• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any issues with the new Savage rifles?

owtlaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
I am thinking about picking up one of the new Savage rifles with the bolt release on the bottom. Have any of you had any problems with them? Do they shoot as good as the older ones?

Shouldn't shoot any different. Keep in mind that going with a bottom bolt release version that ur choices of aftermarket stocks are very limited

I can't tell from the website. Are all the new Savages bottom bolt release?

Shouldn't shoot any different. Keep in mind that going with a bottom bolt release version that ur choices of aftermarket stocks are very limited

They are if you don't know how to use a dremel and don't have the 10 minutes needed to do the job. Otherwise, any stock with the same action screw spacing as the one you buy will work.
To answer your question, no difference in accuracy. Just a different style bolt release.
Bottom metal options are slightly limited, but CDI makes one, and xlr makes a chassis system for bottom bolt release rifles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't tell from the website. Are all the new Savages bottom bolt release?

No they aren't. Model 10ba and 110ba, model 10/110 fcp-hs are just a few of many that still have the conventional release.

If your going to leave it pretty much stock then go for it. I have used them successfully with the Boyd's Thumbhole laminates but some inletting was necessary. If you are looking for a new rifle as a basis for a build then get the Hog Hunter model. Sub $500 with the side bolt release and accutrigger. They also have functional barrels in medium varmint (.750 exit) and iron sights which can easily be taken off. The .308 is a 1:10 twist and the .223 is 1:9. The BA's are way over priced IMO. You can build a better shooter with an aftermarket barrel and a chassis system like XLR.

If your going to leave it pretty much stock then go for it. I have used them successfully with the Boyd's Thumbhole laminates but some inletting was necessary. If you are looking for a new rifle as a basis for a build then get the Hog Hunter model. Sub $500 with the side bolt release and accutrigger. They also have functional barrels in medium varmint (.750 exit) and iron sights which can easily be taken off. The .308 is a 1:10 twist and the .223 is 1:9. The BA's are way over priced IMO. You can build a better shooter with an aftermarket barrel and a chassis system like XLR.

+1
Agreed, that's what I did and I don't regret it a bit. The xlr chassis is amazing and that savage will out shoot you.

Hey bodywerkz, how do dremel a mcree or aics?l like i said or others, it is better to stay with a side bolt release unless the rifle will always stay factory.

Then you take option number 2 and order a side bolt release sear and file or mill the receiver as needed. Filing or dremeling is free(or $50 labor for a machinist), and the sear is only $8.
I agree that side bolt release is less headache but sometimes price or availability limit options...

Yes. the hawg hunter is the best deal going right now if you aren't going to leave the rifle in factory configuration.

I dont own one myself but I understand part of the problem with their rifles is that they cost less than comparable guns yet shoot as well.

Might be two reasons why people I know that do own them speak highly of them.

I dont own one myself but I understand part of the problem with their rifles is that they cost less than comparable guns yet shoot as well.

Might be two reasons why people I know that do own them speak highly of them.

Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me, lower cost & equal performance, sounds like a "win-win!"

I just picked a 10TR, stupid price, great specs, and the new bottom bolt release. I have no issues with slightly modifying a stock to accommodate.

Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me, lower cost & equal performance, sounds like a "win-win!"

I just picked a 10TR, stupid price, great specs, and the new bottom bolt release. I have no issues with slightly modifying a stock to accommodate.

Doesnt sound like a problem to me either its just not natural for something to be too good and true.

Tactical guys where I work tried them out and thought out of the box they were very capable. I watch a couple enthusiasts make small holes with them at my club. I only have three/four examples to go on but based on their knowledge/ability I think there is something to it.

Disclaimer - My job went with another rifle mainly based on deep pockets, what was in inventory, after market parts availability.

I think a lot of people may look down on Savage for its budget pricing but the owners must get great satisfaction when they can smoke the guy that spent all his money on comparable equipment.

Last edited:
I'm having a very hard time trying to find a 10 tr available for sale to mere civilians. Also how do you guys like the accustocks?