• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Any Howa Gunsmiths here?????

Re: Any Howa Gunsmiths here?????

Hi Mark, I am sure the Timney isn't standard, at least on any we've seen in OZ, I've got 2 Howa's and have replaced the triggers on both with MADDCO match units. The stock trigger in my experience is somewhere between an abortion and a abomination. Fitting the Maddco's made OK rifles realy good.
It is a real shame that more after market gear isn't available, Ken Farrell makes a steel rail, a few stock makers inlet for them, but not that much else.......YET
Regards Rob

I have one of my friend's Howas at the house right now since he is in the sandbox and the first time I took it out the factory trigger had to be 8 lbs. or more. I was pulling almost every shot and the best group I got out of it was a little more than 1 MOA at 100 yards. The flexible Hogue stock didn't help either.

Anyway, went home and disassembled the gun, followed a set of instructions I found here I believe on tuning the factory trigger, adjust the trigger pull weight and and sear engagement (I think?) and now it is a nice trigger that is pretty crisp and predictable. Bounced the rifle on the ground several times and also hard-cycled the bolt even more and could not make the trigger trip so all is safe so far. For people like me who don't have too much disposable income to spend on aftermarket triggers, the factory trigger is very serviceable and you can get down to 2-2.5 lbs. with it without doing much more than turning two screws IMO.

I'm realy pleased to see more and more howa's creeping into the semi custom rifle scene. They have been the best kept secret in this business for a few years.
Nice looking rifles there guys.

and what kind of after markerket parts are you looking for?

<span style="font-weight: bold">stocks: </span>
Manners
McMillan
Wild Dog
PSE
B&C

all make stocks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">want one that looks like an AI</span> ? we make a stock. thev RCS, soon to be upgraded to the RCS II, and also in a folding version by the end of 2010.

<span style="font-weight: bold">want a mag system.</span>
Both CDI and we make one.

<span style="font-weight: bold">want picatiny rails?</span>
heck, take your pick, there are several.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Triggers:</span>
the factory trigger is tunable to 500g fairly easily, some will go as low as 350g and are still 100% safe.
and ive got a Howa action on its way to Robert Chombard ( CG trigger designer) for the adaptation of the extreme tactical, 2 stage trigger to the Howa 1500.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt Handles:</span>
take your pick

one thing you dont need is a replacement recoil lug, replacement extractor or replacement bolt.

The Howa 1500 is a damn fine, solid, reliable, ergonomic, easy to work on, easy to use base for any custom rifle. and the damn things are not bad at all with a factory barrel. With a decent stock, lapped lugs, tuned trigger and a re crown, I have not seen one yet that wouldn't hold 1/2 MOA.

Thumbs up for the Howa !!

Pete

Pete Lincoln Clear your PM I got a queston on when you will have a 2.0 ACIS stock available for the Howa.

Thanks

box clear (ish) we will have a folding RCS II some time this year.
the more requests I get for folders, the quicker it will happen. ( thats not restricted to the howa model, as once a folder excists it will be available through all our models)
regards Pete

Mark, when you test fire your rifle once it is done, would you mind posting some target (group) shots here? I'd like to see how it will shoot after the work is done. Thank you!