• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any luck with CFE in a 308 gas gun?

Re: Any luck with CFE in a 308 gas gun?

Temp sensitive if you ask me. 168 Amax over 46.6 gr CFE223 cratered pirimers, ejector marks, ejector pulling & bending back rims....
(bent rims with higher charges). I got scared & stopped. It was 83F that day.
68F no problems with pressure at all with charges up to 48.3 gr CFE.

With 178 Amax I went max charge of 47.1 gr CFE on that same 83F day and not bad signs like with the .168's, except just little cratering. 178's on the 68F day everything beautiful. Still trying to refine a top group with it.

I am going to run 175 SMK's, at least that is the plan. I have shot up all my oddball stuff, I may need to stock back up on some different bullet weights again.

Loading this up for a FNAR. I have owned it a couple of months now and still have not even initial cleaned it. Guess I better get on that.

I tried 46.5 grs. of CFE223 with a Nosler 175 OTM. I shot this load in my bolt gun with no pressure issues.

I tried the same load in my 24" bbl. SR-25. First round, I blew a primer and I stopped there, obviously too hot. I will have to adjust the load down a bit, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

My advice is to start a little low from Hodgdon's data.