from the normal bolt stops. The bolt body itself has a "maze" groove built into it that allows you to puzzle the bolt in and out of action.

5. You can call them and have multiple bolts with different bolt faces ordered and just drop the bolt in the action and go.

6. The ease of trigger installation and removal is great. Also the adjustments of the trigger are incredible.

7. You can get it built with no ejector (for the big ELR cartridges I prefer that).

8. The firing pin system can be completely disassembled with no tools. All you do is turn the knurled knob, remove a cap with ball bearing on it, pull the firing pin out if you are so inclined to play(research) around with spring weights.

9. The action is available with a bedding block which fits the action like a glove but also acts as recoil lug due to the action itself is built with a hole in bottom of it and the block is built with a rod in it. That combination acts as the recoil lug.

Thanks and if any other information is needed feel free to call.

Don't have a P-CHEY, but have a P and 2 PL's. 6.5X55, 338LM, and not yet built 7MM-338LM.

I'd add to Later's statements above (with which I agree)

1) Best trigger I've ever shot.
2) Very fast lock time
3) Very high quality from threads to bolt. Ground after hardening.

6.5x55 shoots .100's

338LM metal work completed, in process of stocking. Very long barrel, wanted PL because of thread diameter and length.

7MM-338LM, parts in hand but not yet started.

Very happy with Barnard quality, and MT Guns. Mac is first rate guy.

See Barnard at: http://www.barnard.co.nz/

See MT Guns at: http://www.mtguns.com/

PS:

Bases, action wrenches, other accessories available from MT guns. Also high quality stuff.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparky50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very happy with Barnard quality, and MT Guns. Mac is first rate guy.

See Barnard at: http://www.barnard.co.nz/

See MT Guns at: http://www.mtguns.com/

</div></div>

+1.

On the action wrench, Mac told me to use an Al block in the ejection port....

Bill

Once again, thanks! I really appreciate all the input, makes my decision making process much more precise.

Best lockup around. Super smooth action. Best bolt timing out there.
Excellent 2 stage trigger.

Any recommendations on gunsmiths who have worked on the Barnard receiver for a Cheytac build? Would any reputable gunsmith who has built Cheytac stuff in the past be able to build a rifle on this receiver? Thanks in advance for replies.

Propulsion,

The Barnard requires NOTHING to be done to the action so essentially it would be easier for a smith to build a rifle on. All they have to do is cut barrel correctly and everything will match up!!!

Thanks