• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any experience with the RND 201 bipod?

Nukes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Central Coast of AZ
RND-201-th.jpg

Any comments?

RND 201 ? Side Mount Bipod

I don't think any bipod is worth $715. Especially one that wont work on any type of rifle with only being able to mount to side pic rails. I don't see this being any better than the LRA Fclass bipod which puts the pivot point higher up as well, yet it can be mounter to any rifle. Seeing that the high pivot is really the big "selling" point of this thing.

DSC_1715.jpg

I've been running it's predecessor for the last five years now and love it. The 201 was designed for beefier rifles like the TAC-50 and ASW50, where a simple Harris or Altas might not cut it. On larger rifles, I like bipods that are mounted above or near the bore center line for added stability, and having had bipods from RND for our .408 Windrunners, Troy Vanvaley and I asked Lloyd to make a version that we could mount to the side rails of our new SRSs back in 2009.

The main complaint I've heard from people is "it looks like it doesn't swivel!", which is true. Though for me personally, the goal was stability over anything else and when you're shooting ELR distances, there's less of a need to swivel along Y or Z axis. Is it pricey? Yes. Is it solid? Very. In the five years I've had mine, they've taken quite a beating and held up very well.

Would I use it on a short action? Nope, but they're great for that area where the average bipod seems a bit under-supportive.

ETA: I like this bipod so much that when I finally get around to an HTI, I'll be getting a set of 201s for it.

Last edited:
DSC_1715.jpg

I've been running it's predecessor for the last five years now and love it. The 201 was designed for beefier rifles like the TAC-50 and ASW50, where a simple Harris or Altas might not cut it. On larger rifles, I like bipods that are mounted above or near the bore center line for added stability, and having had bipods from RND for our .408 Windrunners, Troy Vanvaley and I asked Lloyd to make a version that we could mount to the side rails of our new SRSs back in 2009.

The main complaint I've heard from people is "it looks like it doesn't swivel!", which is true. Though for me personally, the goal was stability over anything else and when you're shooting ELR distances, there's less of a need to swivel along Y or Z axis. Is it pricey? Yes. Is it solid? Very. In the five years I've had mine, they've taken quite a beating and held up very well.

Would I use it on a short action? Nope, but they're great for that area where the average bipod seems a bit under-supportive.

ETA: I like this bipod so much that when I finally get around to an HTI, I'll be getting a set of 201s for it.

Thanks for that. It is intended for a DTA SRS. The Harris with GG&G QD works fine for the 6.5 Creedmoor and .308, but there is a noticeable difference in group sizes between bags and the Harris bipod when I drop in the .338 LM 26" barrel. I asked about the RND because I wondered if a beefier and somewhat underslung bipod would help me tighten up those groups to what I can do from bags.

Interestingly, when I discussed bipods with Russ at DTM, he suggested that the SRS shoots better with the bipod back towards the trigger group. There does seem to be less hop with the bipod rearward. Your experience in that regard?

I think hop is more a function of how you handle the rifle than the placement of the bipod. The location is really a personal preference issue. I prefer to run the Covert handguard these days, so the bipod is moved back a bit, but I wouldn't want to bring it back too much. The SRS is incredibly well balanced to begin with, so I don't think having the bipod close to the CG in this case is as big a deal as it is on traditional rifle where the weight is more forward.

If looking for a bipod in that price class that i super stable, underslung and very solid
I would take a closer look at the Eliteiron Revolution bipod.
The price is bad enough, but it has some nice features, it's not just two height adjustable bipod legs with rail clamps at an outrageous price.

Last edited: