• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Any info?

southerngolfer

HACHIE CHACHIE DUNKIRINI
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
SWMO
My dad said this was my grandfathers. Does anybody have any info or ideas what this is from?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 209
Awesome piece of history!

Translated from the French section:

I am an American aviator. My airplane has been destroyed. I am an enemy of the Japanese. Could you be so kind to protect me, to take care of me and to lead me to the closest allied military post. My government will reimburse you.
I thought so too.

Thank you. I was going to look into translation sometime tomorrow.

I think it would be worth your time to get it evaluated. Even if it's not 100% authentic it's still a good item to display.

FYI:

It is what it is. My dad said he got it from his dad so that’s all I’m going off of. I doubt I’ll ever get it looked at
A beautiful gift from your Dad. I cant imagine its a fake, keep it an treasure what your Grandpap did.

Reactions: Doc68
I totally get sentimental value, however, one day there will be no one around that remembers grandpa. There’ll be this old flag ‘thing’ hanging in a dusty frame in a forgotten corner of the house. The only value this item will have is is its collector value. It would be a shame that it would end up in a goodwill donation bag because no one knew what it was. I’m not sure how one would go about getting something like this authenticated, however, that alone would substantially increase its collector value. And, as with all collectibles “buy the item, not the story...”

Reactions: 308pirate
maybe I'll look into the authentication process but like you mentioned, unaware where to get something like that done or completed. I'll read up on it on the interweb. I do remember seeing a local commercial about a war memorabilia store, maybe that could be a start?

it almost sounds like the jack nickelson story where his mother was his sister and whom he thought was his mother was his grand mother . My unclels sister twice removed brother .

Awesome piece of history!

Translated from the French section:

I am an American aviator. My airplane has been destroyed. I am an enemy of the Japanese. Could you be so kind to protect me, to take care of me and to lead me to the closest allied military post. My government will reimburse you.
Forgot one line earlier. Here is the corrected text:

I am an American aviator.
My airplane has been destroyed.
I do not speak your language.
I am an enemy of the Japanese.
Could you be so kind to protect me, to take care of me and to lead me to the closest allied military post.
My government will reimburse you.

Reactions: southerngolfer
Forgot one line earlier. Here is the corrected text:

I am an American aviator.
My airplane has been destroyed.
I do not speak your language.
I am an enemy of the Japanese.
Could you be so kind to protect me, to take care of me and to lead me to the closest allied military post.
My government will reimburse you.
for you to take the time to come back and retranslate the text, respect sir.

My dad said this was my grandfathers. Does anybody have any info or ideas what this is from?
Please keep that safe and preserve it. When I was a kid, my Dad's best friend was in Burma, he was a Veterinarian that kept the mule trains running on the Burma Trail. He had a very crude piece of jagged copper on a self, hand craved thank you from his Burmese mule tenders. As a DVM he removed a Burmese mans appendix, in a tent on the trail. These men were tougher than nails.