• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any hope in overcoming weak-side dominance and poor eyesight?

BoomerVF14

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Hi all - Recently I've become interested in hitting targets at long range. Never been much of a shooter, Navy guy with only a few trips through the entry-level Army M4 qual course. Earned sharpshooter last time through, which I was pretty proud of. My pride in such a rudimentary accomplishment is that I have two handicaps when it comes to precision - I'm right-handed (too late in life to try to switch) but left-eye dominant. What's more, I have really (really!) bad astigmatism in that right eye. When I qual on an M4 with iron sights I see two targets most of the time.

I am captivated by all the hard work, mental effort and patience involved in hitting long-range targets and am kicking around the idea of getting into tactical rifle competition. I bought an AR in .300BLK not long ago - for personal defense and fun at the range mostly, not a hunter. I certainly intend to start small and master the basics - have a good 300yd range nearby. But before I start dropping thousands on an FFP scope and match grade ammo, I'd appreciate any candid comments on whether competition is even in the realm of feasibility given my limitations.

Anybody else out there working around similar issues? Any hope for me out beyond 300 yards?

I can't give personal account for being a great shot on 'support side' but I have seen guys shoot just as well with either hand even with non dominant eye and hand.. At worst it might take you a little more time to train yourself to shoot left.. But once you start you will get faster as you go and I would think your only limit will be your thought process about it

im in the same boat. right handed, strong left eye dominance. Shooting irons with my right eye is almost impossible because my right eye doesnt focus well. Even looking thru a scope i have a hard time getting my eye to focus. Sometimes when shooting at 100 yds 1 bullet hole will look like 2 side by side touching. Adjusting diopter doesnt change anything. Its an eye problem even just looking at objects with my right eye only and I already wear contacts. All that being said, i have been able to compete and do relatively well (for my experience and expectations) in the long range stuff ive competed in. Its kind of annoying at times and im looking into lasik soon to try to correct it but it can be done with enough practice i think. 1 plus is when i have to shoot support side in comps i feel just as confident left handed as i do right because my sight picture is so much clearer. Im just a little slower on the bolt shooting support side.

Roger all!

Thanks for the encouraging advice! Looking forward to my next range trip!

1) For shotgun shooting, shoot dominate eye. You will eventually figure out how to shoot non-dominant handed.

2) For rifle, GET GLASSES. For irons isghts, you might want to get glasses cut to focus on the front sight.

Consider getting your eyeball lasered.

I've spent more money on dumber things, and less money on much dumber things, but I can't think of a single thing in my life I've spent money on that I've been happier with.

I'd been considering it for years, but it was my shitty shooting when I wasn't wearing my glasses or contacts that ultimately pushed me over the edge. Wish I'd done it years earlier.

I am right handed in everything except shooting long guns due to left eye dominance. I started left handed as a kid and never switched. I shoot hand guns right handed. I have found this combination to have some benefits.

When I needed corrective lenses for handgun, I had a pair of lenses made with left eye focus where the front sight of the pistol is and right eye for distance correction. It sounds weird, but it works great. It takes a few minutes to get used to it and adapt.

The only time I shoot with my normal progressive lenses is with a bolt gun when I might want to dial the scope.

Wish someone would invent a prism that fit on the eye piece that could be swung to the left or right so the left handed right eyed guys and the right handed left eyed guys could both see and shoot better.

Wish someone would invent a prism that fit on the eye piece that could be swung to the left or right so the left handed right eyed guys and the right handed left eyed guys could both see and shoot better.

For shotgunning, the best combination is left eye/right hand or right eye/left hand.

This is because you need to shoot on the side of your eye dominance. And this puts your strong hand out on the fore end moving the gun. Stronger hand has more power and more control for moving the gun.

Great combo.

I know of several people who struggled by shooting their dominant hand with the other eye dominant in shotgunning. Each time I got one of them to switch, it was somewhat funny. As they could not load the shotgun (over and under), but then proceeded to shoot their highest ever score. :)