• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any fixing this or scrap metal

bschneiderheinze

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Behind the Glass
    The barrel nut would not move on this savage long action so I tried the action the recoil lug stayed in place and chewed up the action face. I know I am not a gunsmith was just going to remove the barrel to have it rebarreled. Looks like at least 1/4 inch would have to be removed to clean up getting into front base hole.
    f353652a25dfb1061cad2c86e8a7b123_zpseed53377.jpg

At some point you just have to shut down and re-tool.... I'd say turn that action into a nice mug handle or something.

I can fix that pretty easily! True the action face, drill it for a 5/16" pinned recoil lug and re-bed it. But if you'd rather make a paperweight out of it, let me pay the shipping and a few bucks for your trouble for shipping it to me instead.

The action may have been twisted also in the barrel removal.

R

True...What kind of action wrench was used and was heat used? Another consideration is that you'll get into the front scope base hole before the bottom of the recoil lug slot. The slot should be about .100" deep. That tells me, it won't take that much to clean up the face, but the front scope base hole will get REAL thin up front before it cleans up.

Last edited:
    What the heck happened to that thing? I have never seen one on that side that an action vice and a wrench wouldn't break free.

He drug the dimple on the recoil lug around the action face.....a couple times.

The trigger and complete bolt are worth a bit, but the action is toast.

Sorry to pile on but I think Dirty Harry said it best

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What you lose from re-truing the front of the action, you might be able to have an extra thick lug ground to make up the difference

The only thing the thicker lug will gain you is to help the barrel nut cover the threads on the barrel.

from the teeth marks on the front of the action i'm guessing a pipe wrench was used while the barrel was locked in a vise?
    For future referance if you don't have the proper tools (barrel vise and nut wrench) bite the action in the vise just far enough back that the lug is in the vise and can't turn then use the wrench to turn the nut.
    It appears that the nut and possible the lug were locked together maybe in the vise jaws and the action was turned having the little tab from the recoild lug do all that damage.
    It can be fixed , it needs to be setup and dialed in like if you were going to blue print it , cut all the gobbered up stuff off and chase the threads. Get a thicker recoil lug and contunie as normal , you will still have plenty threads in the action for strength so that not an issue , you bedding will have to be heavly modified in the recoil lug area.
    I'll give you $50 for it as it sits

Looks to me like it can be fixed; the question simply comes down to whether or not it'd be a worthwhile activity. I doubt it'd be economical to pay someone to do the work, and if you knew someone who could do the work for free, then I doubt that this sort of screw-up would have occurred in the first place.

While the following advice won't help the OP in the least, I offer it up to anyone who may come across this thread in the future - barrel nuts are cheap, pretty damn easy to cut off with a rotary tool and some due care, and are far less expensive to replace than a receiver. I've learned that if I can't immediately crack loose the nut on a factory-installed barrel, then it's best just to cut off the nut and prevent any further waste of time.

Well, you wanted the barrel off; now it is. That's some serious "don't-take-no-for-an-answer" gunsmithing. If a girl goes out with you and says "no" what do you do then? The pipe wrench?

I have made the same mistake on other things because I am impatient. It always bites me in the ass. Luckily I have never done it on an action. If the LongRifle GB doesn't kick off soon, i'll be taking a blow torch and grinder to fit this damn barrel.....Does anyone have a butter knife/reamer!!!

I don't see why it can't be repaired, just not a price that you'd be willing to pay. Put it aside, keep it as a project gun for you or a friend when they get a lathe...or sell it for 100 bucks to one of the guys here.

I hadn't seen this thread, but i bought this action. I do not have a lathe, but I think i can "fix" it. My intent is to file the action as square as possible, use a standard recoil lug as i will be making a stock for it. I will use a take off barrel. as for the rail screw i will mount a full lenght rail on it with the other three screws and drill and tap it for another as close as possible to the front. I know i'm likely to get some flack for this, because it's not the "right" way, but i think it will work.