• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any free divers or spearfishers in here?

ridewaves

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
Hawaii
Just wondering. There's something to be said for hunting where you're not at the top of the food chain. Anyone?

Re: Any free divers or spearfishers in here?

yes sir. i go out of tampa mostly but have dive all around the state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitt91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes sir. i go out of tampa mostly but have dive all around the state </div></div>

I assume you mean Florida? Shore or boat dive? What kind of game do you guys have over there? I'll get some other pics up in a bit but here's something from yesterday.

Shot him in about 20 feet of water with an Omer 110 pipe gun.

ee72b412199e11e2bfc622000a1cde39_7.jpg

I used to free dive quite a bit when I lived down in the Indian Ocean. Unfortunately, the British owned the island and diving or owning a spear gun wasn't allowed.

Anyhow, I shot this in the Rocky Mountains a couple yrs ago.

IMG_0230.jpg

The lake is glacier fed and 555ft deep. My favorite place to Dive in WY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to free dive quite a bit when I lived down in the Indian Ocean. Unfortunately, the British owned the island and diving or owning a spear gun wasn't allowed.

Anyhow, I shot this in the Rocky Mountains a couple yrs ago.

IMG_0230.jpg

The lake is glacier fed and 555ft deep. My favorite place to Dive in WY. </div></div>

Sounds cold. Man... I dream about diving with a tank. Growing up in Hawaii, its just taboo. Over here you gotta have the lungs to get your fish. What kind of fish is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ridewaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitt91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes sir. i go out of tampa mostly but have dive all around the state </div></div>

I assume you mean Florida? Shore or boat dive? What kind of game do you guys have over there? I'll get some other pics up in a bit but here's something from yesterday.
</div></div>

mostly from a boat. we shoot different types of snapper, grouper, amber jacks... things of that sort.

Here in Slovenia, Croatia its illegal to hunt with tanks. You can hunt only by free diving and even then you need permits to do so... Now is about perfect time to hunt as sea cools and big fish come closer to shore. During the summer too many tourists and fish move away from all the commotion...

It's a lake trout, or mackinaw, depending on where you're from. Not sure where the state record stands these days, but I'm sure it's over 38lbs now. The water in Fremont Lake(pictured) is amazingly clear for a freshwater mountain lake. I got measured for a White's dry suit last year, just haven't dove since then.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Slovenia, Croatia its illegal to hunt with tanks. You can hunt only by free diving and even then you need permits to do so... Now is about perfect time to hunt as sea cools and big fish come closer to shore. During the summer too many tourists and fish move away from all the commotion...</div></div>

Permits to freedive? That sucks. Boating regs aside, non-commercial freediving/fishing is more or less a free for all here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a lake trout, or mackinaw, depending on where you're from. Not sure where the state record stands these days, but I'm sure it's over 38lbs now. The water in Fremont Lake(pictured) is amazingly clear for a freshwater mountain lake. I got measured for a White's dry suit last year, just haven't dove since then.
frown.gif
</div></div>

Whats the water temp like? I used to use a full suit, but we mostly just go in surf shorts and a rash guard here.

Here's another recent haul.
1resampled2012051513585.jpg

Permit to hunt (1 day ~10$, 3 days ~ 20$). You can free dive all you want or dare to (when crazy Italian tourists with their boats drive around) but if they catch you hunting you'll get the fine (best case) and if you dive with tanks and hunt usually they confiscate all equipment and boat (if used) and give you fine...

In Europe you need permits to take a dump everything is regulated...

PS: Nice collection..

Bottom temp(40ft) was 38-40 degrees. I've been diving that Scubapro semi-dry S-tek 7mil w/ a 7mil farmer john for a long time. A sweet dry suit will be a nice change. Haven't dove warm water for more than 10yrs. Sucks when life gets a hold of ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom temp(40ft) was 38-40 degrees. I've been diving that Scubapro semi-dry S-tek 7mil w/ a 7mil farmer john for a long time. A sweet dry suit will be a nice change. <span style="font-weight: bold">Haven't dove warm water for more than 10yrs</span>. Sucks when life gets a hold of ya. </div></div>

You need to go to Puerto Rico, I have been 90' down near Vieques in shorts and a BC and the water was bath warm.

To the OP's original comment on taking a step or 3 down the food chain, many years ago I was conducting survival training for my unit in the north Pacific and something ALOT bigger than me swam right under me. I somehow managed not to shit in my drysuit but it really put things in perspective.

The ocean, coastal brown bear territory or Africa, it is an eye opener to be on the menu.