• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any info. on 30/40 Krag?

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
First I appoligize if this is the wrong section for this question as I'm not sure the rifle/caliber in question falls under the category "sniper rifle"? I have a good friend who is turning 60 and is very interested in a lever action rifle chambered in 30/40 Krag. It is all he has been talking about and I would like to get one for his 60th. These are new to me so I am looking for any advise on what to look for/what to avoid. I have been looking at Winchester Model 1895s.

Any info./advise would be much appreciated.

Take care.

I have a 30-40 Krag at home,which is a bolt action. So my info for the lever action doesnt do any good.

The only thing I can say is,finding a good winchester lever action chambered in 30-40 krag is not going to be easy. You have to make sure the throat and the rifling in the barrel is still worthy if he is wanting to run rounds through it. All the actions I have found,move like a hot knife through butter. I would venture to say that if you do find a lever gun,run the action and it should be extremely smooth. If not,then its probly not in good condition.

Its hard these days to even find the correct ammo for them. And I have only seen a handful (10-12) good looking bolt action 30-40 Krag rifles in the 15 years since I received mine.

Thanks Facemelter! I have found several, all of which online (Gunbroker and such). My friend intends to use the rifle as well as have it for a conversation piece. Do you think purchasing one that has been reblued and restocked takes away from a rifle like this? I am thinking I would like to find one in good enough condition that he can take it out hunting without worry. I do have some collector type rifles; however, as I have grown up, I have gravitated toward new technology (tactical type firearms) so the nastalgia is somewhat lost with me. It seems to with this type of rifle, you would want the original??

Thanks again.

The biggest problem with 30/40 is ammo. It is best to be a reloader if you own anything in 30/40, which FYI shoots almost any bullet I have used so far using IMR 4350. I personally love my 1898 Krag, though that is a bolt action. It groups very well, and has a mild recoil. I do not know to much about the lever actions, but I do know that the 1895 did come in 30/40, but more 1895 rifles were chambered in 7.62x54r and sent to the Czars Army and never came back. There are a few other rifles out there that shoot 30/40, but I am not familiar with them, but over all its a fun round.

My 30-40 has not been re-blued or has the stock been messed with,could it use new blueing and the stock cleaned,not really. But the patina is all there and it makes it all that much better. I would prefer one that has not been messed with. I cringe when I see a "sporterized" Krag at a show or some thing and wonder why any one would take away from such a nice rifle and lop the stock off and put different sights on it and hack the barrel.

I picked up a sporterized 30/40 Krag from a friend's dad. I'm not into anything sporterized at all but this one was done well and probably done in the 1920's or 1930's. It has Lyman adjustable peep sights with no scope mounts. I was surprised it consistently shoots 2" or just under at 100 yards with some old factory Winchester ammo that came with it.

My bought me a un-molested '98 30-40 Krag, it shoots good, I'm going to use it along side my un-molested USGI in a 3 gun match next Saturday, I wont win of course but I bet I'll have more fun then anyone else.

It shoots dern good, I either use 220 RN bullets or cast bullets. It's also going to me my this year's deer rifle.

DSCN0061.JPG

That rifle is a good shooter. It's quite easy to aim and keep on target. The action is very sturdy. If you find one with a good barrel, it's a keeper.

I found that all my Krag's (2 1898, 1 1896,and 1 1899 carbine) shoot really well with the 170 grain Lyman 311291 cast gas checked bullet,

I wish I had bought dozens of the US Army Krag's when they were $100... they are wonderful rifles and many remain un-molested. They weren't sporterized as often as other rifles of the period.

Great gun. I still am on the hunt for a nice one. But figure now it will cost me an arm and a leg. THe Caliber is certainly a precursor of the .30-03 and the long-lived .30-06.

As far as a "lever" gun in .30/40... about the only thing out there is the 1895. And it's a rarish-caliber in a '95. So if he is really stuck on the combination of a lever gun and a Krag caliber... it's an expensive bit of kit. $2-4K for a lever. There may be a lever rifle (Savage 1899?) that was chambered for Krag that I am not aware of. But I think the 1895 was it.

Another option might be the Winchester re-issue of the high-wall in .30/40. That is, I think, their 1885. I may be wrong on that. But I think they have a reissue in .30/40 that is either currently or recently on the market. Not a true lever action repeater, but a dropping block with a lever release. Lovely rifles. Dead nuts accurate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. If you're buying one for your friend for his '60'th... I'd happily be your friend, too! And I'd be happy with an 1895 in any caliber. I can send my address if necessary! Very generous gift! Good on ya!