• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any feed back on brownells brn-180 uppers?

I watched the guy above too much and was going to go all Mk18. But instead I bought the 10.5 180S upper and put it on a pistol lower. Mine is a gen. 1 so that was the only way to get the flip deal for suppressed. I haven't shot it a lot, but it's run perfectly for me with my one can. Seems to be accurate enough for what it is as well.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
I got one, took it to the range, worked great right from the get-go. no issues. ammo prices, range availability, and other projects put this one on the back burner for now.

Funny thing, the day I took it to the range, there was another guy there with one, unbelievably with the same optic, but non-folding M4 buffer tube stock. He said he liked his BRN-180 also. and it is an "economical" optic.

00JyDl6.jpg

Reactions: Bravo6niner
Friend has the 16" variant. I haven't seen it ran with match ammo for accuracy, but it is a pretty smooth shooting system.

The one my brother just got seems to shoot under moa pretty easily with 69 gr nosler match. I put my old swfa 1-6x24 on it because I had one in a mount just kicking around. With a good bipod and more magnification I'd bet it would be better. Worked great with a suppressor too.

Folding stock on a 16 is probably the shortest you can go without SBR

I like it but I don't know how much extra use I'd get out of the folding stock which is the one big bonus over an AR

LAW sure sells a lot of those buffer tube hinges ...

I was considering one but ended up getting one of the new LMT 12.5 piston setup's. From everything that I read, at least in the 556 versions, people seem to really like them, they seem to suppress much nicer than the MCX and do so at a fraction of the cost.

Traditionally, I tend to lean towards mil guns, but in this case, I will eventually grab one.

The BRN-180 was developed by and is manufactured for Brownell's by PWS. With a lower and SB folding brace, as shown, it weighs in at just 5.75 LB. I've put three together like so far, and everyone seems very happy with them. The recoil is quite soft and the reliability is 100%.

View attachment 7754791View attachment 7754792View attachment 7754793
Yeah, that's what I heard, seems legit.

Wish sig put the same amount of effort into the mix, it should not be as heavy or as gassy as it is.

Myself and a few friends have a couple in 5.56 and one in .300 b/o. We've all been pretty happy with them so far. Great for running suppressed and keeping the gas out of your eyeballs.

Reactions: Lonely Raven
Yeah, that's what I heard, seems legit.

Wish sig put the same amount of effort into the mix, it should not be as heavy or as gassy as it is.
So, I had heard lots of issues with gas on the MCX, but my Virtus isn't gassy in the slightest from what I have seen (Sandman S & Hybrid). I'm currently having the barrel reduced to 13.7" from 16". I have seen a lot saying the <11" guns and rattler are bad, but I don't have any time with those.

The virtus is heavy though and I've been really impressed handling the 180 pistols for their lower weight. I wonder if you can put a BRN-180 on a MCX lower??? Would be a cheap way to pick up a .300Blk upper to use with subs for hogs.

I think it's a nice design. My only gripe is the wonky threads on the 300 blk versions. They use a very odd jam nut and collar setup that seems to be an unnecessary complication.

I just got one to replace a RRA Varmint upper that weighed a metric ton. Wanted to lighten things up. Got a KNS stock pic rail and an A3 folding stock.

Much less gas in the face, and I like side charging, particularly right side charging, so much better. I also like the reciprocating charging handle as one could actually use some force to chamber a round vs. the AR15’s forward “assist” cough cough. Lefties could have some problems, however.

It also shoots soft, and this is coming from a guy who doesn’t really like recoil.

Someone mentioned barrel availability as an issue, and I hope Brownells makes a bunch of different calibers available. I’d go for a .204.

There seems to be a bunch of buzz around the BRN-180.

So, I had heard lots of issues with gas on the MCX, but my Virtus isn't gassy in the slightest from what I have seen (Sandman S & Hybrid). I'm currently having the barrel reduced to 13.7" from 16". I have seen a lot saying the <11" guns and rattler are bad, but I don't have any time with those.

The virtus is heavy though and I've been really impressed handling the 180 pistols for their lower weight. I wonder if you can put a BRN-180 on a MCX lower??? Would be a cheap way to pick up a .300Blk upper to use with subs for hogs.

Nice,

I like where Sig is ultimately taking things, I wonder how much of the gas issues are the result of people running the wrong can. My short MWS was awful with my gemtech, but once I mounted my Sandman, it was perfect.

For the price of the BRN180, I think its an incredibly attractive option for a blaster or something different. Sub 1000 bucks that can be tossed on any lower, kind of cool.

At the end of the day it comes down to product support.

I just got one to replace a RRA Varmint upper that weighed a metric ton. Wanted to lighten things up. Got a KNS stock pic rail and an A3 folding stock.

Much less gas in the face, and I like side charging, particularly right side charging, so much better. I also like the reciprocating charging handle as one could actually use some force to chamber a round vs. the AR15’s forward “assist” cough cough. Lefties could have some problems, however.

It also shoots soft, and this is coming from a guy who doesn’t really like recoil.

Someone mentioned barrel availability as an issue, and I hope Brownells makes a bunch of different calibers available. I’d go for a .204.

There seems to be a bunch of buzz around the BRN-180.

I would like to see them expand the line up but honestly for the price, I am ok with what they are and anything else that comes out is a bonus. The issue I have with companies such as FN and Sig, is that essentially they say hey, buy our super modular carbine for 2500 bucks, and really don't support a big part of that equation.

Reactions: carbonbased
This thread cost me money. I wasn’t planning on getting one, but Brownells has them for $879.99 and RTC is another $30 off. So, I just ordered a 10.5”
Nice,

let us know how you like it when it shows up. 556 or 300BO?

Nice,

let us know how you like it when it shows up. 556 or 300BO?
I was cheap and took the free shipping so, I should see it around 17 December 2021. I got it in 5.56 and will slap it on one of my SBR lowers for a while. I might get the BRN lower and run it as a pistol for a truck gun in the future.

I was cheap and took the free shipping so, I should see it around 17 December 2021. I got it in 5.56 and will slap it on one of my SBR lowers for a while. I might get the BRN lower and run it as a pistol for a truck gun in the future.
Awesome.

I think it's interesting that for the longest time I felt that piston guns naturally just recoiled a little sharper than DI guns. Well that changed when I started shooting my lmt piston. Shoots soo nicely.

Between the weight and the recoil of the brn I really find the brn alot more appealing than some of its pedigreed cousins.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Awesome.

I think it's interesting that for the longest time I felt that piston guns naturally just recoiled a little sharper than DI guns. Well that changed when I started shooting my lmt piston. Shoots soo nicely.

Between the weight and the recoil of the brn I really find the brn alot more appealing than some of its pedigreed cousins.
I have been shooting a Robinson XCR for a while and just SBR'd a 12" Robinson XCR (waiting on the AFT). They shoot soft because of the adjustable gas block. The Robinson XCR actually became my go to gun and I use it for classes.

Hmm. May have to look at retrofitting my DD Mk18 SBR with one of these. Of course I would have to redo the stock to a folder also. What the heck, it’s just money.

full disclosure kind-of-thing, a couple of guys on TOS allege that their recoil springs are too weak. under the Piston sub-forum.

Last edited:
full disclosure kind-of-thing, a couple of guys on TOS allege that their recoil springs are too weak. under the Piston sub-forum.
Weird stuff happens. whats odd is despite having a decent reputation, it seems like at least in a couple cases, they really havent been able to figure out what the issue is. For the price, I would still give one a try

I've had a Gen 1 upper for awhile and was on the list for a looong time to get a 180 lower. Finally arrived just as I was moving 2000 miles! 8 months later I found it in a box. Just put it together this weekend. I like my receivers to match if I can. Will post some pictures once I get it out in the light. Put a LaRue trigger in it and a PA 1-6 LVPO w/ Acss on top. Pics to come

EDIT— w/ the BRN lower under it I could not get it to cycle but was short time to really work on it. Probably the adj gas block. If we didn’t work on our guns what would we do?

Attachments

• C32B1986-BE88-46EF-8588-CA495A9605FD.jpeg
    C32B1986-BE88-46EF-8588-CA495A9605FD.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • CCCBD307-B5E4-4CE5-BDED-BEF7A38E81DE.jpeg
    CCCBD307-B5E4-4CE5-BDED-BEF7A38E81DE.jpeg
    595.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 445E68F7-4FD5-4FAD-A206-23E7BB4AEF63.jpeg
    445E68F7-4FD5-4FAD-A206-23E7BB4AEF63.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:
Reactions: BCP
but my Gen 2 16" 5.56 shoots great, no problems at all. I use a regular AR-15 lower with the KNS pic-rail receiver end-plate (w/ flange).

I have a 16" 7.62x39 on back-order. might be a while, who knows.