• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any FN 5-seven owners/lovers out there?

Torian13

Whiskey and Bad Decisions
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2014
East Coast
I have recently been eye surfing the FN five seven as my next pistol purchase. I am more of a practical pistol guy, own mostly glock compact and subcompacts. The five seven doesn't really fit in to the practical realm, but it's still got my attention. Who has experience with the platform? Pros/cons?
thanks guys.

I have shot and owned 5.7 pistols/rifle. I'm leaning towards the side that thinks when space dictates no room for a rifle, then a 5.7 pistol fits the bill. On a motorcycle, long distance riding off road, hiking where weight is an issue. A bug out bag if that term hasn't been beaten to death. If you own a PS90, already. I think if you have members of your family that are small in stature or recoil sensitive than it should be your go to pistol/rifle? You need to pick up SS198 for serious carry loads. ss197 or american eagle should be considered practice loads with different zeros.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a lover of the cartridge. Right tool for the job. When it's appropriate?

I sold my whole set up this winter to pay for a large portion of my Barrett MRAD. I will have another 5.7 pistol. Maybe a PS90 again?

Last edited:
I bought an IOM 5.7 when they were first released, fun to shoot but not that accurate, LOUD which is fine, no recoil to speak of and the 30rd mags are kind of a novelty. I also bought a Gen1 PS90 that I SBR'd,,that's a gotta have in my book,,,talk about a bullet hose. No recoil again, 50rd mags. Doesn't suppress well but most bullpups don't. I don't regret either purchase

They are definitely fun pistols to have, high capacity, good accuracy past 100 yards, low recoil, but expensive to shoot for a pistol. Ballistically, theres a lot of question about how effective they are too.

I have one as well (even used it at the SHC '15, to the glee of a couple RO's). Nice pistol, decent round. No complaints about reliability or accuracy. Knocked over all the plates I shot with it.

They are definitely fun pistols to have, high capacity, good accuracy past 100 yards, low recoil, but expensive to shoot for a pistol. Ballistically, theres a lot of question about how effective they are too.

Ft Hood shooter used one and the affects where devastating. All torso and head shots were killed including abdomen, so not just chest shots. Everyone (minus a couple a grazzing shots) hit in the arms or legs had broken bones including the female officer who ended the shooting. Her femur was broken. Her 9mm rounds ended the fight but did not kill that SOB just paralyzed him.

Get the pistol and a five-seven upper for your AR and have a ball. PSA has the ammo on sale all the time. As low as $15 for 50 rds.

Last edited:
Fun little firearm, I liquidated my FiveSeven and PS90 after sandy hook as my ammo supply started dwindling as prices shot up and it's just not worth it to bother reloading as you cannot run them easily in a progressive without custom setups and even then reports of brass longevity are pretty poor.

That being said, I will pick up one of each of these once again someday down the line as they definitely are fun. If you ever get the chance to shoot a P90 suppressed you better not blink as that 50 round magazine empties out FAST on full auto!:cool:

Update. Walked in to a local shop and walked out 20 minutes later with a new five-seven in FDE. Mil discount and a couple boxes of ammo put me at a little over 1k. Put 50 rounds through it on Saturday and it became my favorite full sized pistol I have owned to date. Love it